Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Suggest some music for me!

DH and I just got an elliptical last week and we've been going through our CD collection looking for stuff to listen to and it's coming up short. Most of the stuff we used to listen to (and loved to dance to) was on vinyl and we never really replaced a lot of it - too expensive So - now we want to go buy some new/old stuff, but... what?... Not everything I liked to listen too is good for exercising.

Things I know I like (past and closer to present): The Clash, The Ramones, The Jam, Joy Division, Chemical Brothers, Bjork...

Things I know DH likes: Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Jam, The Specials, Human League, NIN, Ladytron...

Suggestions?

BP
Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #2  

Have you ever heard Thrice? They are AMAZING for working out. I tend to like harder stuff when I work out, cause it makes me work harder without even realizing it, haha. I will give you some song suggestions that I PROMISE will be so worth listening to because you will seriously fall in love with them. And if you don't like some of them, still listen to the rest cause a lot of them are way different!

Music Box by Thrice (ahhhhh! This one is incredible!)
Whispers in the Dark by Skillet
Chorus of Angels by Haste the Day
For Miles by Thrice
Sihouette by Thrice
Studying Politics by Emery
Stand and Feel Your Worth by Thrice
The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars
Until the Day I Die by Story of the Year
Casting Such a Thin Shadow by Underoath
Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape by Underoath
From Yesterday by 30 Seconds to Mars
Wildfire by P.O.D.

And if you want happier, more up beat and not so hard music, here's another list of suggestions for you.

Move Along by All American Rejects
The Adventure by Angels and Airwaves
First Time by Lifehouse
Only One by Yellowcard
The Reason by Hoobastank
Yellow by Coldplay
Light Up The Sky by Yellowcard
Disarray by Lifehouse
Sugar, We're Going Down by Fall Out Boy

If you want any more let me know! There is much more where all this came from.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #3  

Default a few suggestions...

I have been listening to a weird mix here lately...

try these:

Cake Songs: Love You Madly, The Distance, It's Coming Down, Pretty Pink Ribbon, You Turn The Screws, Hem of Your Garment (my fave I think) and many more.... If you don't know much about Cake, well, they just plain rock... but not to hard, more laid back rockin... I like it... and their lyrics are hilarious and quite pithy

Beck Songs: Go It Alone, Loser, Where It's At, Diamond Dogs, Epro (most songs from Guero really)

And a few I have been walking to: Ghostwriter by RJD2, Ain't No Other Man by Christina Aguilera, Work That by Mary J Blige (I Pod Commercial), Pon De Replay by Rihanna, Hollaback Girl or Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani... just to name a few....

The All American Rejects was an awesome add from the first girl.. they will get you fired up fast... Swing swing is really good, as well as Move Along and It Ends Tonight... good stuff.

I am gonna check out this Thrice band she was talking about too... Later! Keep on keepin on!

Lan
Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #4  
eh, here goes

S/C/G: 190/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Default music!

gomez-laid back but fun to groove to
drive by truckers-alt country meets kick your *** rock
rancid-you know
wilco-more alt country
regina specktor-good music to run too
against me-awesome punk rock
riverboat gamblers-even more awesome punk rock
Old 01-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Current bands I am listening to:

Voltaire
Oomph
She wants revenge
I love you but I've chosen darkness
Ramstein is good if you for strenous stuff (I do my strength training to their some of their music)
Richard Cheese
Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #6  

Thanks for the suggestions -I've been listening to them to several of them are definitely going on my list.

BP
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #7  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

It's not quite workout music to get you incredibly pumped up (for most people), but I've been really fond of Tom Wait's "Real Gone" and "Bone Machine" albums to get sweaty too.

What can I say, I'm quirky.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5' 6"

Bopeep,

I just bought some new (to me) stuff for my Ipod and since we seem to have a similar music collection, you might enjoy:

Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block is a great album for exercise or anything else
Nouvelle Vague - they have 2 albums out and they are both fun, old '80's new wave and punk "hits" to a bossanova beat
M.I.A. - Arular and Kala hip hop meets world music and a throbbing beat that kicks my *** when running!
Interpol - couple of songs are great for exercise, try Slow Hands, but overall not a remarkable band

-Heidijn
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #9  

I just got some Franz Ferdinand - where have they been all my life?!? Wow! I'm in love!! And I found a "best of" of old Gary Numan stuff - some of it's slow for exercising, but it's good for cool down or doing weights.

