Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Embarresment!!!!

How do you get over the embarresment of jogging/running outside. I know I dont look gracefull doing it either so that brings on the embarresment even more. I just really know I need to get out there and just do it, but I cant seem to get myself to because Im so worried about being yelled out by cars driving by and just everything that goes with it when youre overweight and embarresed.

How do everyone get over that fear?
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #2  
Yeah.....

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'1''

honks could be a good thing, could make you wanna run harder.. but if you really dont want to hear them put an ipod in!!!! but if you do hear them honk, just yell back, DONT HATE BECAUSE IM TRYING, WHILE YOU SIT ON YOUR LAZY BUTT AND DRIVE!!!! good luck...

p.s. what small town in tx? im in Temple...
CapriPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #3  
Ticker-free

S/C/G: 216/204.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I've never been yelled at by cars - that just won't happen. I have been honked at and when I turned to look, it was a group of women giving me the thumbs up.

Try running at a highscool track in the evening to start or during the day on some local trails. I try to stay away from traffic for my own safety anyways and am blessed to have a ton of gravel and paved trails near me that are not secluded. Or join a running group at your local running store (Running Room) I personally hate running in a group, but others really enjoy it.

I'm also blessed to not give a royal crap about what other people think of me. You're out excercising - and anyone who feels the need to ridicule someone who is trying to better themselves is just an insecure and jealous twit. So there!
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #4  
Im a work in progress!!

Wow cool, Im about an an hour and a half away.

p.s really awesome signature.

Last edited by CountryGirl18; 02-06-2008 at 12:40 AM.
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

"You wouldnt worry so much about what people thought of you if you realized how seldom they do"

Truthfully most people are not critical when they see runners...the thought process probably goes along the lines of "oh there is a woman running, damn I really need to get my butt off the couch and get out there and get some exercise but I am so busy with work and the kids....the kids!...darn I forgot to pack timmy's lunch today and they were going on a field trip, now I am going to have to figure out how to find him and get him some food, I wonder if the chaperone has a cell phone...oh jeez my cell phone is dead..."etc. etc.

You see how you occupy virtually no space in their brain?
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

MUSIC! It will drown out so much and after the first song you'll get in the groove and no ones stupid comments even if heard will bother you. Also, I know this is superficial, but get some cute workout wear it will make you feel more comfortable and attractive even while jogging. If all else fails and people make comments, screw them, screw them for not letting you make yourself happy, screw them for being insecure enough to bring others down, you are doing this for yourself, you are not there for their enjoyment, screw them! Good Luck!
pinupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 AM   #7  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I was once afraid to do any sort of work out outside.

But you know the saying about swimming in cold water? better to dive right in.

So I was at the gym one day and figured I'd run on the treadmill even though there were a pack of girls from the vollyball team running right next to me. Ya know, hair in ponytails, shorts about the size of my underwear. We were about the same age and all and I figured, if I can run in front of them, I can run in front of everyone.

And I did! no one said a thing, most were to focused on their workout to even look up from their feet.

Just jump right into it and not care what they say or think... all that matters is you.

at least you're getting Healthy, their always gonna be
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #8  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm going to suggest the iPod/MP3 player as well. Not only does it help to keep you in rhythm, but with music blasting in your ears, you won't even *hear* the honks and whatever (if there ever is any).
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #9  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

I use an Ipod and sunglasses, that way I am totally in my own little world.

Don't let what people who really don't matter, stop you from doing something that really does matter.

Boo x x
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

I also use an ipod. I can't run right now because it's cold outside and icy and I'm so graceful I'd break something. I was worried at first so I went out where I knew there wasn't a lot of travel. I would walk a block, jog a block, walk a block, you get it until I got out there so I didn't get totally exhausted and look like a fool. Then once i got out there I would just take off. I really miss it now that I can't do it too. I think I'll do it right in town infront of God and everyone once it warms up a bit.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #11  
No description available.

Do it anyway.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

If you're worried about others, then I suggest the same things as people above. Music to drown them out.

Just make sure you're not running in the middle of the street, then that honking might just be important

Seriously, most people don't even notice the walkers/runners. We're all just busily trying to get to places in our own little worlds
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #13  
Yeah.....

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'1''

LOL Thanks... I like to express myself!!!! I like your avatar
CapriPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #14  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

When you look at others, what do *you* think?

When I see someone heavy who's running, as much as it'll cross my mind that it looks a bit funny, that he/she's awfully red in the face, I also think "Good for them - if they can, I can."

The ipod and sunglasses is a good idea for privacy

I run down a park track whether there are many runners/cyclists/skaters of all shapes and ages. Even though I turn bright red and jiggle, I don't feel too exposed.

I've caught people staring at me at the gym, though (tomato!!!) Not much to do about that.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/194.5/135

Height: 5'5"

I totally hear you on this one. I too live in a small town, and everyone stares they can't help it i guess??? I don't know. Maybe they've never seen someone run before....so they are watching you to learn how, and then they can pry their butts off the couch. I guess I used to look at oncoming traffic also to see if they were focusing on my thighs bouncing, and things like that, but that just ruined my workout, and not to mention my self esteem, which really is what this journey is all about. Finally having the I CAN attitude. Oh i just remembered something else LOL. I was driving with a friend in the car one day and i saw this guy shirtless and super hot jogging, and i was like wow he's in good shape. And she says...yeah everyday he runs out to the bridge and back. He's lost 50 pounds, and when he started he could barely jog one way. Whenever i run outside....i think of that guy and how if he could do it on a busy college campus road with all the people driving by....why can't i. Hope this helps hunny...good luck one block at a time babe
Kristine612 is offline   Reply With Quote