Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Pineapple

I don't eat much pineapple but I have been eyeing it at Costco.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=34

Food of the Week . . . Pineapple
Pineapple is our food of the week and is in the peak of its season. Did you know that pineapple is not only a great source of vitamin C, but also contains unique compounds that help digest proteins and provide anti-inflammatory protection? The bromelain found in fresh pineapples is a member of a group of sulfur-containing, protein-digesting, enzymes that not only aid digestion, but also can effectively reduce inflammation and swelling, and has even been used experimentally as an anti-cancer agent. Bromelain is found in both the flesh and stem of pineapple. Since bromelain is deactivated by heat, pineapple juice and canned pineapple are not good sources of this health-promoting enzyme. A variety of inflammatory agents are inhibited by the action of bromelain. In clinical human trials, bromelain has demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory effects, reducing swelling in inflammatory conditions such as acute sinusitis, sore throat, arthritis and gout, and speeding recovery fr! om injuries and surgery. For maximum anti-inflammatory protection, it is best to eat pineapple alone between meals, so its enzymes are not used to digest food.

5-Minute Ginger Pineapple

Ginger adds a great zing to pineapple in this easy-to-prepare dessert.
5-Minute Ginger Pineapple Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1/2 medium pineapple
* 1 tsp finely minced fresh ginger

Directions:

1. Cut pineapple into 1-inch chunks.
2. Combine pineapple and minced ginger in a bowl and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.

Serves 2

Healthy Cooking Tips:

Best eaten within an hour.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I love pineapple. SO MUCH. It is probably my favorite fruit.

I love to take a pineapple, slice it into chunks, wrap the chunks in aluminium foil...jam in a few cinnamon sticks and a a split vanilla bean, cut into 4 pieces...just sort of distribute them throughout the pineapple chunks, seal up into a packet, and roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or so. The pineapple gets caramelized and tender, and infuses with the cinnamon and vanilla. This is amazing with yogurt or even lowfat ice cream. YUM.

I also have been known to take slices and grill them, top with a squeeze of lime juice, and serve with 1/4 cup of rainbow sherbet or vanilla ice cream. Also really good - the lime brings out all the fabulous pineappley-ness, and it gets all warm and browned and gorgeous on the grill.

Mostly, though, I just eat it plain. Mmmm.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I LOVE pineapple. It's so good, especially when you get a really sweet, soft and juicy one. YUMMM. I've only had it just by it's lonesome, which has always been good enough for me, unitl I just heard Mandalinn's recipe with the vanilla and cinnamon. That has definitely got my mouth watering.

I don't eat it that often, because well, it's kind of a large fruit and I tend to overeat it. I do buy it every now and then for a weekend treat. The whole family loves it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah - I am SO trying that recipe.

I can eat pineapple until the sides of my mouth hurt.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love pineapple too! I bought one at the store last week and have been making 'parfaits' with it. Saute the pineapple with a dash of sugar or honey (water, no oil), then mix with vanilla yogurt and toasted coconut, then chill in the fridge or freezer. Really yummy!!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #6  

Pineapple is one of my faves. Just got a small one for $1.69 and it smells great. I find that if I keep it well sealed it lasts for at least 5 days and as my one cup of fruit in the morning works out perfectly. Of course that leaves a chunk or two every morning for my faithful labrador - he is a fruit & veggie nut.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Did you know that 1 oz of pineapple is lower in calories than 1 oz of grapes? It's even lower in calories (okay, by only 1 calorie) than 1 oz of apple. Yet it is so sweet and delicious, who would have thunk it?

It is interesting that it shows up on the healthiest food list. I'm currently reading about the sugar-busters diet (which it is looking less and less likely that I'm going to bother with) and it is one of the few fruits that the diet doesn't allow. It is supposed to have a high glycemic index.

I love pineapple mixed in with cottage cheese. Just something about that flavor combination really works for me. Mandalinn's vanilla and cinnamon recipe sounds yummy as well, I'm definitely trying that once I get off my grapefruit kick.

When my SO and I went to Kauai, we found a fruit stand that sold pineapple frosties. They froze pineapple, then ran it through a grinder to make it slushy. No sugar or any other ingredients, just ground up frozen pineapple, but it tasted like ice cream. And, of course, the pineapple you can get in Hawaii is so much better than what you can get here.

I never buy a whole pineapple because my SO won't eat it and there's no way I could go through a whole one by myself. I buy the Dole fresh pineapples that are already cut up (it's sold in the produce section, not the canned stuff). It's one of the few types of fresh produce that I don't buy at the farmers' market.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I love pineapple and anything that is natural and sweet is for me lol. Helps to get rid of the sweet tooth and fits real nice into our four basic food groups. If your going to eat carbs, natural is the way to go.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

It's interesting that you are suppose to eat it raw and in between meals. I can't do that, the acid just eats at my stomach. I can sometimes handle it raw if it's with a meal, but I rarely buy it since most pineapples have to travel so far before they reach the stores. It is yummy though.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Actually, one of my favorite ways to eat pineapple is with salt. It is a nice sweet/salty taste. Although I don't usually add salt to my foods much any more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #11  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
And, of course, the pineapple you can get in Hawaii is so much better than what you can get here.
One of the reasons why I'm TOTALLY looking forward to Hawaii in August. Pineapple is one of my all time favorite foods!
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #12  
LLV

I love pineapple too, but I use it in unusual ways.... I put it on pizza and on sandwiches and in my pitas. I love pitas made with ham, swiss cheese, onions and pineapple.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I love it as well. I had it every morning on the cruise. In fact, I tried to have watermelon, pineapple, honey dew and cantaloupe. The pineapple and watermelon were the only ones that tasted good. So, 2 larges chunks of each were on my breakfast plate and sometimes on the lunch one as well. It tasted great after my smoked salmon omelet, made with Egg Beaters.

I remember my BIL talking about having to drop pineapple when he went on the SB diet because of the high sugar content.

We had it at a fondue restaurant a few years ago. (ahem! before I altered my eating program). It was served with the chocolate dessert. I didn't realize how much I would love chocolate and pineapple together. However, that was then and this is now!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #14  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

I'm actually not a fan of pineapple, but I know it's really good for me so I try to "hide" it in smoothies.

Here's one of my favourite recipes:
http://www.oxygenmag.com/main.php?page=7&id=124
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I LOVE pineapple. Meijer sells little 7oz cups of cubed pineapple. I buy those 2/$3 so I don't have to mess with cutting it all up and so I have it portioned out. I usually eat one a day.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote