Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #1  
vek

S/C/G: 203/ticker/180

Height: 5ft2"

Default Going from sofa to...dojo!

I've been extremely lazy in the past few years, my only physical exercises were moving the tv remote controler from my left hand to my right hand...
In january I said STOP and I started to go on long walks on the snowy roads of my village at least 3-4 times a week, I bought batteries for my stationary bike and I started to use it almost every day... As a reward I bought myself a step counter to keep me motivated on my walks and a Pilates ball to sit on in front of my tv or computer instead of my sofa...
With effort and a diet based on calories counting I lost 17 lbs. only in january.
Now I said it is time to start something new, I enrolled in a karate club. Tonight is gonna be my very first class in the dojo. It is going to be 2-3 times a week, for 1 hour and a half each class.
I've chosen karate because I already practiced this during my teenage years and I loved it! I enrolled my hubby too.
So, what do you think? Is it too much? Is it too fast? My husband said is much too fast, we should loose a few more pounds before subscribing at a club...So, I don't know. But I really want to do it! I have all the determination! Is just that I don't know if I will really be able to spend so much energy...I really need your advices, guys!
Thank you!
vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/155/142

Height: 5'10"

I say just show up and have some fun!

Modify your movements if it helps, leave a little early if you have to (I establish a lie beforehand for this, terrible I know i.e. I only have a babysitter until ----, I have a class that starts at -- on this day...)

Which hey it worked for me, I was more than a little paranoid about overexerting myself in front of others at first. But as it's Karate depending on your instructor you might be running through mostly techniques at first, learning Katas etc. it could be pretty low impact, with some mild warm ups at the beginning of class (if I remember correctly I had to do jumping jacks so wear a sports bra definitely )

But really, I say go for it! Half the battle is motivation anyway, if you think you can do it, then I'm sure you can.

Don't forget to bring a bottle of water!
scandalouschicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

It doesn't sound unreasonable, if you think you can do it. You know what you need to do, as far as motivating yourself goes. It sounds like your hubby is nervous that people will think badly of him and is looking for an excuse to put it off - my DH is like that. Stick to your guns and drag him along - he'll probably love it in the end

If this is a beginner class, I doubt you'll be the only ones that aren't sure if they can 'hack it'. The instructor will probably assume not everyone is in tip-top shape anyway. If you can speak to him before hand, warn him that you're new to exercising and you don't know what your limits are and you might need to adapt your routine until you've had time to adjust.

BP

/waves from Montreal
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #4  
Chel

Height: 5'5"

YAY! How fun!!! I think you know if you're ready... and you sound pretty darn ready! I agree... if you go have fun and do what you can, it'll be fine. My husband would probably say something like that too... he doesn't like to do much these days. I would love to do something like that! Have fun!!!

Last edited by project chel; 02-04-2008 at 04:48 PM.
project chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #5  
vek

Well, thank you, guys! Thank you!
Yes, is true, my DH is shy like a flower to show others his huge belly and his lack of exercising. I also think he feels a bit jealous that I am an orange belt and he has none! Also, as most canadians, he thinks the only sport on the planet is hockey, and he practice it a lot with a beer and a pizza in front of the tv! Esspecialy if "les Canadiens" have a match!
But I know that if we pay money for the inscription to this club, he will want to come! Cause we have bikes, and we have skates and a swimmingpool but, because we don't have to pay a fee for having them, everytime I insist we skate, or swim or bike his answer is "tomorrow".
So, wish me luck cause tonight is the night! I don't even have a kimono anymore so we will start training in joggings.
Waves from Lanaudiere!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #6  
vek

Or, going from sofa to...SOFA!
Guess what happened guys?!?!?!
My wonderfull, delightfull, precious husband didn't show up HOME tonight!
He didn't even call! And he is the one driving the car, there is no way I can go to the club by walking, is much, much too far! And a taxi will have cost me the price for one month inscription!
And guess what? Nothing wrong happened, don't even think he had an accident or something imprevisible came out, no, no, no! I called his job 15 minutes AFTER the training started and he was there, hunging up with the "guys"...And he wasn't even thinking of calling me home to say something like "honey, I'm late".
I don't know what to do.
I'm soooooo sooooooooo soooooooo down.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #7  
Chel

Oh, sweetie! I'm sorry. That really really sucks. Do you have any workout tapes you could put in or something... maybe that would make you feel better or go for a walk?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #8  
vek

Quote:
Originally Posted by project chel View Post
Oh, sweetie! I'm sorry. That really really sucks. Do you have any workout tapes you could put in or something... maybe that would make you feel better or go for a walk?
Huh, I'm so down. I don't have any tapes but I have a bike. I will use it. That's all I can do. Outside is dark and snow and too cold for a walk, so I will ride my bike
Thank you for being with me.
I will ride that bike untill I will be slim and sexy and I will look at him to see how he is fat and rounded like a bowling ball!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Oh no!! That's awful of him to leave you with no way to get to the class!! It sounds like he's *terrified* of going!!!

Any way you can bribe a neighbour to drive you the next time if he pulls another no-show? Or maybe remind him repeatedly the next class?

Ugh - and you can't even go out for a stress-relieving walk. Crappy winter!

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Aww.

Maybe you should let him off the hook from the class. He might be more inclined to come home with the car if he can stay home and make dinner while you're out exercising. It sounds like he really doesn't want to do it--but that shouldn't stop you! Look forward to next week.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #11  
Chel

yeah... maybe you should let him out of it. I know how it is... I would LOVE for my husband to do something fun like that... I've tried and tried. Then finally I just threw up my hands and started doing things on my own. I'm much happier now that I let him off the hook... and I'll remind him of that when I'm gettin' second looks and he's not. Is that bad? Maybe I shouldn't have said that... well, too late.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #12  
vek

Quote:
Originally Posted by project chel View Post
yeah... maybe you should let him out of it. I know how it is...
Yes, indeed, I will let him out of this. I will go and practice alone, I will slim down, I'll get better while he will stay at home and eat pizza. And guess who will be the WINNER in the end? He will be approaching 300 while I will be approaching 100...He will have more and more difficult times in lacing his shoes while I will win my black belt! And I will laugh, God how I will laugh out loud when the time will come...
Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #13  
vek

Hurray! Victory!
I was finaly there! And I was running and I was doing push-ups and a lot of stuffs and it was soooooooo difficult! I went home and every muscle is painfull, I even feel muscles I didn't even know exists.
And today I went jogging in the snow and walking rapidly and I feel better allready!
Tomorrow I will go shovel a few tones of snow off my patio and I will ride my bike, and during the weekend I will iceskate!
And monday evening I will return to my karate class.
I know is darn difficult but I promissed myself not to let even a single day without exercising in a way or another. My body deserves exercising and good food. Real food.
It is a bit dissapointing that with all these efforts my pounds go away extremely slow. But what else can I do? I'm at a point where I can not realy increase anymore - for now - my physical exercising because I am already at a maximum I can handle. And I can not decrease my calories intake neither cause I'm already at less than 1200cal/day.
So, I don't know what to do. Pounds don't wanna go away!I guess they love me too much.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Yay you!

If you're eating fewer than 1200 calories a day, then that is almost certainly the problem. Bodies often have an easier time losing with a higher number of calories (say 1400-1500) than they will with 1200 or fewer. The idea is that the body thinks it is being starved to death and hangs on to every ounce of fat for dear life. I strongly, strongly, strongly suggest upping your calories to at least 1400 and trying that for a few weeks. You'll likely lose more weight and you'll definitely be less hungry.

(Also, in order to meet your nutritional needs, 1200 cals is the baseline. Unless you are being supervised by a doctor, you shouldn't be eating any fewer than 1200 calories per day, minimum!!!)

Unless you know your body and your weight loss needs really, really well, there is virtually no good reason to eat fewer than 1200 calories per day. It's bad for you and it's counterproductive. Really. Come hang out in the calorie counters forum if you want more info. We see this sort of thing all the time.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #15  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I say, now is better than never! I hope you enjoyed going to the dojo, I'm sure you will do fine. I went to a kenpo dojo when I was in high school, the reason I weight to long? I thought I was to fat and out of shape, however, not putting it off brought me a lot of good things: self-confidence, strength, and something to dedicate myself to. Have fun!
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote