Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #1  

Unhappy I don't look any different

I've lost 25 lbs, but yet I see nor feel any difference in my body. It's been hard to get where I am and I look the same as I did before I started. I want to see results. It's soooo discouraging.
cdncatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Wow! Congrats on a great loss

Did you take some beginning pictures? I'm sure there's a difference, but you just may not be able to see. Are your clothes fitting better? Have you taken some measurements?

The other thing is, I started at 331, and had to focus on the pounds, because I didn't see a difference at all. Even now, I don't see a difference. Unfortunately, for many of us with a little more to lose, it takes longer for physical differences to appear. We just have to accept this and focus on other things.

You can do this! Keep on going!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

maybe you don't look any different to YOU, but i bet others notice...a lot of people don't say anything for fear of being wrong if you've lost weight. My suggestion is measure yourself and do it once a month. You will see it in the measurements...you've lost 25 lbs...that's great...keep going!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Do you have any pictures of yourself from before? If you do, you should take some at the weight you are now. It's very likely that you just haven't noticed because you see yourself constantly- every day- which makes it difficult for us to register that we actually have changed.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

I really like the idea of taking regular pic's of yourself while you are going through the process...you may notice a change then. Also, measure yourself after every so many pounds as that can be motivating as well.

25 pounds is a lot - CONGRADULATIONS! And, don't give up...find your motivation!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

25 pounds is only a little less than 10% of your high weight--so you're probably right at the edge of where your loss will begin to show up. Don't stop now! Keep going! You'll see--as time goes on, the difference will become more and more apparent!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #7  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

cdn
Sometimes how we see our selfs is very skewed to what everyone else sees. I see very little difference in myself when I look in the mirror between now and before I started to lose weight BUT I know there has to be a difference. Everyone else notices. Here is something I do because I can see the difference this way. Lay on the bed. Raise you leg up. You will see the difference in your thigh. All woman notice their thighs lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 02-06-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #8  
... fabulous!

I understand your plight. I have lost about 56 now and I don't even notice. I still feel really fat and I even though I'm down from about a size 24 jeans to a loose 16. Even if you don't notice it... others do. My grandfather(who seems to notice nothing) said to me the other day, "Have you lost weight?" and eventhough I generally frown on this type of intrusive question, coming from my grandfather I took it as a total compliment. I feel sooooo much better at the gym and I do sometimes think my face looks thinner. I'll be browsing my closet and try on something that was really too tight to wear before and I'll find that I can't even wear it now because it just hangs off of me. Eventhough I don't see it in the mirror, these little things(the gym and trying on old clothes that I KNOW were unwearbly tight) keep me going.

... do NOT give up. You will notice it eventually.
ACivE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I one million percent feel your pain. Those of us with a lot to lose have to remember that 25 pounds off of 300 is, unfortunately, not going to make a difference like it would if someone who weighed 150 lost 25 pounds, ya know? It's the Paper Towel Theory: If you take a roll of 300 paper towels and a roll of 150 paper towels and remove 25 from each, you'll hardly notice a difference in the bigger one, but you'll see a big difference in the smaller one.

It sucks, yes, but only at first. A couple years ago, I started at about the same starting weiht as you and got down to 265. Guess what--I NEVER changed pant sizes the whole time. I started in a 22 and ended in a 22. How discouraging! That's when I ave up in a fit of frustration and gained it all back and then some. Not a good plan :P

So, the bad news is that we bigger chickies have to be a bit more patient in seeing physical results. The good news is that the more we lose, the more rapidly we will see changes, so our patience is rewarded by needing less of it as we go on. For example, you've lost 25 pounds and can't notice a difference. Heck, it may be 40 pounds before you really see a noticeable difference. But after that, you'll start seeing the changes with fewer pounds lost because your new reference point will be a lower weight. I hope that makes sense. Like for me, it woul dhave taken probably 55 pounds to drop my first pant size. But after that, I might have dropped the next pant size in just 20 pounds, and then maybe another after 17 pounds, until eventually, I'd be dropping a size each 10-12 pounds like these thinner chikcs do

I know it's hard. I KNOW. And it sucks. But all I can suggest is patience and not giving up in frustration--speaking from experience, that's really not the best way to reach your goal
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #10  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

Oh man, I understand. A few years ago, I was living in Europe for a while. When I was there I ended up losing about 40 pounds, and honestly I never noticed when it happened. My clothes didn't seem to change too much and I wasn't weighing myself.

I move home about a year later, and America (and the face I have a car and aren't completely skint here) helped put it all back on.

But I never really noticed how much I lost until I was looking at pictures a few months ago. It's so hard to see sometimes. The only way I like to judge progress is "hey, I ran up a flight of stairs and I'm not winded" or "wow, I managed to run 1/8th a mile further" and those sorts of things.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #11  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

Congrats on losing 25 lbs so far...that's a fabulous weight loss!
Buy a 1lb block of cooking lard/fat and feel how heavy it is, it's alot of fat and you have lost 25 of those fat blocks.That's soooo good!
I keep one in the fridge and on the weeks I only lose a pound, I go and have a feel of my block of fat and don't feel so disheartened.
Here's a pound of human fat next to a cup...you have lost 25 of those off your bod!

Take measurements as well as weighing yourself, you will certainly see a difference there and that will be proof you are visibly shrinking.

Losing weight is a series of highs and lows, one week you feel fabulous as you have a good weight loss and your clothes are fitting better, the next week you feel like poop and want to give up because you haven't shifted a pound and you worked really hard.
But the ultimate high comes at the end of the journey when you get to goal and you feel fan-flipping-tastic about your body 24/7. It's worth sticking at, it's worth battling to get there and no one can take it away from you.

Keep up the good work, it's a battle you're winning and winning well.

Love Boo x
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

that's so awesome how you saved that cooking lard for comparison!!!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #13  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

I have a brand new block in the fridge (still in it's wrapper)...it usually gets looked at once a week as a reminder how much a pound of fat actually is.
The picture of the human fat next to the cup is off the internet...it isn't my actual fat lol.

Boo x
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #14  

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't expect to receive so many. I haven't measured myself nor taken a picture. I actually don't have a camera so I won't be able to do that. I do know that you're all right. I shouldn't get discouraged, but I do. Nobody else has said anything to me either, so I really don't think it is noticable yet. I thought I would at least be able to feel a difference, but I don't. I was also hoping by this point (over 2 months in) that the cravings would be gone and that this healthy eating would be second nature. Not the case. I've craved potato chips since the very beginning and have come very close to caving in, but I haven't. Everytime I see a loss on the scale I realize I don't want to screw it up for my next WI. I want to keep seeing losses. Anyway, I guess I should just stop my whining and accept what is and have more patience. I have NO intention of giving up. This is the longest period of time I've ever dieted and stayed OP. I don't want to screw that up. I don't know where I've gotten the willpower from, but I'm going to run with it as far as I can. My ultimate goal feels like a pipe dream right now, but I weigh less now than I have in over 10 years and I find that exciting. So onward and downward.

Last edited by cdncatlover; 02-07-2008 at 10:11 AM.
cdncatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/273/120

Height: 5'2

I feel the same way. I lost 22 pounds and I can't tell a difference at all. That picture of a pound of fat though is encouraging!

Last edited by Jandra; 02-07-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Jandra is offline   Reply With Quote