Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Default What do you guys do to calm stress without food?

I'm just looking for some ideas. Since I've stopped binge eating, I've been feeling alot of intense anxiety (I haven't been getting cravings to binge so I guess it's a good thing). The only thing I've been doing thats sort of worked is taking long hot showers. Anyone have some suggestions to entertain yourself/calm yourself without food?
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I am a BIG stress eater and am constantly trying to deal with this (I've been feeling a lot of stress lately!)

- EXERCISE! Helps reduce my stress! Keeps me out of the kitchen (or my desk drawer at work with my snacks) AND burns calories. Take a walk somewhere!

- I sometimes get myself a big mug of tea. Good flavor and keeps my mouth busy.

- Talk to myself. Try to figure out what's making me feel the stress and see if there's another way to reduce it.

- If I do feel I need to munch, I try to munch on lots of raw veggies. I now bring a big bag of veggies to work for just such an occasion.

These techniques aren't always successful. Sometimes I just do stress eat. In that case, I need to forgive myself, move past it, and get back on plan as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Heather; 02-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I drink tea, or read a book, or play a game online. Fancy tea has become my new addiction. I've got oodles of containers of nifty loose leaf tea so I don't get bored.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i exercise, take the dog for a walk, or ride my horse

Also, for indoors, i like giving myself a mini facial. I have an awesome 10 min facial i got from orgins that is refreshing and relaxing. I also like to pain my toe nails for relaxation. I think the methodical mindless strokes of painting the nails is very relaxin. I also enjoy surfing the internet, unlike a lot of people, when i'm on the internet, i get lost and don't crave food.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm in the camp who likes exercise for this purpose. Going for a walk, maybe doing a light lifting sequence with hand weights, doing some yoga, going to the fitness center and using the aerobic machines... Also, meditation is helpful for calming the mind.

Getting away from what I'm doing and having some tea (preferably decaf!) also helps. Playing with my cat is good, too. Gets my mind off of me, and the cat is happy.

Sometimes chewing a gum like Trident helps, too.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Similar list to those above:
yoga, meditation, exercise - of ANY type, audio books, classical music, tea, breathing exercises, sudoku, I love nature photography - so just reviewing some of my pictures really calms me and reminds me that the world is bigger than my little problems. If God can create the beauty around us, I CAN keep from eating when I am stressed.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My top 5 are:

exercise
a good, escapist novel
hot bubble baths
going for a drive to nowhere
singing at the top of my lungs!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Besides what has already been mentioned? Watching funny movies or good things on TV like CSI or Law & Order usually gets me smiling. Good Will shopping is another good one... I rarely have money to burn on new clothes, but I'm always surprised at how much awesome stuff I find at the thrift store. I also listen to music while stressed. Angry punk music usually does the trick for me I recently bought a punching bag, which has also proved to be INCREDIBLY liberating. I thoroughly enjoy punching and kicking the crap out of it and often feel MUCH better after I'm done.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

I chew gum! It also helps prevent me from biting my nails. Double duty!!
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #10  

I knit to get rid of stress. I know it's not very active but I won't eat because sticky, crummy hands and yarn don't mix so good.
SeekingBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215-220?/200/155

Height: 5'9"

take a nap! haha! or just stretch out on the bed and relax for a few minutes when i don't have time for a nap
M a g g i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

meditate (free ones on itunes podcasts), listen to relaxing music, EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique - google Gary Craig for free info), sew, take a bath
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

thanks guys, these are some great new ideas I'm going to use your suggestions, make a list and put it on the wall in my room so that when I am feeling stressed I'll have a list of suggestions waiting for me.

could the people who suggested tea possibly suggest a few brand names and flavors. I am not a tea drinker (but want to try it) and don't know a whole lot about the stuff.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Sometimes I can distract myself with housework or going outside and playing with my dogs. If I'm really stressed the only thing that helps is going to the gym and working out. It gets me out of the house as well. Then, on the way home I treat myself to a Starbucks Iced Green Tea with no sweetener. This is a way to pamper myself with Starbucks and at the same time have 0 calories. It satisfies that feeling of having something in my mouth, and I love the taste, so I can totally indulge without guilt. Hope this helps!
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #15  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

scrapbooking, chewing gum, and drinking lots of water.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote