Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default Cool Runners - February 2008

New month but no running for me today .... Snow, sleet, wind, snow... No way will I go out there
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for starting the new month, Ilene!

So -to repeat myself () 5.25 hard miles on the treadmill today. Boo! Don't know why it was so hard... tomorrow will be better!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Heather -- Worth repeating ... Dreadmills are ALWAYS hard ...
Old 02-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did a 6 mile tempo run yesterday (1 mile warm up, 4 miles at 8 minute miles, 1 mile cool down) but I'm not sure whether I'll be running today or tomorrow. It's my sister's hen weekend, and it's snowing. I'm taking my running stuff because there's a gym at the spa we're going to during to during the day today, and at the hotel we're staying at tonight, and for once a treadmill looks like a nice option (I only have a 3 - 4 mile easy run scheduled, so I can bear it for that length of time), but if I miss it, I'll just let my body take advantage of the rest.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #5  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm doing a 4 mile race tomorrow morning, and today I'm going to run over to the packet pickup, which is about 4 miles roundtrip. I'll use today to test out my new workout clothes and see if they'll be good for tomorrow. My goal is to do an 8:30 pace for the race, so we'll see.

Then next week I have another half-marathon! Goal for that is to beat my previous time (even if it's just by a few seconds), and to feel GOOD doing it so that my race pictures come out better and not like I'm in agony
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #6  
Heather 2.0

Laura - good luck tomorrow!! How'd the clothes feel?

Thanks Ilene! Snowy here too, as you can imagine, but at least the roads aren't as treacherous today as they were yesterday!

Helen, I'm a bit thick here - what exactly is a 'tempo run'? I know you've explained how your six miles are broken down, but I'd never heard of a tempo run before I started using 'Running Ahead'... is it maintaining a set speed?

Heather

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 02-02-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Hi ladies! I know I haven't posted in awhile, but I thought I would post my 10k race report. Copied and pasted from my blog:

Let's see, how to start? Oh yes, it was a beautiful day. I don't know if anyone reading this is familiar with the Natchez Trace, but this is where this race took place. It's a parkway that follows the route of an old trail that went from Mississippi to Tennessee and had high traffic from Native Americans and European explorers. There are markers all along the way. People like to bike there and run. It's nice and wooded with the occasional farm land or cows and there are plenty of deer peeking out of the trees. In other words, this was a nice place to run.

I picked up my best friend we drove down the Natchez Trace Parkway, not really sure of where this place was. Eventually we found it and I hurried over to the registration tables since there was only about 10 minutes until it started. I was running a little late due to childcare issues.

Anyhoo, I get over there and the lady says "You can pay here" and I said that I'd already registered online. She told me to go over to the box by the truck. Apparently she should've been more specific, because I found myself rummaging through the box of winning plaques , which were in brown colored envelopes (it was the only box I saw!). And I'd just realized my mistake when one of the race organizers busted me....I joked that that was the only way I was going to get one of those! Anyway, I found the boxes, which were totally not where she said they were.

I lined up with the rest of the runners, toward the back where I belong, and listened to instructions. This was the first race I'd run on a road that was not closed off, so we were warned to watch the traffic. I decided then to not listen to my ipod. I was so incredibly nervous, my tummy felt like it was full of butterflies.

So the gun went off and I ran much faster than I intended, but it felt so good that I kept it up. A lot of people passed me, but I was expecting it, so I didn't' sweat it. I just tried to look around at the beautiful surroundings. I was surprised to see another very overweight person running too. I don't know why, but I felt pride in her and I gave her a smile as I passed her and then later after the race. I won't make this long and drawn out, but it was a good run. I was a little discouraged around mile 2 when the first speed walker passed me (how in the world can those people WALK a 5k in under 30 minutes?!) But there are always 3 that attend these races and beat the slower runners. Luckily, they were only doing the 5k, so I didn't have to see how badly they would've beaten me at a 10k lol.

Around mile 5 is when I really started getting tired. Some people who were speed walking the whole thing (though I think they may have started out running) went ahead of me and I just let them. Then I saw a guy who'd been in front of me for a good while and decided to focus on getting in front of him. I eventually did and that felt good, but it was hard. Then the last 0.5 miles a lady behind me kept trying to run faster than me so we went back and forth and I think I was like 3 seconds in front of her lol.

But here is the best part: My time was 1:17:50! I can't believe it! On my training run it took me 1:20 just to do 5.5 miles. Someone told me good job as I finished and that made me feel really good, but made me wonder if I looked pitiful out there. I didn't place of course, but I felt so happy that I'd done it at such an unexpected time.

I am already very sore.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Bravo Leeda....You finished the race and that is NOT pitiful at all...

No running for me today did legs at the gym...
Old 02-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

today I looked out at the weather and my normal stoic run in anything except ice attitude gave way. I postponed my run for 40 minutes and then went out. Didnt do the pace run I was supposed to do, but still finished my 7 and change.

please please please let it be decent tomorrow. I dont have the strength to do 13 on the sidewalks with tentative footing. HAving to stick to sidewalks means lots of little loops
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #10  
Heather 2.0

Way to go, Renee - you ought to feel awesome!

Hope your weather's better tomorrow, Ennay.

6.5 miles for me tonight. MUCH better today
Old 02-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #11  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hey gals! You all have had a great start to February. I'm about to head out for my unscheduled run this morning. Today is supposed to be a rest day, but I'm bumping up tomorrow's run to today and Wednesday's run to tomorrow because we'll be spending the entirety of Wednesday en route to the States. Despite the fact that we leave Seoul at 11:30 in the morning and arrive in Philadelphia at 4:30 the same afternoon, we'll actually be traveling for about 25 hours! It'll be our fourth cross-global () trip and the kids have been SO good the last three times that I am praying they continue the trend. I've been hyping it up as a big adventure like the last times and I have new coloring books, reading books, and a couple new movies for everyone. Plus snacks. Lots of snacks! (For them, not me!)

Did a six miler yesterday, outside in beautiful just-above-freezing-sunniness. It felt good to get back outside again! Today looks bright and promising so I'll probably do my three miles around the flight line so I have something interesting to look at.

Heather, you've been rocking this running! Way to go!

Renee, nice race! Was it your first? I've *never* entered a race before, so it'll be an experience once this marathon comes around!

Ennay, I'll hope for nice weather for you if you hope for nice east coast weather for me come next weekend. K?

Good luck at your race, Laura! I'm sure you'll be stunning in your new duds. You are the stealer of the scene, right?!

Helen, enjoy your time with your sister! (Now that I know what a hen do is...) I'm sure the dreadmill will treat you just fine for your short run.

Ilene, thanks for starting the new thread. Way to go getting that running in despite the less-than-fun conditions!

Off to get ready to work out!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Hey, check it out! Less than 900 miles to go!!!

Kara
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #13  
Heather 2.0

@ Kara: Look at that girl go!!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Kara, this way my first 10k. I ave done 2 5ks. I'll be crossing my fingers that your kids have a good trip. I can't imagine just taking one on that long of a trip, so your kids must be little angels! I know you are going to do great on your marathon...and the next 900 miles!

Ilene, thanks!

Heather, awesome 6.5!

Today was a rest day for me, also had to work a 12 hour shift.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #15  
Visualizing the Goal

I know, Heather. She's awesome, huh? I wanna be just like her when I grow up!

Thanks for the crossed fingers, Renee!

Got in three miles today. It was a bit windy, but not too bad for only being out there for a short run.

Kara