Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Current food obsession?

I have a new breakfast that I am addicted to! It's 1/2 cup of Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Flax cereal, 2 spoonfuls of wheat germ and a container of Vosko's fat free Greek yogurt with honey - AWESOME! Filling, delicious and around 300 calories.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Baked oatmeal.

I found the recipe online somewhere and modified it to fit my diet.

It's basically whole oats, egg whites, applesauce, nuts, dried fruit, and honey ... baked for an hour. One batch makes 8 servings, so I cut it up into portions and bring it to work with me every morning. Some mornings I'll microwave it and throw a little low fat yogurt on it, and some mornings I'll just eat it like a soft breakfast-bar type of thing.

But I'm addicted to them. I can't imagine what I did before this recipe!

Other than that, sunflower seeds. I've found a local brand here that's roasted w/out salt and tastes yummy. I have a small serving in the afternoons at work every day before I go to the gym - it's a little protein to keep me going.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/167.5/135

Height: 5'2

pickles - 0 points (i hope)!
veracitarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Seafood... I have been eating fish and shrimps... mmm shrimps... and the other night, I went out and paid $8 for ONE LEG of a King Crab.... MMmmmm... And it is all Low calorie/low points as long as it isn't slathered in butter.

Mmmm... shrimps... I have some for lunch...
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Annie's Naturals Tuscan Italian Dressing. It's the super market and lower cal (80/serving) version of the expensive stuff I can *maybe* find at Whole Foods. I have been searching high and low for something that matches the taste and I have found it!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Grilled chicken breast covered with homemade bbq sauce and topped with sliced avocado and thin-sliced Swiss cheese

oooh, and salads! I used to steer clear of salads because I only like them with a lot of high-cal dressing, but now I make my own dressings, so they're lower in calories, fat, and sugar, and I am falling in love with salads all over again! My favorites are:
  • romaine lettuce, baby spinach, grilled chicken, sliced almonds, and Asian sesame dressing
  • romaine lettuce, baby spinach, chopped avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cucumber (w/skin still on), broccoli florets, grilled chicken, and thousand island dressing (also good with cubed ham instead of chicken and hard boiled egg)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Jilly, I'm SO happy for you. You're eating vegetables. Yay!!!! This is just GREAT news!!! Okay, so what kind of salad dressing are you making? Do tell. Do tell.

Glory, that cereal sounds YUMMY.

I am back into stir fries. I used to eat them a lot and had stopped and now I'm eating them almost every day again. I use tons of zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower and onions. Brown it in a little cooking spray and then add a pinch of chicken consomme, a drop of soy sauce, a 1/2 tsp of sugar free apricot preserves, garlic and ginger. Delicious!

I've also been eating cucumber salad 2X a day now for at least 2 or 3 months. Is that obsession? Come to think of it, I've been eating the same Danon Light and Fit Yogurt for well over a year now. Is THAT an obsession? Hmmmm? I wonder.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Jilly, I'm SO happy for you. You're eating vegetables. Yay!!!! This is just GREAT news!!!
haha, I know. It's a BIG step for me. I have South Beach to thank. It's still not much variety--still just the very few veggies I always could handle (broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, baby spinach, cauliflower, and small amounts of onion here and there), but it's definitely more in quantity. Although, I am eating more Splenda than I would like, I suppose it's worth the tradeoff if I'm eating more veggies and losing weight.

I posted my salad dressing recipes in the South Beach recipes section:
Thousand Island
Asian Sesame Dressing

Last edited by jillybean720; 02-14-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm proud of you too Jilly, You? eating veggies? It does take time to make veggies a permanent part of your life.

My recent obsessions include my morning spinach shake (spinach and other veggies along with fruit), soy yogurt and berries as a desert and mock tuna salad (made with chickpeas). I also eat 2 salads per day and really enjoy them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I've also been eating cucumber salad 2X a day now for at least 2 or 3 months. Is that obsession? Come to think of it, I've been eating the same Danon Light and Fit Yogurt for well over a year now. Is THAT an obsession? Hmmmm? I wonder.
Heh, I eat the same things over and over too. Berries EVERY morning. Cut up veggies (grape tomatoes, red pepper strips, baby carrots, sugar snap peas) EVERY day.

Heck - until my recent granola/yogurt kick, I ate kashi waffles every day for over 2 years!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

ooooh ... cucumbers. This summer they were my obsession. Soooo yummy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I'm proud of you too Jilly, You? eating veggies? It does take time to make veggies a permanent part of your life.

My recent obsessions include my morning spinach shake (spinach and other veggies along with fruit), soy yogurt and berries as a desert and mock tuna salad (made with chickpeas). I also eat 2 salads per day and really enjoy them.
Me too!!! I now have to have one after my workout/before bed.

So satisfying.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a couple of new obsessions:
Grapefruit: I've been getting locally grown yellow grapefruit at the farmers' market and pink grapefruit from Trader Joe's. Both are so sweet I cannot believe they are only 9 calories an oz. I eat it on my yogurt and cereal in the morning; in a salad with cabbage, roasted onions, fennel, and light chevre for lunch; and with sweetened yogurt in a parfait for my evening snack. Yes, I am eating grapefruit three times a day!
Kohlrabi: I've discovered I love this veggie. I've been slicing it up and eating it raw and putting it in my dinner salad.

Also, here are my long-term obsessions:
Greek Yogurt and Cereal: My favorite breakfast for the past year has been 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt with 1/2 cup high fiber cereal and 2 oz of fruit. I've eaten this just about every weekday for at least the past year. But if I can find that pumpkin flax cereal I just might try it in place of the high fiber cereal.
Hot Cereal: I eat a bowl of oatmeal (well, Trader Joe's multi-grain cereal which is like oatmeal but with other grains), cream of wheat, or coco wheats as a snack every day. I think I've been doing this for at least six months.
Fiber One Muffins: I make muffins out of Fiber One cereal and I eat one as a snack every day with non-fat cream cheese. I think I've been doing this for a year or so.
Homongous Green Salad: I have one almost every day with dinner. Around 8 oz--I eat it out of mixing bowl because my salad bowls aren't big enough. I think I've been doing this for at least two years now.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
...I eat it out of mixing bowl because my salad bowls aren't big enough.
hehe, I eat my salads out of a big Tupperware container for this same reason! I take a big plastic container, fill it up with all my salad, add dressing, put the lid on, and shake it to distribute the dressing (for ome reason, when I just mix it with my fork, I end up making a mess and still not getting enough dressing throughout). I will say my salad bowls are kept in very nice shape since they are almost never used
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I eat my salad out of a serving bowl. A BIG serving bowl. I LOVE that you can eat an enormous amount of it.

Jilly, I'm really thrilled for you. I checked out that Asian dressing. It sounds FABULOUS. I wouldn't be surprised though, if you can elminate most of that oil and replace it with water, yup, water. If and when you decide you want to bring down your calories a tad, you might want to give it a try. Oh, and I too am using a bit too much Splenda. I am working on it though.

Glory, I feel so fortunate that I am able to still enjoy so many of the foods that I started out eating when I began this journey. It seems so weird to other folks that I eat so many of the same foods day after day. But not the people here. Now I wonder why that is? I really don't. I think it's been one of the keys to success for me as well as many of the other success stories around here. Glory, I'd think we'd hit it off so well if we were ever to meet in person.

Barbara, those muffins are a good idea. Maybe one of these days, I'll give it a try.

All right, time for me to go slice up some cucumbers and make me some salad before I head to work.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote