South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Do you guys call each other out?

If you notice things posted in people's menus that aren't right, do you let them know? Since I am knew at this, I am still trying to learn the right things/amounts/etc. to eat. I would prefer people not sit at home, look at my menus, and go "Tsk, tsk.. that poor dear. She has no friggin' clue." I would rather see typed, "Unh-unh. No way, girlfriend! You can't be eatin' that deep fried twinkie jus' 'cause you downed a whole plate o' rutabaga!"

I guess it would be difficult. Sometimes when people post things they have eaten, they probably KNOW it was a cheat and don't need called out. But then again, maybe they don't. Or maybe someone like me reads it and doesn't realize that it was a cheat and thinks it's okay, KWIM?

Anyway... feel free to chew me a new one if you notice something amiss. I am trying to lose some weight!
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the notice, we'll keep it in mind!
I always assume if someone has posted a menu, they want other people to look at it. But if they haven't specifically asked for input, I try to be gentle. Some people don't want to hear it. But the chicks in this forum are all pretty good friends and I don't think any of us mind it. I'm with you, I would like for people to point things out to me. Even after doing this for a while, I feel like I still have things to learn.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
I'm with you, I would like for people to point things out to me. Even after doing this for a while, I feel like I still have things to learn.
You can say that again! I've been doing this for over 4 years, and I'm still learning something new everyday. Part of the reason for this forum is for us to help and encourage each other onwards, and gently pointing out that one of us is doing something wrong is helpful, not detrimental. Just this morning I discovered that the English muffins I've been enjoying for breakfast have 5 grams of sugar in 1/2 of a muffin!!!!! Now how did I miss that?
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Well that explains why I have not been doing well, deep fried twinkies aren't allowed???? How about if they are fried in Canola Oil???

Seriously though we do all try to help each other out, that after all is what we are here for, support, and a good swift kick in the butt when we need it!

BTW where in Indiana are you? I am south of the lovely smelling Terre Haute.

Last edited by Pacergal29; 02-05-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Pacergal29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #5  

I'm central, north of Indianapolis. It's not smelly like that here.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #6  

I like for people to point out if I am doing something wrong especially if I don't realize it. I am glad though that this forum doesn't point fingers when we admit we cheated. Everyone is so supportive even when we slip up.
Tammie
tammie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

We all slip sometimes. But as long as we are posting here, we are back on track or trying to get back on track. Pointing fingers would just make people feel bad and maybe stop posting and stop trying. This is a great supportive group!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I would love for people to tell me when I'm unknowingly messing up, but I'll admit that I'm hesitant to do so for others. Sometimes people have "tweaked" their plans to allow some things that aren't necessarily "by the book."
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #9  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile My understanding is if it is asked for

I posted my menu one day and cottagebythesea pointed out I might be eating too many nuts and not enough veggies. I had asked any one to make a comment so it wasn't like I was surprised when someone did. Guess what? I was and I still struggle with that. I could eat a whole can or jar of nuts, even though they are a healthy snack, whereas I can act like the "Princess and the Pea" when it comes to vegetables. No, that is too cold, that is too hot, it is too this or too that! Any excuse not to eat them! Isn't it funny how we can say an onion is a vegetable when we really want it to be but we can get downright possessive about just what a normal serving is of something that is unhealthy if eaten in excess?

I think we are all sensitive to how it feels to see ourselves as though a 100 watt bulb was just turned on! It's being exposed in a way that I think most of us never feel 100% comfortable with. However, on the other hand, sticking our heads in the sand doesn't contribute to our progress either. Somewhere in the middle is where we all like to be; both on the giving and receiving ends.

I have learned so much from all of you, your struggles, your suggestions, how you deal with something or don't. I could go on and on.

The main thing to remember is that we are all in this boat together and we are all hoping to see the shoreline one of these days. We aren't going to throw you overboard if you eat a fried Twinkie but we will throw you a lifesaver if you need it.

Love is spoken here!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #10  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I'm with you gals I need all the help, support and motivation I can get or else I wouldn't be here
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #11  

Well said, pam! I think that's exactly why I am here. I do have trouble being completely exposed. I haven't told anyone other than my husband that I am even trying to lose weight, because I don't want to draw attention or have others monitoring me. But I DO NEED that monitoring, so I am glad that this board of supportive internet strangers-yet-friends exists to do that for me.

And if anyone would try to throw me overboard, I'll rock this boat so hard ya'll won't know what hit ya.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/163/150

Height: 5"4'

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1naked View Post
"Tsk, tsk.. that poor dear. She has no friggin' clue." I would rather see typed, "Unh-unh. No way, girlfriend! You can't be eatin' that deep fried twinkie jus' 'cause you downed a whole plate o' rutabaga!"
<======== *snorting*

Thanks for the laugh!

I would also hope that someone would point out things to me if I'm doing them wrong. I'm new to this and part of the reason I post here is for advice from people who have been doing this longer than me.
I wouldn't take it as anything negative, just some constructive critisism.
Shesaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I can honestly say without the SBD forum I wouldn't have a clue with this diet. The book was not very specific when it comes down to all the food possibilities out there. I also need a lot of structure to help me. I'm used to going to weight watchers meetings so you guys are like a daily "meeting" for me where I can get reinforcement as well as motivation (without the weigh-in). I probably wouldn't be able to critique someone else's menu choices as well as some of the more seasoned members here, but I wouldn't feel intimidated to ask other people if things they post are "OK"? I had considered signing up for the South Beach Diet web site support but I didn't want to pay for it. I am so thankful that there is such a great place for help and it's free!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/160/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I tend only to comment on menu/food choices if they ask. I'm new to this board but I'm also a member of some other SB/diet boards and I've run into people that I've termed "diet ****s" They call everyone out on everything whether it was asked for or not if it's not done strictly by the book. Like a pp stated, sometimes you tweak the program to make it work for you. That's also the reason I'm here. You seem like a much friendlier bunch.
lightfello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #15  

I totally agree with what you are saying, lightfellow. I just wish there was a cute little "tweak" emoticon posters could use after a menu item that is a known cheat or tweak. Maybe we could type, :tweak!

:lol