Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #1  

Default Hey, the other JG--

I know you've said you're strict on Atkins, and I believe live in Induction. Question...

Because of you I found Linda's recipes. Do you use them and do you find that you do just as well as when you eat more clean? I made the White Castle Hamburger Pie, and it tastes so good I feel guilty.

Down 2lbs in 2 days....
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Jersey,

To answer your question...yes, I am strict on Atkins....however, no, I do not live on Induction. I keep my carbs fairly low....usually between 25-35 a day, concentrating mainly on veggies & salads.

Linda's recipes are great!! On Sunday's when I was on Induction, my Mom made me something every week when I went to visit from Linda's website One of my favorites is "Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes". The thing you must keep in mind is portion control. While the recipes are delicious, it is quite easy to over induldge.

I don't eat them very often anymore, My eating consists mostly of chicken, fish, pork, turkey, occasional red meat, lots of veggies, 2 salads a day, occasionally I have nuts, yogurt...so, basically I eat pretty cleanly.

I consider myself fortunate, they never stalled me

Congratulations on your 2 lbs loss!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #3  

Did you ever hear of others complaining it stalled them? Here's the deal, I'm doing a weight loss challenge and wanted to switch to Atkins, because otherwise I lose maybe 5lbs a month and I really want it to move faster. Eating cleanly and creatively is a challenge for me with my schedule and so I wanted something to prepare on the weekend and eat all week...and that would taste good and not be boring.

I've promised myself portion control, like with the pie I cut it into 8s and it has to last as lunch or dinner all week. And I made a chicken salad for lunch or dinner that must do the same. That way all I have to do is portion it out for the next day, and I'm ready to go. My concern is all the mayo and cream.

I've had to up the carbs and calories a bit, as I am very active and burn at least 800-1000 calories a day from exercise, on top of my BMR of about 2150. Most likely I'll average 35, if I don't make a mistake like I did yesterday and thinking greens and protein, had shrimp and greenbeans for lunch at the gym's cafe. Greenbeans have 15 carbs. Oops.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have greenbeans listed as only 4 to 5 carbs, and 20 calories per cup. Did you have more than 3 cups, or were they prepared in a sauce of some kind?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Jersey,

As long as you practice portion control, you should be fine with Linda's recipes. The basic concept behind the Atkins nutritional approach is to burn fat...so...to burn fat, you must eat fat since you are greatly limiting carbs (hope that makes sense!). Difficult as it may be to grasp, because we are so conditioned to believe fat is bad for us...mayo & cream are perfectly acceptable on Atkins. I ate them from day 1...I'm still eating them and it has never hindered my weight loss.

As for green beans, I eat them and have always eaten them several times a week. According to the Atkins website, ½ cup of green beans has 2.4 net carbs (4.4 total carbs). Green beans are perfectly acceptable on Atkins
Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/190/150

Height: 5'1

I have a question....on Atkins I have heard people say you can have all the eggs, cheese and meat you want.

My question is: Do you still need to watch your portion control on Atkins? If so how much is enough?
WeightSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Good question WS...I was wondering the same thing??? I'm in love with Linda's seafood bisque...when I make it, I finish the whole thing in about 3 days!!! It's marked with an * so that means its acceptable on induction. Is there a limit on induction foods. I only eat until I'm satisfied, but it takes alot to satisfy me....and for some reason when I'm eating Atkins, I never get that full bloated feeling no matter what I eat (acceptable foods, of course). Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeightSmasher View Post
I have a question....on Atkins I have heard people say you can have all the eggs, cheese and meat you want.

My question is: Do you still need to watch your portion control on Atkins? If so how much is enough?
Eating as much as you want is a common misconception many people have of Atkins. As far as eggs & meat go...the book states to eat "liberally during Induction". Liberally means, ample, full. Ample means generously sufficient. It does not mean unlimited or as much as you want. Cheese is limited to 3-4 oz per day in the Induction phase and it only includes certain types of cheese's as outlined in the book.

Yes...you do need to watch your portions. Overindulging on "acceptable foods" can cause you to gain weight the same as if you ate something unacceptable.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-04-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/190/150

Height: 5'1

That is what I thought, I always say too much of anything is bad for you.

I just wanted to get a clear answer.

Thanks
WeightSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #10  
banned

Thanks Jerseygyrl for your persistance in trying to school everyone here on the dangers of sabotaging your weight loss efforts with the use of sugar substitutes...namely "maltitol" as found in many "sugar free" chocolates/candies.

I did a little research on my own and found out that you were right about maltitol. But, even more important than that...I found that there is something out there for us "chocoholics" (not addicts, but people who just mentally need a sweet after a meal). "Erythritol"...yes, the answer to our prayers!!!

For all interested...check out this website http://nutrition.about.com/od/grains...arcravings.htm. As Jerseygyrl suggested and many other people on this thread "Chocoperfection" bars seem to get the highest ratings for taste/texture. If you go to Netrition.com you will also find other chocolate bars that get high ratings, but be careful, some bars exploit the fact that they are sweetened with "Erythritol", but if you check the label, are sweetened with "Glycerine" as well (which is not as bad as maltitol, but not the best for us low-carbers).

Thanks for educating me in this area Ms. New Jersey...I, for one, will now buy only "Erythritol" products to curb my "sweet tooth"...sincerely thanks Jerseygyrl! Joyce
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Joyce,

I was very happy to hear you did some research on sugar alcohols

I agree with you, Erythritol (a natural sugar alcohol) is the best choice for us low carbers...or for anyone trying to lose weight for that matter! Back in 2004 when I beagn Atkins, there was a brand of sugar-free chocolate out there called Z-Carb, it was sweetened with Erythritol. I used to eat them as an occasional treat (not on Induction). The peanut butter flavor & the dark chocolate with the soy crisps were my favorites. They never effected my weight loss nor did they cause me any gastic distress. They were manufactured in Canada, however my local Walmart carried them. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy them for very long because they were discontinued I began looking for other alternatives that did not contain all those weightloss stalling, gas producing consequences of enjoying a simple piece of chocolate occasionally. I quickly learned they were few & far between. I was very excited when I discovered Atkins makes a line of "candy" called Endulge, only to quickly become disappointed when I learned all 3 varieties contain MALTITOL!!! As well as, the Atkins Advantage bars boasting on their label "appropriate for Induction" and containing soy, peanuts & milk....none of which are on the acceptable foods list for Induction. The bars claim to contain 0 grams of sugar alcohols...but...they list Glycerine ( a SUGAR ALCOHOL) on their label. I then heard about Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate bars. I happen to be a fan of dark chocolate...but...if you aren't, you may find this very bitter. For me, 1 square satisfies my occasional taste for chocolate and it is low in carbs & contains no sugar alcohols.

I've heard good things about Chocoperfection bars but, they are costly. There are others out there and when I've actually tried them, I will give you my opinion

I'll be very interested in hearing of your experience with Chocoperfection

I'm glad I could be of help to you. We're all in this together and I'm always happy to help.

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #12  
banned

I'm going to Walmart tonight. Hopefully, they'll have the chocoperfection bar everybody's talking about. Netrition.com has these "chocolate cups" sweetened with "erythritol". Your right...they are expensive...but when I think of how much money I spent on Mickey Dees and all that crap...it's a small price to pay, for me, at least. It may be different for you as you've been doing atkins continuously... Thanks again...I'll also report on my tastebuds!!! Enjoy your day! Joyce