Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/192/140

Height: 5'3

Default I need to give up soda!

I drink Diet Montain Dew and need to give it up but i dont know how. when i go more than a day with out it i feel awful. anyone else out there have withdrawals from giving up soda? Is a diet soda everyonce in awhile ok? I usually only have one a day but lately i have been having more.
mommyagain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #2  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I found that giving up pop/soda was the hardest thing for me... I've been drinking it every day for 20 years. I knew I had to give it up, though, after spending a month collecting all the caps from the pop bottles I drank. The pile was huge!

I tried going "cold turkey" and drinking only water, but that didn't work. I really needed some caffeine, and I missed having a drink with a little fizz and flavor. For the last month I've been drinking flavored Polar seltzer. The lemon, vanilla, and pomegranate flavors are fantastic, and I've found that if I get some caffeine elsewhere (coffee, tea) I don't miss drinking pop that much. Every once in a blue moon I'll have a diet Coke, but I've grown to like the seltzer so much that I don't crave pop of any kind anymore. I've had one 20-ounce bottle in the past five weeks.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Ija; 02-02-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Maybe wean yourself off? It's prolly the caffeine your body is missing the most. Maybe green tea which has caffeine but not near as much as Mt. Dew.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

One thing that helps me is to dilute the soda with plain sparkling water. As time goes on, you use more and more sparkling water and less soda. Then one day you can omit the Mt. Dew and put a slice of lime or lemon in the sparkling water instead. Or, you can start adding the fruit while there is still some Dew, and that way you get used to the mix.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #5  

Wink thanks

thanks for the advice, do you think it will help with weight loss? i switched to diet cause i thought it might help but it really didnt do much of anything but get me addicted to something else!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Personally, diet soda never hindered my weight loss. I loss about 50 pounds last year, and I drank diet soda every day. It has no calories and little sodium; the real question is whether the sweetness of even the artificial sweeteners triggers cravings for you or makes you want to eat more. For me, I can drink a diet soda instead of eating junk, so it's actually a very helpful weight loss tool.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, maybe sparkling water or flavored water could be something different now and then and help to wean yourself off drinking so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Personally, diet soda never hindered my weight loss. I loss about 50 pounds last year, and I drank diet soda every day. It has no calories and little sodium; the real question is whether the sweetness of even the artificial sweeteners triggers cravings for you or makes you want to eat more. For me, I can drink a diet soda instead of eating junk, so it's actually a very helpful weight loss tool.
Same here. The diet soda actually helps me because it satisfies my sweet tooth. But I can understand if it causes problems with cravings or whatever, it should probably go. That being said, since I stopped drinking regular soda I find that I drink a lot less diet soda and more water/tea/flavored low-cal stuff. Caffeine is probably a big part of it too, I know I was sure addicted to caffeine. Maybe switching up with some diet caffeine-free here and there to wean off the caffeine and then trying to go to water?
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Diet soda helped my weight loss too, like jillybean and amy. I do worry about the chemicals in it, however, and I hate being addicted to caffeine. Now that I'm pregnant, I won't do the diet soda thing, but I have a small cup of Coke in the morning so I won't get the caffeine headache. Maybe you could just have a small amount of Diet Mountain Dew (that's my favorite diet drink too, by the way, and I used to drink tons of it) to satisfy the caffeine thing, and slowly try to wean yourself off it the rest of the time.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I would recommend limiting yourself to one per day, for every day that you follow your diet. Perhaps when you get home from work, sit down in a comfortable chair and enjoy one glass of the stuff. (but make sure you drink water throughout the day). In moderation there is nothing wrong with diet sodas, it's just that some people guzzle the stuff (and drink little water) and it lowers their energy.

I bet that if you limit your diet soda to one per day and drink a few glasses of plain water instead that you will notice the diffrence in your energy in a week or so.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thinking about it some more, I used to drink more soda than I do now, but now I drink more water, though I never actually tried to cut back on the soda. Maybe instead of focusing on limiting your soda (which feels like a negative, deprivation, something you have to give up, etc.), you could place your focus on drinking more water (which is more of a positive--helps with weight loss, clears skin, healthier hair, healthier joints, etc.). I bet if you were drinking more water throughout the day, you'd end up drinking less soda simply by not needing that many drinks!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

The other day I bought some Lipton sugar free green tea, and when i put one of those packets in my bottled water, shook it up, then took a drink,I couldn't believe how it reminded me of mountain dew,just a little watered down and flat mountain dew, but that's what it reminded me of and I love it, mountain dew(regular) is my weakness, in fact I tore into one friday night, my Dh brought some home acouple weeks ago and I have been really good,had not touched one 'till friday and I even gave one away,I don't do that with my mountain dews people. But anyway, try that lipton green tea for bottled water and see what ya think....
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #12  
Chel

Height: 5'5"

I used to drink somewhere around 6 20 oz. Dr. Pepper's (regular) a day. I quit cold turkey and had some pretty bad withdrawl type feelings... bad headaches, fatique and I was really grumpy... pretty much like PMS. Anyway, I took some advil or something for the headaches and pretty much just waited out the rest. It was kind of like quitting smoking (I quite 5 months ago) but the temptation and withdrawl didn't last as long. I was trying to drink plain old water but couldn't quite get enough in a day. So, I mixed a smidge of the crystal light lemonade (about 1/2 cup)for a little flavor and fill the rest of my 32oz container with just water. So far I've been drinking 2-3 of those a day without much trouble. I've noticed that I don't have that sausage finger feeling anymore and I don't get tired as easily or have headaches at night. I also sleep much much better. And the soda doesn't even taste good to me anymore.
project chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #13  

Thanks everyone its so helpful to know that here are others in the same boat as you. I also want to get pregnant in the fall so if for anything else i need to cut back. Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #14  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Height: 5'7"

I gave soda up cold turkey since December. All you need to do is survive on flavored vitamin water for awhile. I am still on vitamin water, but it works. Haven't touched soda, nor felt the need to!
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #15  
Duzzie

Default Diets sodas are bad

Oh sweetie you do know diet sodas are worse for you the regular soda right?

But yeah i have that problem. If i dont have at least one coke everyday i dont feel right. I think its from the caffiene. So what i have been doing it everytime i crave one i grab water, and if that dosnt work i try tea (with caffeene in it). So far its been 4 days without a coke, and i feel fine.
\
GOOD LUCK!
Duzziebat is offline   Reply With Quote