Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Default Is it really necessary to let go of sweets on LC?

I've been hearing alot about sugar alcohols (found in most sugar free chocolates, candies, etc.) and how they are the "DEVIL". So much so that I decided to start a thread where I would like to hear your stories. I would like to weigh the benefits of both (i.e., the emotional and mental issues of cutting out that little sweet).

Anyone able to find a happy medium??? Something you can live with and be happy, satisfied and not feel unfulfilled??? Also, any acceptable, yet delishous treats you want to post would be most helpful. Thanks...Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband is extremely affected by sugar alcohols and some sugar and fat substitutes (stomache cramps, nausea, diarrhea...).

Olestra doesn't bother me at all, nor any of the sugar substitutes. The sugar alcohols are another story. I'm not as sensitive as my husband, but I do have to read the serving size carefully. Usually I don't have a problem with a single portion, but I bought a small package of sugar free jelly beans without checking (it certainly seemed small enough to be a single serving, the bag only being about 2 inches square, but it turned out to be "4" servings). Yikes, did I get sick.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #3  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't eat any sugar alcohols, I just don't think I need them. I do use splenda I find I need very little to keep me satisfied. I use it to sweeten whipped cream, sometimes in tea, if I'm craving chocolate I have lindt, or poulain, dark chocolate which have about 2 net carbs per square. I also use davinchi or walden farms SF syrups.
If I realy need a treat I make chocolate mouse, with cream cheese whipping cream and SF chocolate syrope and cocoa, all whipped together(not for induction).
I very rarely drink diet soda, occasionaly I have a sip of DHs.
I find that after the first week or two I just don't crave sweets anymore.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have some Blue Bunny "no sugar added" strawberry ice cream in my freezer; it has sugar alcohols. I have a sore throat, so I thought it would be a nice treat. However, I had more than just a single 1/2 cup serving (sorry, but 1/2 cup is NEVER enough ice cream to quench my craving, nor to make my throat feel soothed). I spent the next day and a half with pretty bad gas

For me personally, I think the whole point of the low (or "good") carb plan is to get away from eating the sweets and such. If I keep eating the sugar-free ones, I'll never completely get rid of the cravings. Yes, it's hard to give up those treats at first, but after a couple of weeks, I don't even miss them and feel I've been freed from my cravings. I want to control my food, not be controlled by my cravings. I don't feel I should ever have to feel the need to eat something every day, if that makes sense. It makes me feel less in control.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jilly...good post.

There was no happy medium with me and sweets and/or sugar alcohols....my efforts just spiraled downward with every funky food I put in my mouth.

If your following Atkins, I believe it IS necessary to get off the sweets, even the frankinfood sweets...the whole purpose is to get your body off of that stuff.

If your following a low carb plan of your own, it might be okay to eat them depending on how many carbs your allowing yourself....and if you can handle it.

If those carbs/chemicals agree with you, you can eat them in moderation and you lose weight...more power to you. If you find your eating that stuff, getting wicked stomach pains/gas, your weight loss is stalling or craving sugar it should be common sense to lay off of it.

Last edited by Leenie; 02-02-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #6  
banned

hmmmm...reminds me of when I first tried chocolate (sugar free w/maltitol) and didn't realize what can happen when you eat too much....whew...that was baddddd!!!!

What is Olestra and where can you buy it??? I went to the health food store today and saw this Stevia ($12 bucks!!!). Anyways, I know alot of LC's use it. Have you tried it? Any thoughts on what's the best (for us people with a sweet tooth, not addicted, but just like it)? Also, why is it the best? Thanks for your post. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Olestra doesn't bother me at all, nor any of the sugar substitutes. The sugar alcohols are another story...

Usually I don't have a problem with a single portion, but I bought a small package of sugar free jelly beans without checking (it certainly seemed small enough to be a single serving, the bag only being about 2 inches square, but it turned out to be "4" servings). Yikes, did I get sick.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #7  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I've tried stievia, it's not bad but I like splenda better because I think it tastes more like real sugar.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #8  
banned

I love splenda too!! I wish they made all candies/chocolates with it. I wonder why they don't???? Anyway...thanks for your input Puncezilla. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncezilla View Post
I've tried stievia, it's not bad but I like splenda better because I think it tastes more like real sugar.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Olestra is a fat substitute, not a sugar substitute. I know it can be found in some lower fat potato chips.

I'd like to chime in on the Stevia. I have some. I know it seems expensive, but you don't need to use nearly as much of it to get the same amount of sweetness as you do other things because it's multiple times sweeter than actual sugar. I bought a plastic jar of it, and it is literally hundreds of servings per container, so don't let the price scare you too much, because a little goes a LONG way

Also, some people prefer to have something more natural instead of chemically-altered sweeteners, so if that's of any concern to you at all, Stevia is NOT an "artificial sweetener" because it is all natural, whereas artificial sweeteners are more chemicals than anything else. (I'm not trying to preach, just pointing out the difference--I do use products with Splenda and drink other artificially sweetened sodas; I just use Stevia as a sweetener in things like oatmeal).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

You can not buy Olestra (at least I don't think you can)...Olestra is a calorie-free fat substitute synthesized from sucrose and vegetable oil for use in snacks such as potato chips, and capable of passing through the body without being digested.......aka...gas and bad attacks of diarrhea LOL.

Stevia is made from a noncaloric herb and is being used as a sugar substitute. The extract is supposed to be 300X sweeter than sugar They claim its supposed to be natural. I'm not sure if that is true since I do not know what they do when they process it. My neighbor swearers its all natural If you buy a bottle you only use a teeny amount so it will prob last a long time. Splenda (which is a chemical) cost alot of money too....100 packets for $8 which is only like 3.5 oz.

See....more reason to eat clean...saves you a bundle of $$$

Last edited by Leenie; 02-02-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Uhhh forgot to spell check
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Jilly I was typing as you were LOL ..... I agee with your post. I also have a small bottle of Stevia (b/c my neighbor uses it) and yes, you only use a teeeeeeny amount.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #12  
banned

Thanks all for your posts. How would you all compare Stevia vs. Splenda in the taste department??? Good point Leenie...Splenda is pretty expensive, but I buy the large industrial bags for $6 at Walmart. But I would buy the Stevia if it had the same kind of taste. The reason I like Splenda is because it doesn't have that harsh aftertaste that asparteme/sweetnlow do. Any thoughts????
Old 02-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Bambi, even though I have a bottle of Stevia I've never tasted it guess I should huh. My DH who is on Atkins uses splenda, he likes it because just like you, he says it doesn't have a funky after taste (which I agree). The only problem I had with splenda was in Diet Rite soda (which doesn't have any carbs b/c they use liquid splenda) 10 minutes after I would drink a glass, I had a wicked headache..... so I stopped drinking the soda. Now... I can drink diet iced tea made with splenda and no headache..... go figure?

I'll let you know if I ever venture into that Stevia bottle

Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

The feeling of deprivation and unfulfillment is a symptom of addiction.

My personal experience with sugar alcohols has been less than the treat I thought I was getting. I get bloated, stomach cramps and have loose stool. But the worse thing of all is the cravings that they trigger. I started out with one bar a day. Then I start to have one after dinner. Then I rationalize that I would save so much more money if I bought a box instead of a single bar. Next thing, I'm eating bars for breakfast [I no longer eat food for breakfast], snack and after dinner. My weight loss stalls but I say to myself, "I'll finish this box and start my diet anew on Monday. But while I wait for Monday I might as well have some ciabata bread." And thus is the story of my past low carb life.

Last year, I came to the realization that sugar alcohols aggravate my cravings. Cravings are a symptom of addiction. Also, when I stopped eating sugar alcohols on a consistent basis, my PMS symptoms decreased and eventually went away. I no longer crave chocolate during PMS and I don't bloat either.

Consistently replacing a meal with a bar is not conducive to weight loss or health. Induction was meant to switch your body's energy source from carbs to fat. You need the protein and fats for you body to function. Eating enough green veggies daily actually helps you break your addictions.

BlueX posted a link about the effect of sugar alcohols on blood sugar levels. Several recent studies found that sugar alcohols in no way fool your brain or your body. Your blood sugar levels still rise and keep your brain addicted to sugars. Also, sugar alcohols do nothing to improve your health.

Per Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, during induction, Splenda is acceptable and preferrable but you have to include 1 gram of carb for each package you use.

Once you are in pre-maintenance or maintenance, then you may find that you can have those low carb treats. But at that point you have to see how it effects your weight maintenance. Remember, sweets are supposed to be a treat, not a part of your daily diet. When you start restricting the amount of fake sugar you eat you will find that on special occasions, they really are a treat.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

If you use too much stevia it has a bitter aftertaste.It has a very different flavor from splenda I think it tastes like sweet and low. Its not approved as a sweetner because large quantities can cause fertility problems. Like anyone can tolerate large quantities of the stuff. Its not as good as splenda but its not a chemical soup either. Personally I don't use much at all. I think even sweet tasting food can trigger insulin responses and cravings so I generally avoid anything sweet all together whether it be real or artificial.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote