Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #1  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

Default fasting???????

I've heard of people fasting for a day or two because of their weight, what exactly is that? Awhile ago I bought this powder thing to mix with milk (I think) and it says 2-day fast on it. is it the same thing?
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've never fasted but I've heard of all sorts of fasts.

Water fast
Lemon juice/cayenne/maple syrup fast
Fruit juice fast
Vegetable juice fast
Fruit/Vegetable juice fast
Fruit only fast
Fruit/Vegetable only fast

Basically some people may on go on fast for various beliefs but you may lose weight on the fast because you just aren't eating a lot of calories. You may also lose weight because you aren't eating products that bloat you such as wheat and dairy. Most of the weight loss tends to be gained back as well when you resume eating.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I know people fast for a number of reasons, many of them religious or spiritual. From what I've read, it's not necessarily dangerous to fast for a day or two. But I don't really know that there's any good evidence fasting helps weight loss in the long run. Personally, I've never tried it and have no interest in fasting... I like eating too much!

Are you considering a fast? Or just wondering about the powder (and I really don't know what it is...)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Fasting is done generally for spiritual reasons and also for cleansing of the system, but it is not recommended for weight loss--it's not a sustainable way to go.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #5  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey there,
I'm part of the 'spiritual bunch' lol - who at certain times of the year fast. For example in 'Ramdan' the ninth month of the Islamic Calendar, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset for a month. Unfortunately, against popular belief you either maintain or put on weight lol during that month. Muslims do it for a variety of reasons such as, building will power, remembering the hungry, detoxing the body. But like somebody said - it is not sustainable as a weightloss method and will do a lot of damage over long period of times (for example two months without eating).
I'm sure u were wondering about the powder lol - I would assume that it means u drink nothing but the powder for two days and then you replace the meals with it? maybe to shrink ur tummy? Maybe? possibly? lol don't quote me on it.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4

DON'T DO IT!

Believe me.. I once was on a diet and I was only about 5 lbs from my goal weight and got desperate, so I started fasting and lost about 2 lbs per day, but then I ate again and gained 38 lbs in just a month and a half!
And I remember asking if it was a good idea to fast in another forum and everyone told me that it was the worst thing that I could do, but I was careless and did it anyway..
LondonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #7  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

I was just wondering about the powder. I got it when I ordered the power jam videos. I think it has to do with cleansing the body before dieting or changing your way of eating---basically forcing your body to have nothing but healthy nutrients in it. I have to go and see again. Thank you everyone.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I fast for both religious reasons and I recently did a leek fast for a day just as a detox. I had already started my diet 2 weeks prior to the fast but i wanted to try it. Truth is didn't even last the whole day!! I ate a normal dinner but i felt great and lost 1.5 lbs which has stayed off.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #9  
Can't Never Did Nothin'

S/C/G: 212/166/140

Height: 5'6"

Ugh, fasting! I really should do it for religious reasons (I'm Wiccan and we fast for 3 days before each sabbat) but I can go about 6 hours before I'm a complete basket-case! I get crabby, all I can think about is food, and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, which is purifying the body; most of my thoughts are NOT pure while I try to fast! LOL So I try to do all liquids, i.e., soups and slimfast-type drinks.

As far as dieting, I can't see how it's good because your body would think it's starving and when you start eating again, your body will hold on to everything thinking it might happen again. It seems to be a traumatic thing for a body to go through (which explains why a lot of religions use it as a tool).
Catmint is offline   Reply With Quote