I'll have to have a listen to some more recommendations tonight. It turns out I've been listening to and liking All American Rejects and Beck for awhile - DH has them on his streaming radio. I used to love Tom Waits - I can't believe how much I've forgotten about over the years. I

BP
Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #10  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

Gogol Bordello would be suitable if the 'gypsy punk' genre suits your fancy (I like their Underdog world strike cd). They have some really fast tempo songs with all sorts of crazy instruments (violins I guess aren't so crazy but the chain saw noises and sirens and in one song, screams...I know I'm making it sound a lot more insane than it actually is, it does end up sounding like music, and I at least find it catchy....)
I second the M.I.A. recommendation, great stuff. (apparently I like my music peppered with gun shots and cash register noises as well, hmmm)
Butch Walker his 'left of self centered' album would be good if you like sort of poppy catchy rock, some songs off his other cds are fast paced, others not so much....Hot Hot Heat, Pink, Go Gos, Green Day, Michael Jackson, maybe a tarantino movie soundtrack...I'm realizing my tastes may be too wide to really help...you may want to to hit itunes and download your favorite fast paced songs and make a mix cd or two to listen to when you work out, probably it would be cheaper. Or I guess you could hit your local library and borrow their copies of things. I envy that you have the option to pick what to listen to, I work out at the gym where I work, and as I really hate wearing head phones I end up working out watching whatever is on the tv, not nearly as fun. One of these days I'll have the space to have an exercise area at home and I'll be rocking out too.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #11  

Holy capes and corsets!!! I didn't know there were other Voltaire fans here. That has just brightened my day and I think I may have found my support group. And now to get back to the topic at hand. (I swear I'm not trying to hijack this thread). I find Seether's first CD really gets up and moving. I dare you not to move when listening to Bodies. Fall Out Boy is pretty energetic and I'm another All American Rejects fan.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #12  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'd be happy to burn you a CD of one of my playlists for working out... i tend to mix punk rock/pop punk and then random top 40 hits.

lately i like to listen to Blur's Parklife when working out.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 136/131/125

Height: 5'8'

hiya~ it took a while, but i was able to come up with a playlists in my ipod that fit to different exercises, one for running, one for walking, one for elliptical and one for upper body machines. It helps to keep going if you can keep moving in time to the rhythm. I get energized by more 'angry-ish/pop/punk stuff, so here are some of my suggestions:
Distillers - Young Crazed Peeling
Green Day - She's a Rebel
Lawrence Arms - Like a Record Player
White Stripes - Hardest Button to Button
Strokes - Heart in a Cage
Blondie - One Way or Another
Also, if you like the style, anything sounding like irish drinking songs are good for running: old Pogues, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly... and Alkaline Trio are too slow for running or walking, but are excellent for when weight machines for your upper body...
hope that helps!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Kings of Leon, I love me some Run DMC, Joan Jett
For cooling down, I listen to Brian Eno or Groove Armada, like Hands of Time.
I love old school rap, a little Run, a little Young MC, Digital Underground, Biz Markie, Beastie Boys
New Order, Flaming Lips, Pixies, The Gourds, Old 97s, old school Bowie, Against Me!, Lavender Diamond, Cyndi Lauper, Regina Spektor, Voodoo Glow Skulls, and finally, Muse
Old 05-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #15  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

my workout stuff ranges from Rammstein to Linkin Park (their new one is good for a 45 min workout), Madonna (Confessions on a Dance Floor), KMFDM (many, many suggestions here for a good workout - but songs from various albums), The KLF (The White Room), Book of Love (very old, but classic), Ladytron... that's all I can remember right now (I tend to watch DVD's on the elliptical now, but that keeps me at just a steady heart rate and I don't push it while watching shows).
Closed Thread