Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 08:51 AM   #1  

Wink Light Sauce For Pumpkin Ravioli

I am looking for a light sauce for Pumpkin Ravioli that would be low in Points and not overpower the delicate ravioli.

Can anyone help me? I've made the ravioli with the Wonton wrappers and it was so easy.... Thanks, as usual. Arlene
Old 05-15-2002, 03:12 PM   #2  

Hi,

I saw the title of your post and thought.. hmm that sounds good. I looked around and found these two recipes...( I found another one for hazelnut cream sauce!!but we won't even go there In the sauce below, I am sure you could substitute skim/low fat milk and have it be quite good as well as reducing the amount of oil

1 c Shelled pumpkin seeds
1/2 c Onion
-chopped
1 ea Slice white bread
-torn into small pieces
1 ea Clove garlic
-crushed
2 tb Oil
2 tb Green chilies
-chopped
14 oz Chicken broth
1/2 c Whipping cream
Salt

Cook pumpkin seeds, onion, bread and garlic in oil, stirring
frequently, until bread is golden brown. Stir in chiles.

Place mixture in food processor workbowl fitted with steel blade;
cover and process until smooth. Stir in broth, whipping cream and
salt.

Here is one for a sweet pepper sauce

2 teaspoons olive oil
3 large red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon marjoram, oregano, or sage
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

1. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add bell peppers, onion and garlic, and cook until very soft, about 15 minutes.

2. Stir in tomato paste, marjoram, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water; cover and cook until peppers and onion are meltingly tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Transfer bell pepper mixture to food processor and process to smooth puree. Return puree to skillet. Add 1/2 cup water if necessary and bring to a simmer.

Good luck.. hope these turn out for you
Old 05-15-2002, 07:27 PM   #3  

Thank you Linda. I will give them a try. The pumpkin ravioli went over so big that my daughter wants me to make them again tomorrow.

Thank you for your quick response.

Arlene
Old 05-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #4  

I've got to ask....pumpkin ravioli? Please enlighten me.
Old 05-17-2002, 02:25 PM   #5  

Smile pumpkin ravioli-Very Delicious!!!

Hello Mrs. Domino and LindaT,

Here is the recipe I made twice this week. BIG HIT. The first time was with the Butter Basil Sauce.... a little too high in Fat content but tasty. The second time was the pumpkin sauce that appears below. This was not a thick sauce but it went well with the delicate ravioli. The Won Ton wrappers sure saved a lot of time.

I will definiately use WonTon Wrappers again but with another filling.

Pumpkin-Filled Cappelletti

Pumpkin puree makes this pasta stuffing easy; make a double or even triple batch of cappelletti and freeze the filled pasta for holiday dinners (use them within three months of freezing). For the simple yet delicious sauce , heat a little butter with some crumbled fresh or dried sage. The herb's slightly bitter flavor provides a perfect foil for the sweet filling.

Below is a sauce that I adapted and we liked it very much.

Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 tablespoon part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 amaretti cookie (1-inch diameter), crushed into fine crumbs ( I did not use this cookie)

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pound Fresh Pasta Dough (page 50) I used 3" WonTon Wrappers instead. One batch of this filling made about 25 ravioli… So I would double the filling and use all of the wrappers.

1. Combine the pumpkin puree, ricotta, Parmesan, cookie crumbs (opt), salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
2. Lightly dust a countertop with flour. Place a sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Break off a chunk of pasta dough the size of a lemon; cover the remaining dough. Using a roller-type pasta machine, roll the dough as thin as possible. Set on the floured counter and trim to form a 6 x 18-inch rectangle. Omit if using WonTon Wrappers.

3. With a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut the dough into 3-inch squares. One at a time, put 1/2 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square; fold in half to make a triangle. Seal the edges and fold back the peaked edge. Holding gently between your index finger and thumb with the point up, wrap around your index finger and press the ends lightly to seal. As you finish sealing each cappelletti, place it on the wax paper, making sure it doesn't touch any others. Repeat with the remaining dough (incorporate scraps into your next sheets) and filling to make 48 cappelletti. Refrigerate, uncovered, until ready to use, up to 8 hours, or freeze them first on the wax paper-lined baking sheet, then in zip-close plastic bags up to 1 month. (They are easier to handle when frozen.) Do not thaw before cooking.

4. To cook, gently drop the cappelletti, a few at a time, into a large pot of boiling water; if fresh, make sure they don 't stick to one another. Cook until tender, 7-8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a serving bowl. Add the sauce of your choice and toss gently.

Per serving 290 Calories, 6 9 Total Fat, 2 9 Saturated Fat, 165 mg Cholesterol, 423 mg Sodium, 44 g Total Carbor,1g Dietary Fiber, 13 g Protein, 117 mg Calcium

WW POINTS per serving 6 (without the Sauce)

PUMPKIN SAUCE

1 onion, chopped fine or shallots
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine (Omitted since Kelly doesn’t like Peppers)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (6 WW points)
1/2 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (I would increase to 3/4 cup)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons heavy cream ( I used light cream) (2 WW Points)
About 1-2 TBSP fresh sliced basil
freshly grated nutmeg to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
freshly grated Parmesan as an accompaniment –use sparingly

In a large skillet cook the onion, the bell pepper (opt), and the garlic in the butter over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, stir in the pumpkin, the broth, the water, the cream, the nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the basil at the end. While the sauce is simmering, in a kettle of salted boiling water boil add the ravioli and simmer for about 6 – 7 minutes. Carefully remove ravioli with slotted spoon. Do not pour into a strainer. They are very delicate.

Add some of the sauce to the top of ravioli and serve a separate dish of sauce on the table. Sprinkle with a little parm cheese.

I thought this sauce was a little thin, thus the reason I’d increase the pumpkin to 3/4 of a cup. I had plenty of sauce leftover, so I froze it to see if I could reuse it at a later date.

This was a big it. We preferred this pumpkin sauce to the melted butter.

WW points for the sauce only is about 8 points for the entire recipe…I would say you are using not even using 2 points normally.
Closed Thread