Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default waiting for that next meal or snack

I am so, so grateful to have pulled together about 4 monthes of sane healthful eating. However, often I struggle with "waiting for the next time I can eat." I have my food planned out - that is helpful to me. Many times - after I eat lunch - I can hardly wait until it's "time" for my snack. I keep watching that clock.

Does that happen to you? If so, how do you deal with it?

I know it isn't real hunger - it's the "wanting to eat" syndrome. There's a big difference, of course. I know I've made good progress in my relationship with food lately. I do have days when it's not so "hard". However, I wonder if I'll ever get rid of this waiting for the next time I can eat thing.

Thanks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-01-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

Height: 5'4

yes you will it just takes time it gets better, not to say it completly goes away maybe for some but I don't think for everyone,
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quite honestly, I go through this as well. I actually go through phases. I totally detest those times, but then it passes and I'll have a period where it's not always on my mind - and then the feeling will come back again - and then it thankfully goes away again.

For those times when it's occuring, I munch on very low cal things, raw string beans, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, chewing gum. I'll drink some tea. And very often I'll do something to occupy myself. Clean up a drawer, read, the computer, something.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, I do battle the "waiting for the next time to eat." I think its because I've planned some yummy food for my days. If I were eating dry salad, maybe I wouldn't care so much.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I used to go through the "waiting to eat," but no longer. In fact, I'm trying something new, which is, if it's time for a snack and I'm not hungry, I don't eat the snack until I am hungry. It may be an hour later than scheduled, or I may not feel hungry until mealtime. I don't skip meals--but I do sometimes skip a snack. Or, I might find that I want two afternoon snacks, since lunch is at 12 and dinner isn't until 6 sometimes. That's a long time in there.

But it took awhile before I could figure out whether I was actually hungry or not. And the clock really helped me avoid mindless munching.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #6  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Beverly-
Go paint your fingernails in between meals. Who wants messed up nails?? You have to wait for them to dry-right? Can't be digging into the fridge with wet nails.
Then go iron all of your clothes. Voila! No more clock watching......
Keeping super busy gets rid of all of the cravings. (well, most of them).
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #7  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I do the same thing especially at work but weekends aren't as bad. I think the key is staying busy because then you don't think about it. Haven't figured out how to do that at work yet.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

The last ten days of low carbing, I haven't felt like I've been waiting to eat. Must be all the protein I'm getting! instead of three snacks a day, sometimes I'm only hungry one of those times.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #9  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh I can relate...I sometimes feel like the only thing I think about is the next time I'll eat...it's obsessive! However, if I can find something, anything, to keep me busy, then I am able to refocus and will sometimes be late eating my next meal/snack.

Also, I think I need to start chewing gum more. Keeps the taste of something in my mouth, and gives my teeth something to do.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #10  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Oh, I'm fat--- I'm obsessed with food. before dieting, I was used to my belly being full ALL THE TIME. My body doesn't like the fact that although it's not HUNGRY it's not FULL... and it gets angry and tries to yell at me to "FEED ME!"

psssssh... Shut up stomach. You have food in there to tide you over. Just chill out. I'll eat when I know you're not fibbing and you're really hungry.

I eat all day long--- little things. I eat small low cal thigns all day and save the majority for dinner with my hubby when he gets of out work at 9:30pm. So, there's definately a lot of that "waiting" going on here!

Today I had grapes around 9:30, I'll have a banana around 12:30, maybe eat an apple around 3:30 or 4... I'll go home and have some veggies and dip around 6 or so... start cooking dinner and then eat the majority of my calories. So my belly is waiting, but never too long!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #11  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I like to eat, I enjoy the tastes and textures of food - so I do look forward to certain meals. Not all of them, but I plan my days out usually the night before and I will really look forward to dinner 24 hours in advance! That's so sad LOL!

It's not cravings, though - that has been a great thing that I don't have to deal with anymore.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #12  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

This is still me! I think it's especially true at home. I don't think much about it at work but that afternoon, it's me going from snack to meal to snack. I have been trying to eliminate one snack because i think I just eat out of habit. Still, I tell myself that I am diabetic and I need to keep a regular eating schedule. And well the scale has been kind to me so maybe it's not so bad. I also think that eating and drinking water all day long keeps my metabolism going.

I would like to break that obsession with food. I tell people that I may have lost weight but I am just as obsessed with food as I used to be, it's just healthier now since I think about all the ways I am going to eat healthy food hee.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #13  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Maybe break what you are going to eat for one meal into two. You don't have to wait so long to eat but you aren't eating more than you were going to in the first place. For example

Pre breakfast
1/2 Medium Apple
2 Pieces of toast with spray butter

Breakfast
4 oz orange juice
2 egg whites scambled with
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

I eat at least 6 times a day just by breaking down each major mean into two meals.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #14  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Oh yes, oh how I relate.
Food, food, food. The obsession! I'm an addictive personality and food replaced cigarettes for me, hence the weight gain. In my pre-diet days I would just eat - all the time. This past month, since I started dieting, I just fill up between meals with fruit and build that into my calorie allowance. I find apples to be really filling. I can't allow myself to eat at night though, so sometimes that's tough.
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Thanks to everyone for your input, ideas, and reflections. It has helped me. I am laughing about Jayell's...do my nails - so they don't get messed up in the chip bag. Funny.

Thanks folks.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote