Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #1  

Default Is there a FAD diet you consider pretty decent?

ok...so I have lost ALOT of weight...I know how to eat properly..Lots of fruits and veggies, salmon, beans, white chicken, 100% whole grain...I am an awesome cook and I don't over-eat. My dh and I started exercising consistenly since Jan. 1st.

As of this morning...I am STILL stuck in the lower 260's??? I think my body is in NEED of some type of metabolic shock or something. I just don't get it.

I desperately must MUST get down to 249!!!! This is crucial to me. I have been at 261 since August 24th? I am starting to get worried that there is something wrong with my system?

So..I am thinking about doing some FAD dieting until I reach 249? So what is the best FAD diet you have tried or come across in your opinion. This is just to get me over a slump...I know fad diets don't work for the long haul.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Do you measure your portions and fats? It's possible that you are consuming more calories then you think. I'm a calorie counter myself. I don't consider this to be a FAD diet, but it might be helpful to you. Just a thought.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked? It might be good to go to your doctor and make sure there isn't a medical reason for that long of a stall.

Great job on the weight loss so far and for starting the exercise! I know things like this can be frustrating, but keep at it, you will get there!

Last edited by zenor77; 02-07-2008 at 07:25 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #3  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I suggest you read "The UltraSimple Diet" by Mark Hyman, M.D.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

No fad diet suggestions here. What I would like to know, is what you are currently doing to lose the weight that you have.

~What is your exercise plan like every week? How long, what are you doing exactly, and how long have you been doing it?

~You mention that you are eating healthier, but do you know how many calories you eat per day? Can you post a food journal of your last two days, including the food amounts?

The more you weigh, the more calories your body burns per day. The less you weigh, the less calories you burn per day. When you lose weight, and hit a point where it no longer comes off, it means that you need to adjust your calorie deficit each day. This is done by either slightly lowering your calorie intake, or slightly upping your exercise intake.

This is a normal part of weight loss-and a fad diet isn't the answer.

Let me know your details, and I will try to suggest some things.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #5  

I gained up to 383 by basicly grazing on food all day long. As soon as I would feel the heaviness gone..I would shovel something else in...and I drank at least 1.5 liter of soda with all my food daily. I began in June of 04 just really lishening to my body and only eating when I was hungry and stopping when I felt full. I completely gave up the soda. I would eat anything I wanted...just always in portion control. After about SIX months of this..I began to incorp more fruits and veggies.

A typical day for me looks like:
Break~ 2 eggs, 2 slices organic turk bacon, orange (310 cals.)
Lunch~ turk or lean, low-sod ham on 2 pcs. 9-grain bread, spinach salad
w/the works..carrots, broc,onion,parm cheese..sometimes I add the meat to the salad. (450 cals.)
Snacks~ Apple w/1 tbsp. organic PNB (200 cals) OR Seed & trail mix..organic, unsalted w/organic low-fat milk (300 cals.) yogurt...lowest sugar I can find w/almonds or one pc. of cut of fresh food. (200 cals) Two wedges of cheese w/wheat thins (360 cals) I pretty much stick with these snacks, as they are very filling and get me through to dinner.
Dinner~ Always a protein..lots of Baked Salmon & chicken...only because these are the two meats I like. I may have red, ground chuck once a month in pasta. Last nights dinner...Boiled white meat breast, one cup barilla whole grain pasta, and broccoli.(380 cals.)
We have hearty veggie or Bean/lentil soups for dinner alot...usually with 2 pcs. 9-grain topped w/slice of cheese. (560 cals.)

A typical day I am eating 1600-1800 a day. I usually just have ONE snack a day...in the afternoon. I contribute my success to not just eating by the clock..but when I feel I am hungry. I honestly don't think I can cut my calories..and I have tried to RAISE them..and it always made me gain. I have tried to eat a couple of times when I really was not hungry..but I knew that my last meal was like four hrs. before?? And I would be up like two pounds the next day. This happened to me on Sunday. I ate a normal break, 2pm came..and I was not really hungry..but my dh was..I baked Salmon w/red peppers on top, and stewed zucc w/onion...no starch. For dinner I had a whole grain tortilla w/grilled chicken and parm. cheese & veggies. I was up 2 pounds on Monday?? It happens everytime I don't lishen to my body.

~I NEVER fry anything. Always baked or broiled.
~I drink water and milk only..sometimes unsweet hot tea...very rare fruit juice..I always use same 6 oz. cup...100% grape or orange

Exercise: HILL walking my neighborhood five times a week (45 min.)Bike riding (30 minutes twice weekly) and TIRE rolling squat,lift,roll-over..(twice weekly)..and in Jan. added strength training, basic cardio and swimming (wed. & Sun at gym approx. 2.5 hrs total)

After working out...Usually I will have a Banana, apple or lowest sugar protein bar I can find w/lots of water.

Any additional advice is appreciated. I know I can't cut may calories to low..I don't want to deal with feeling bad either...I like to have lots of energy. I just NEED so much to get to 249 to make me feel like all this constant accountability I do every SINGLE day of my life is worth while.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #6  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I dont have any wise ideas or anything for you. Congrats on getting the ball rolling on losing the weight, looks like your doing pretty good. I was just wondering if you NEED to be at 249 for something specific? I only ask because I know some dr's wont do some things until a person is at a specific BMI or Weight...so what is your internal drive to be 249 specifically? If you dont want to share I understand, either way your making healthier choices and I am proud of you.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #7  

Well, good for you for recently adding the strength training and other exercises last month. Soon you will start seeing some results with that, in the way you look and feel.

Unfortunately, at some point, you do need to drop your calories, if the 1600-1800 range is no longer working for you. Since you weigh much less than you once did, you need to adjust slightly to create a calorie deficit again. If you do this just a little-you shouldn't have to change your eating TOO much.

All you should need to do at this point, is drop your calorie range by 100 a day. If you have been eating 1600-1800, then try 1500-1700 instead. This can be as simple as cutting your peanut butter serving in half, or omitting a single slice of bread each day. It should be pretty easy to adjust to. Try the slightly lower range for a couple weeks, and see what happens.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #8  

No specific reason for the 249..other than mentally...it is a marker in my head. And the fact that I have weighed in the 260's for FAR far to long. It is time for my body to go on down.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #9  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

OK, just curious. Just dont get toooo hung up on ANY number on the scale, go by how you feel. You will do GREAT!!! KEEP IT UP!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #10  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

Maybe try replacing some of the salmon with some white fish? I was told white fish is the lowest calorie protein out there, and protein gets your metabolism going. My only other suggestion would be to be sure you are using the 40 calorie bread when you do have bread - same nutrients, less calories/carbs. Sounds like you are doing great though!
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #11  

I don't use 40 calorie bread myself, and mainly that is because it is hard to find in actual whole wheat/whole grain, without all of the sugars and corn syrups, etc. added.

I prefer to have the healthier version, but limit the portions. You have to check the labels on products, because a lot of the time fat or calories are reduced-and the nutrients are reduced as well. (Reduced fat peanut butter is made by taking out some of the peanuts which contain a healthy fat, and that part is replaced by adding sugar, which is fat free and nutritionally nil.)
Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

It sounds like you're eating really well. And it's great that you are adding exercise. I agree that you may have to drop your calories a bit. Boy, I hate suggesting that, as much as I hate having to do it myself, but if your current range isn't working, I think that's what you are going to have to do.

Something that works for me, although I find it really hard to do, is to try to keep my carbs very low (in the 60 - 80 grams per day range for me). I have found that I can eat more calories if the carbs are very low, but I really prefer to have a few less calories and more carbs. It's just too hard to give up my oatmeal and sugar free popsicles.

Congratulations on your loss! Today I weighed the same thing that I weighed on September 7th, so I truly understand your frustration. I personally have not been willing to lower my calories any further than they are right now.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/200.2/115

Height: 5'6"

I have really enjoyed the "slim fast" diet. They give you grocery lists and ideas. It has really helped me get motivated. But I too wish I could lose it a little faster. Summer is coming and I just don't feel good about my self. I have not seen my family in about 6 months also and really want to impress them!!
carlskl is offline   Reply With Quote