Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default How close do you usually get to your calorie/day goal?

Mine was 1200 for today, and according to Calorie King I was at 1198, 2 calories away... I had to eat a few more light snacks to get to 1200. I think I was eating too little the last week or so and I didn't have energy. Strange for someone who put on 25 lbs in two years!

According to this Calorie King program I downloaded today, if I keep this up with exercise like today - about 45 min hard, I'll lose 6-7 lbs in a month! I'm going to counting calories and eating healthy foods, not low carbing it anymore.

Just wondering how close others come to their daily goal, do you keep track all day long or just "know" after awhile what porportions and how many calories per meal? Like 300-400 per meal, and 100-200 snacks? I think I"m starting to "get it..." this weight loss game and how it works. Hopefully it will WORK.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm usually within 50 either way of my goal - which is 1300 a day.

My upper limit is 1500, and so I try to plan my meals with that little bit of padding.

After this long, though, I do kind of just "know", like you said. I know what combination of things I can have for breakfast and lunch and dinner ... it's just when we eat out that I have to double check. And a lot of times I find that I"m very close on my "guesstimates" of what I'm eating.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't have a goal so much as a range, and I aim for the lower end of that range as much as I can. This allows me, if I'm hungry, to eat a little more. I usually end up fairly near the middle of my 200-calorie "OK" range.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

If I want to be serious about things, I have to write it down. Not because I don't know what the calories are -- after several years, I do. But because if I don't write it down I am less likely to be accountable for what I eat. Sad but true!

In the year plus that I was serious about losing weight, I logged what I ate every day. Now that I'm maintaining, there are plenty of days I don't. But I tend to eat more on those days...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Logging everything every day seems to work best for me. When I started my weight loss, there were plenty of foods I just didn't have a clue about, calorie-wise. I know a lot more now, and if I'm not tracking, I can come pretty close--but tracking makes me more accountable. Helps me ignore that little voice that says, "Oh, go on, have another...."

I don't come in tight to the same number every day. What I watch most closely is the calorie restriction every day. The way I use FitDay, I have my daily burn set to sedentary, and I add any exercise. I set up a goal weight with a time span, and that calculation tells me what my restriction needs to be to reach the goal. So, if I meet or exceed that restriction, I'm on track.

I want to add that I've never actually met a goal right on in the time span allotted--but that doesn't worry me as long as the pounds are dropping. It's just a tool, not the end of the world!

Jay
P.S. I use the downloaded version.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #6  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I also use the d/l version of Fit Day and love it.

Something i do at work is, i tally up my calories on my adding machine that sits on my desk... that way the number is always there for me to know what i have eaten already for the day and know what i have left. It does help to curb snack attacks.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i stay close..i don't hit it right on target...but i set a range of 1600-1650 a day...and i am usually in the range. I have the calorieking pda version on my palm...and i love it...my palmpilot fits in my purse and goes everywhere with me. I don't need to be by a computer...and do it anytime....it definately helps me stay on course
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I write everything down, too. If I don't keep track I will go way over my calorie allowance. Most of the time I stay on target, but if I go over I don't beat myself up over it.I try to stay within a range of 200 calories or so.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #9  

How about calorieking on the palm or cell phone? Fitday won't work with my mac so I downloaded this on my computer. If I become more literate at my cell phone maybe I can link the two? I travel for business and THAT's when I get in trouble. I read about Carrie Underwood using calorieking in a story in a fitness magazine, but when she's on the road she just carries the book like a bible and writes down everything. She knows as she goes through the day what she can/can't eat and if she cheats even a bit she can count how many calories are left at the end of the day and eat accordingly. It appears that to lose my last 15 lbs or so I'm going to have to do some serious planning - and quit cheating on junk food and fast food especially while traveling. The eat clean diet book has some good tips on how to pack a cooler of food for travel times too, and I've read some here. I'll have to figure this out...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 149/ticker/120

I have a range of 200 calories that I try to get in. I shoot for the bottom of that range or just under it to leave a cushion for the calories in fibrous veggies that I don't count and the hidden cals here and there in cooking spray, splenda, etc... That way I'm pretty sure I've not gone over the top of my range.

I weigh, measure and write down everything (except veggies)
Tamsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

horsey - calorieking.com has a version for a palm pilot. I downloaded it (i think its 29$) well worth it considering it has over 20,000 food items and some resturants. I would highly recommend if you have a palm...download it. I think it works on the blackberry phones that have palms????
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #12  

I have a blackberry, I'm going to try to figure this out for when I travel. It seems to have more food items then fitday and I get bored with entering in foods manually.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

For mac use the online version of fitday. It works fine. I'm on OSX
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #14  

I've been using the online version of fitday, I was just testing another to see about doing it on my desktop then being able to take it with me on my laptop or blackberry phone when I travel... likely I won't though. Fitday is fine, I suppose I'm just bored, always changing things up.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #15  
PielCanela

S/C/G: 209/214/170

Height: 5'7"

I've just started changing habits and writing everything down seems to be the best way, at least for the first days. Info in this thread has been very useful.
Nightingale68 is offline   Reply With Quote