Old 02-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #1  

Default Learning lessons from slip ups

I'm not going to beat myself up over my slip up. I am just going to move on.

My husband is at work, and my son was invited to a friend's house. I guess I felt lonely after dropping my son off-I'd be going home to an empty house. (aside from our two kitties!) I somehow ended up at Dunkin Donuts and bought and ate two chocolate chunk cookies.

I haven't had them in ages, and even though they tasted disgustingly sweet since I've been eating fruit instead, I still finished them...now I feel sick. I'll have to remember this feeling next time I crave those cookies.

I hope I didn't just ruin my week of healthy eating. I have a healthy dinner all made.

Thanks for listening-
Sherry

Last edited by suzie76; 02-10-2008 at 03:51 PM.
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #2  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Hold onto that sick feeling those cookies gave you. The next time you're thinking, "Man, those DD cookies sound so yummy!", call up that memory and use it to stop yourself before you get to that point.

You're right; don't beat yourself up about it! In the long run, two cookies aren't going to completely stall you. "Ruining" your week of healthy eating all depends on how you look at it. Have you made a slip up? Possibly. Has it destroyed your progress? Only if you let it!

You fell down, got right back up, and are now moving right back in the right direction. That doesn't sound like ruining to me!
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie76 View Post
I hope I didn't just ruin my week of healthy eating. I have a healthy dinner all made.
You definitely didn't ruin anything! In fact, now you know that wanting those too-sweet and unhealthy cookies is all in your head, and your future cravings will be for the fresh fruits and stuff that tastes good, feels good, and is good for you!
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #4  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

That was the theme of this last week for me! Last Saturday, I ate more carbs and more calories and crap food then I had for the previous months. I felt so incredibly sick. Somehow, I didn't gain any weight. (On the other hand, I've been on a plateau for 3 weeks now).

So this week, like xtrisaratops said, I kept that memory in my mind. I was determined to eat better. Maybe it was my way of testing the waters again - like an alcoholic who wants one more binge. But ugh, I felt gross.
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #5  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

You didn't mess anything up. You didn't enjoy the cookies, which if they were a previous favorite is pretty cool! You went on to eat your healthy dinner. Good for you! There have been times when 2 cookies for me could lead to a lot more than a healthy dinner!
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #6  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

It's a small slip as slips go. Take all the good advice above and take a breath and go look at the nutritional info:

https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus...kery&id=DD-961

It's scary, but take that slip (if you can) and think of it over say a 7 day period. It's like you added 150 calories a day over the week, which is minimal. The only reason I suggest looking it up is to remind yourself next time. Knowing the number of calories you must spend to eat something may make the difference the next time.

Last edited by RealCdn; 02-10-2008 at 05:28 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #7  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

So, this morning before heading out to the gym I had to get into my Sweetie's nightstand table to get something and in there is the bag of Dove chocolates. I get one a day after lunch. I decided I should have one after breakfast and helped myself. Of course, I didn't want to just throw the wrapper in the trash, so I decided to flush it when I used the potty before heading out. When I got home, he came up to me and asked how a Dove foil wrapper ended up in the toilet. Cheating does NOT pay!!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'3"

Pita
That is too funny. You are right cheating does not pay.
AnnCan1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #9  

Pita,

I had to laugh at your post! I could not even have a bag of Dove chocolates in the house at all....

As of this morning, I showed a 2lb gain (stupid scale!) I'm hoping it's from salt or something else-it's not like I ate an extra 7,000 calories!

Thanks for the nutrition info on the cookies-yikes!!!

I appreciate your help-thank you!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

It's so good that you recognized that ucky feeling and are using it to motivate you to not slip up again. I know that when I used to go on binges, I would hardly even pay attention to my body being sluggish and sick-feeling the next day. Now, if I slip-up and have too many chips, I can feel the little bit of heartburn and that oily, gross aftertaste for almost all of the next day. It has certainly made me less inclined to eat chips!

Of course, this doesn't work with my number one love of Mexican food. I have to just steer myself away from all the good restaurants down here. I've tried making Mexican recipes on my own, but they are never quite as good as the real (greasy) thing. So I'm trying to limit Mexican to once every couple of months.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #11  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

Four words: Krispy. Kreme. Donut. Holes. I ate my way through a box of 'em Friday night and felt both sick (ugh...how'd I ever eat those things??) and ashamed. At first. The sick feeling lasted for awhile, but the ashamed part went away after I realized the very things that these nice ladies have told you here--namely that stuff like that happens sometimes, but it's up to us to decide what we'll do afterwards!
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote