Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Under desk exercise bikes?

Does anyone use a mini exercise bike for under their desk at work? I am looking into this because I am a receptionist and I cannot leave my desk unless someone else comes up and relieves me, which leaves me trapped here most of the day. I get really restless and tired from not moving all day, so I wanted to get something I could use under my desk to keep my legs moving and burn some extra calories. I certainly don't need a major workout from it, just something to keep me moving and my circulation going. I looked at a few on Amazon but I'd like to hear some reviews from people here if you've used one. Some seem to get really hot after a few minutes of use, others might be too tall to work under the desk properly. Any recommendations??
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Here's my thought about these under-desk types of things.

For any exercise to be beneficial, you need to really raise your heart rate. To do that with an under-desk type of machine, you're going to need to put out some serious leg movement which is going to ... well, make you look really silly behind your desk!

I personally would check out some books on isometric exercises and stretches, or a book on some yoga postures you can practice at your desk.

Here's a WebMD article about exercising at your desk:
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...e-at-your-desk

Some oft he things you won't be able to do since you can't leave, but some of them might help you feel more energetic and not quite so sedentary behind the desk. I do a lot of the strength building ones at my desk - the desk chair pushups have made a huge difference in my wrists and arms over the last month or so!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 02-12-2008 at 11:29 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #3  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I'd actually disagree with you, PhotoChick. I agree that for something to "count" as a workout, you need to get your heart rate up, but in terms of just burning extra calories, any kind of activity that gets you moving will help. For example, there have been studies done to show that "fidgeters" burn more calories. Chances are, their heart rate isn't going up because of it, but a few calories here and there definitely add up. You're right that under desk activities won't really burn muscle, but I say anything is better than just sitting there.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #4  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

That sounds awesome, I've never heard of it until now. I am used to doing isometric exercises while at work. THings like squeezing my legs together or pushing up with my feet so that I'm not quite fully sitting down in my chair. Helps a lot and I've noticed more leg tone since I've started.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #5  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I'm not expecting to get a real workout with this thing, but I know it's bad to sit all day with very little activity. At least it will keep the circulation in my legs going.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

My sister is an OTR truck driver, and she uses one (she needed something that would fit in her truck), and loves it.

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #7  
diamondgeog

Great link...was very helpful. I think everything counts. Do not forget that strength training is as important as cardio. And you can do some strength training very quickly at your desk: desk pushups, bring a pair of dumbbells, exercise bands, etc.

And just stepping in place, stretching, a lot of stuff gets your blood flowing and I am sure has many positive benefits. A LOT more than strictly cardio counts toward better health.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My grandpa, under doctor's orders, is using one. As you said, it's more for circulation, which is what they want him to use it for. He is to use it 3 times a day to help with the circulation in his legs. I checked it out. And no, you're not really going to get a workout with it. It will burn a "few" calories, but I think the only real use is just to help with circulation.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote