Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #1  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Red face HELP! I'm craving and I can't stop!

OK, everybody. I am currently in the midst of a full-blown snack attack. I want desperately to buy a mid-afternoon snack from the vending machine. But I haven't planned for it today, and I'm not even hungry, so I know I shouldn't. EVEN STILL... I WANT Welch's grape fruit snacks!!!!!

So instead, I'm here to figure out how you all manage to avoid giving in to these cravings. I've been struggling with nighttime snacking lately, and I know that you guys all successfully avoid it. Teach me?
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #2  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I've been eating smaller meals more often throughout the day. It TOTALLY Helps.

Have a sensible breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner and then an evening snack

I plan my snacks (e.g. a cup of japanese rice crackers, 3 melba toasts with a wedge of Laughing cow cheese, an apple, a cheese string, yes even sometimes a single portion size fruit snack) and bring them with me to work so I don't get the urge to buy something a little less healthy.

Because my DH started working 12 hours, we don't have dinner until about 6:30 - 7:00. My mid afternoon snack REALLY helps me until then. Then I don't even feel like an evening snack after dinner

Overall I stay strictly between 1300 - 1500 cals per day. With the exception of a cheat meal on friday nights.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 02-12-2008 at 06:32 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, planning and making sure you have an alternative snack can help. That way you can sometimes get through it without giving in.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #4  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Oh goodness, I know the Snack Fairy all too well! She and I were best friends until I kicked her to the curb a few weeks ago.

Two things really help me keep my snacking under control: Protein and WATER. When a snack craving hits me, I always have a really cold bottle of water within reach. It keeps my mouth busy, tricks my tummy into thinking it's fully, and honestly, sometimes I'm just thirsty and get hunger and thirst confused.

I try to make sure that my earlier meals and snacks have a good amount of protein in them so that I'm not tempted to snack later on in the day, because the protein keeps me satisfied and energized.

Distraction is something a last resort for me, which often involves lacing up my sneakers and getting off my butt, even if it's just running up and down stairs.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't have issues with nighttime snacking (I'm very rarely hungry after dinner) but I ALWAYS ALWAYS want to eat eat eat in the afternoons. Probably because I was a latch key kid and that's all I did every afternoon, watch TV, be bored and eat eat eat.

When I first started out, I kept a food journal to see when why and what I ate. I didnt eat much in the morning and didn't eat much after dinner (well, except a ginormous bowl of ice cream almost every night) but I ate alllll afternoon. The store downstairs had buy 1 get 1 free pastries, so I usually had: a venti latte, a pastry of some sort and either a pack of M&Ms or yogurt pretzels - every day! I liked to eat in the afternoon!

So, I plan to eat lunch at 12, a snack at 1, snack at 3, snack at 5 and plenty of herbal tea during the afternoon. They are small snacks (no sugar added cocoa, fruit, veggies) but I always have something to look forward to.

For you, you should definitely always have a healthy snack on hand - I like to keep some dried fruit (especially mangos) or Nectar bars in my desk. Snack attacks are unplanned, it's better to have ammunition around if you need it. What if you get stuck late at work? Better to have a good option around instead of the dreaded snack machine.

I just faced down temptation myself. There were a bunch of leftover cookies from a meeting in the break room. Even though I had a yummy tangelo, I couldn't stop thinking about those cookies - they were oatmeal raisin, I don't even particularly LIKE oatmeal raisin, but I wanted a cookie in the worst way.

I just held firm. I got some tea. I ate my tangelo. I got busy at work. 30 minutes have passed and now I am over the cookie thing (hopefully).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #6  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, everybody. These are all great ideas. I normally do a much better job of having healthy snacks on hand. Today I brought a ziploc with raw peppers, raw snap peas, and cherry tomatoes... And I brought a Kashi bar, as well. Sadly, that was gone a while ago. I guess I'm just in a snacky mood? I'm not hungry, I just want something. Maybe it's boredom (it's been a slow day at work).

But, the good news: The Girl Scout cookies that I laid out for the office to share yesterday are still out there, waiting to be eaten. But, I haven't yet had one. I'm desperately hoping they're gone by tomorrow, as I don't know if I can be strong 3 days in a row!

Thanks again, everybody. It's nearly time to go home, which means I'll forget about snacking and focus on making a healthy dinner.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotigergirl View Post
But, the good news: The Girl Scout cookies that I laid out for the office to share yesterday are still out there, waiting to be eaten. But, I haven't yet had one. I'm desperately hoping they're gone by tomorrow, as I don't know if I can be strong 3 days in a row! .
Girl Scout cookies meet trashcan, trashcan meet Girl Scout cookies.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

I had a problem with the 'snack attacks' this weekend and it is not easy to overcome. I ended up having too many calories and had to adjust for the rest of the day. But, like you it wasn't that I was hungry - I just wanted to EAT!

For the record, I try to avoid that doing probably the same things you are doing: preparing, preparing, preparing! Also, I like to have gum or hard candy on hand for when I need something sweet and frequent meals seem to help as well.

Good luck to you!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #9  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Girl Scout cookies meet trashcan, trashcan meet Girl Scout cookies.
lol!! omg you crack me up!
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #10  
KharaarahK

S/C/G: 220/214/160

Height: 5'5''

Personally, I noticed if I eat carbs I start to get cravings and they can be unbearable... but it could be many reasons, likely the bordom, as you said. Not to mention you have cookies nearby and trying so hard to resist them is probably making you want something - maybe your body is saying "if I can't have a cookie, then give me fruit snacks! Something, anything!!"
KharaarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I just try to pay attention to my hunger cues. Some days I may have 3 afternoon snacks (around 100 cals.) and others I may not have any. I keep any # of the 100 calorie snack packs (both salty and sweet) at my desk. Then I have yogurt in the fridge along with some fruits and veggies and boiled eggs. That way I'm not limited in my choices and will usually have something on hand to help me through the afternoon and not resort to going and buying something unhealthy.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

You've gotten some great suggestions here. But, one of the most awesome things you did was post!! Folks will try and help the best way they can.

BTW - I bought Girl Scout Cookies this year....they have a program where you can buy them and have them donated to the local food bank. That's what I did.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #13  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Does the vending machine have gum or mints? That can help satisfy the sweet tooth without the calories.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #14  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Today I had a bit of the snack attacks, but there was a little birdie on my shoulder today saying "you will feel so bad if you eat something you shouldnt " For me, when I have something that is not on my plan, I go off plan the rest of the day. Now, I think before it goes in my mouth. I just hate that guilty feeling.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/244/160

Height: 5'3"

I have been starving allllll day. No matter what I ate. I did some snacking but not bad stuff. I had a 100 cal. pack and apple sauce and some dried fruit. Hopefully the weigh in will be good tomorrow.
dali78 is offline   Reply With Quote