Old 02-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

Default Low Carb Help

Hi everyone!
I need a little help from you. My mom went to the doctor last week and he gave her a low Carb diet, I mean he didnīt say "itīs a low carb diet" but when I saw what she could and couldnīt eat I realized it is a low carb diet, anyway, she asked me to enter her meals in fitday so as to figure out the calories, carbs, proteins, fats, etc and I want to know what should the carb % be? I mean how low to be "low carb"?
Iīve been counting calories for a while now, but I really donīt know what to tell her bc itīs completely different..
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Rafaella,

I couldn't even get that number from a doctor when I found out I had diabetes. The general rule for type 2 diabetes is to eat no more than 40 grams of carbs at a meal & eat every 4 hours.

However, I cannot eat more than around 25 grams at a meal without having problems with my blood sugar.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Maybe you should think about buying the Atkins New Diet Revolution to read. Another good book is Living the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden. This book explains fantastically the physiology of low carb eating and even gives a synopsis of about 10 different low carb diets out there. You can get both of these books from library.

If your mom needs to lose weight, this is a good way to eat, also.

You should get about 10-20 percent of your calories from carbs; 30% from proteins and the rest are fats.

Last edited by sylvia78; 02-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #4  

When I saw my momīs "plan" I started investigating about low carb plans, and I really liked what I read. I saw she should have up to 20 net carb grams daily.
I think Iīll start a low carb plan too. I want to buy the Atkins book, but believe it or not I havenīt been able to get it here in Chile. Thereīs a forum by Atkins user here in Chile and they told me 3 places that used to have the 2002 version, I went to one of them and it was sold out, I called the other place and visited the web site for the third (to order online) and NOTHING!!
I guess Iīll start tomorrow the induction with the online info I have, which is really good and keep looking for the book, because I know itīs really important to read it. Maybe I should wait to read it and then start but Iīm so motivated I just wanna start tomorrow.. so youīll have me around the forum!!

If I donīt have any luck here maybe Iīll order the english version, but I want my mom to read it too and her english is not very good!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia78 View Post
Maybe you should think about buying the Atkins New Diet Revolution to read. Another good book is Living the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden. This book explains fantastically the physiology of low carb eating and even gives a synopsis of about 10 different low carb diets out there. You can get both of these books from library.
If your mom needs to lose weight, this is a good way to eat, also.

You should get about 10-20 percent of your calories from carbs; 30% from proteins and the rest are fats.

We donīt have those books in public libraries here and I swear itīs hard to get some books in Chile and you wouldnīt believe how expensive books are here, but Iīll get it anyway!!! I really really liked the Atkins "filosofy" lol
Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #6  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Rafaella, try Amazon.com's used book sellers. I think many of them ship anywhere. I'd try it, anyhow.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing View Post
Rafaella, try Amazon.com's used book sellers. I think many of them ship anywhere. I'd try it, anyhow.
Iīll try that!! Tks 4 the tip!

I found someone who sells the book but itīs a photocopy (itīs very common here to photocopy books) but as a law student Iīm 100% against that, so Iīll check amazon!!

Tks Bouncing!