Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Smile GOLDEN GIRLS - February

~GOLDEN GIRLS~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you pasted the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-01-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning Everyone,

Just reviewing my data. I weighed 153.8 on November 1 2007. Today, I weigh 152.8. 1 pound in 3 months! Maybe that's some kind of new record!

However, on the bright side, I know that I've upped my resting metabolism during this time. While I was losing, I was eating around 900 calories/day. Now, I'm up around 1200 - 1300/day. My plan for February is to exercise 60 min/day on 6 days/week and eat around 1000-1100 calories/day.
My beginning weight on March 1 will let me know whether or not this is a good plan.

I'm starting February with a lazy day. Will do all my exercise at home & will get my gazillion papers organized.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #3  

Good Morning GG's, The weather man predicted 4-10 inches of snow for us today. It started snowing around the time I went to bed last night and it's still coming down. Why do they always get the bad stuff righ?!! I had plans for today, but i'm not getting out unless I have to. I did go to the grocery store to stock up yesterday, just in case. But I wanted to go get my charm! I earned that thing and I want it!!! Ok, tantrum over.

Joanna, I looked at the vacation pictures. How beautiful. My niece works for Norwegien cruise lines and is stationed in Hawaii. She is always trying to get us to come visit. Your pictures gave some added incentive. And, how young you look! Isn't this a thread for over 50? You can't be that! Hope you are feeling better.

Birgit, Hope you're feeling better too. Lots of virises going around. My grandson was sick when I kept him Monday. He threw up all day (I know, too much information) and i though sure I would catch it too. So far, so good.

Ok, where is everyone again. Looking forward to hearing from you

Freda
Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #4  
Lifetime Loser

I can't believe that it's Feb. already!!!!

Well, I really really blew any shred of a diet last night. Didn't eat dinner until about 8:30 p.m. at the resturant with drinks before and during. I am paying for it today. Didn't drink that much but just not use to eating so late at night and then at 10:30 having birthday cake for one of the group....I only ate a few bites.

And to top it off we are invited to their house tonight for dinner and to a Super Bowl Party on Sunday!!!! I will have to start the Flat Belly Diet fresh on Monday.

The funny thing is now we probably won't have anything to do for 3 weeks after this weekend, we always get 3 or 4 things in a row Bam! then a dry spell so that will be perfect to start fresh.

Joanne, your pictures are great. How great to have that baby turtle right by you and I love watching whales, we watched a pod when we were on the Oregon Coast. Feel better soon....I'll bet you have lost some weight if your not eating much but you have plenty of time to start when you feel better.

Lynn, do you notice if you have more energy with more calories? Hey one lb. is good, I'm still playing with the same 5 lbs. losing and gaining it....that is going to stop. One hr. exercise a day should really shake things up for you.
Good Luck.

Cat, glad to see you posting again. I bet you didn't blow your SB diet too much, you've come to far to blow it now. Glad you enjoyed your family.

Freda, that's a lot of snow.....I know your happy you stocked up on food... you and Linda are really getting hit with that white stuff! lol

Just to rub it in, it was 80 here in Florida yesterday and for the rest of the week. We may go to the beach for a bit this weekend. I know, we are crazy for wanting to move to Ohio!

Phyllis

Last edited by floridarusty; 02-01-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

Hope the new month finds you all well and happy. Not in the greatest frame of mind today. Very DF and co-worker had a stroke right in front of me at work yesterday afternoon. As I was walking next to her on the way to the ambulance she was trying to say something to me. Had bad dreams all night that there is something she wants me to take care of for her but I can't get what it is. So far hosp. is only releasing info to family so I have to wait to hear from her sister. Please send prayers this way. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Life is hectic right now . . . see you later.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #7  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Happy Friday to all! Here I am, poking my rapidly aging self back in for an end-of-the week/beginning of a new month (Thanks, Lynn!) check-in, and have to say that I am looking forward with a whole lot of relief to having a weekend so I can lie back a bit and maybe get a little rest. Poor me…I sound pretty pitiful, eh? January blahs , I think it’s called? But now it’s February, soon to be March, spring is coming (or so they say) and I’m ready for it. I DID not start weighing and measuring everything I ate this past Monday as I had planned to do. My motivation went south on me. (Wish I had gone with it!) NOW, I’ve GOT to get back on the wagon, because if I don’t, I’m not even going to keep off these pounds that I’ve lost. It’s just so inherently unfair that for some of us, weight is so hard to lose, but, oh, so easy to gain!
Thanks for sending that book, Lynn. I found yet ANOTHER ancestor last night! I’ll fill you in after I’ve read about him; I was just on the verge of falling asleep when I saw his name on the list of sketches.
A little update on DH’s unemployment situation. He’s been home, now, for two months, just in case any of our newer people are wondering what I’m talking about. Fired from his job as a senior software engineer after seven years in that position, during which his reviews were all over the top, and payraises came like clockwork. Hah! Could it be his age, you ask? Hmmm. You THINK????? Anyway, he’s been home for two months and one week now, and now that our move is pretty much over with – everything more or less where it’s going to stay for the duration – and he’s studied Microsoft C# programming until he’s dreaming in C# - so now he is officially looking for work. He’s found quite a few possible positions that he’s qualified for and zipped off resumes and cover letters, so I guess we’ll just have to see whether or not there are other employers out there willing to hire somebody who has about five good years left to work.
Parents! Especially mothers! Yup, I SO know what you all have been talking about! My mother was a nurse, and was CONSTANTLY checking to make sure we had clean undies on “in case something happened and we were brought to HER emergency room”! Back then (late fifties, early sixties) the medical profession was obsessed with “regularity”, too. My mother made me take Milk of Magnesia one night a week until I finally threw up on her shoes in protest. Man, that stuff was horrible! Give me a fish oil capsule any day!
Well, Jo-annie, I’m sorry to hear about your bug, but glad you didn’t have it while you were actually on vacation. The pictures were awesome! Hope you’re feeling better today.
Wow, Cat! I didn’t realize that you’d lost fifty pounds! Congratulations, chickie!!!! What an achievement! And you did it eating gourmet meals that you prepared using SB-approved ingredients! Okay. You’re my inspiration this time around. (Gawd, and you are also an incredible photographer, decorator, and website designer. Is there no end to your talents and capabilities?) How’s your DD doing out in L.A.? I am a little fearful that DS is going to stay there permanently, which makes for nice visits to the west coast – and of course his visits back here – but it’s not like having him close to home. I’ve got to admit that I love it out there myself, though. If all my other kiddos – and grandkiddos - weren’t here in Massachusetts, I wouldn’t mind going out there (to L.A.) myself to live.
Hope you’re feeling better, Birgit…I’ve got to say that these New England winters are starting to work my last nerve, and that’s the truth! More snow & sleet coming today. Hooray! (NOT!)
Hmmm, Yoyo…the Fluidity sounds interesting. Where can I get more info? (And congrats on the half-pound down…that’s WAY better than a half pound UP, right?) Oh, NO. Just read your post! So sorry about your friend! My DD3's MIL had a stroke a couple of years ago - she's younger than I am, doesn't drink, smoke, or anything, and boom! She recovered fully, though, and you'd never know she'd had a stroke. I hope your friend recovers the same way!
Hi Freda – what kind of charm did you get? I like the concept – and you don’t have to come up with something different every month – just choose a new charm. I like it. Might try it if I ever reach goal myself!
Oh, Karen(31), I’ve been stuck at the same weight now for weeks on end. So what? Please keep checking in, because you really are missed, you know.
And Karen(3), Florida, which I have never liked that much because of the humidity, is sounding better and better to me all the time!
MaryLynn, I am SO glad that you’re acting up and out, and doing those marathons (and getting your DH to do them) because if ONE of us is doing it, I can slack off some….Okay, just kidding (sorta)…I may get back on my bike come spring, but I don’t think I’ll be doing the marathons. I’m happy to just be proud of you….
Hope you’re feeling better, Meowee-Linda…nothing worse than nasty weather, AND being sick. Get well soon!
Still sending good thoughts and prayers your way, Rosey.
Okay, Phyl...you and I can BOTH start fresh on Monday, eh? 80 degrees? Life is SO unfair! We're supposed to have icy rain & sleet starting early this afternoon. Ugh.
Hope you’re soaking up some rays down there in Florida, Lyn
Hope all is well with you & those cute grandkids, Gayle!
Okay, good vibes to all the Golden Girlies wherever you may be….have a great weekend!

Hugs all around,

Z
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I'm at school, so real quick post!

Zoe, I'm thinking about going to visit my daughter this summer if she doesn't get a chance to come home for a visit. She wants to desperately, and is trying to arrange a visit soon.

Here's more info on Fluidity Bar. Guess it works, cause I'm hurting today!

gotta rush, next class is coming in...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone! Well, I am not to happy with myself this morning --- I had to move my ticker UP two pounds!! But I kind of had a feeling that I would. This past week I have just been kind of feeling down and instead of going to the Gazelle or treadmill or trampoline I decided I would eat! But it is a new week and I am going to really try to get back on track! I need to quit worrying so much about EVERYTHING and start thinking more about what is good for me!

Zoe, I hear you--- Tim has been out of work now since the 12th of April!! And since he is only about 11 months aways from being 62 there aren't many places that are really excited about hiring him! So I'm just really hoping that the 5th wheel trailer and the house sells and we can get moved back to MO. soon! If all that happens things will work out so much better.

Well, I just wanted to pop in for a quick minute here. Hello to All the Golden Girls and we need to get in to the grocery store before the snow hits us again this afternoon! Take care
Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #10  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

YoYo, I am so very sorry to hear about your friend! It's so hard to stand by helplessly when a dear friend is sick... I wish her a very speedy recovery, and please know that we are here for you - OK?

Joanne, I don't know you yet, but welcome back! And thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures. Looks like you had an awesome trip, and I'm glad you're finally feeling better.

Zoe and Karen31, I understand how stressful your husbands' unemployment is for both of you. My situation is a little bit different, but just as unsettled. My BF lives 100 miles away and he is currently looking for a job. He's hoping to find something close to me, but there just are not very many opportunities here for him. Chances are that he'll have more luck in the big city, where he lives. So what will happen when he finds that job? What will our relationship look like from there on out? Our plan is that eventually we'll be living together and moving forward together. But it's quite likely that won't happen unless I relocate - and I don't wanna... I love it here... I have a really good life here with good friends and a good job and a wonderful community... wah, wah, wah. Anyway, it's just all feeling very unsettled right now, and I hate having to depend on someone else's circumstances to determine what my destiny will be. And of course I'm also "feeling" my BF's anxiety about being 53 and looking for a job in the construction industry. It all kinda feels like we're waiting for the next shoe to drop to find out what life will bring us next. I hate waiting...

Be well, Everyone - and happy February!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi y'all.....just know I included you all in my prayers for best friends family and new jobs. Phew decided to let God figure out who's who! Feb is the toughest month to get thru and this darn year tacked on an extra day! Some how everything looks gray in Feb and cabin fever is horrible.
In Oct I was stopped in traffic at a highway consruction area and some fool woman came flying 50mph into the Mac truck behind me. I happen to be looking in my rear view mirrow and saw his grill lift up and start foreward. I pushed my brakes to the floor and didn't hit the the car in front of me. Short end of story car is fixed but now it has wee problems that are about to nickle and dime me to death.....ha more like dollars dropping! The lastest is everytime i open my truck and the wind is blowing the lifters let go and yesterday it brained me. Goes back in Thursday for more repairs....I love my little convertible but may be time to go back to and old gramma car. Dash is moaning for dinner. karen
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hello all! Thanks for the invite Lynn
After spending a month on the challenge thread, and 4 months posting in the active folk thread - it is high time to join you all over here. Meowee and Karen - good to see you over here too To everyone else - hello! I am CountingDown (Laurie). I turned 50 in Oct. and so far - I am really enjoying this decade Something about turning 50 prompted me to get serious about getting rid of the extra weight I have been carrying around. Mostly, I think it was noticing that - at 50 - I was really starting to change my daily lifestyle and stopped doing things I liked to do because they were becoming too difficult. Life is too short to be restricted by a few (ok about 80) lbs. I WILL win this battle

I am in awe reading your posts! You are one courageous and active bunch of chickies

On to the personals -
Karen - I will continue to keep you and your situation in my prayers. Your patience is admirable -as is your faith. You are an inspiration!!!

Birgit - nice to meet you! How stressful it must be to be separated from your BF and be waiting to see what life brings! DH has been employed in the same hospital chain for 30 years. While we relocated 19 years ago, I can't imagine being in your situation.

Cat - what beautiful pictures of your daughter! And - what beautiful pictures in your gallery! You certainly enjoy using your camera! I need to learn from you and get mine out more. I know I will regret it if I don't! You are an inspiration

Zoe - wow - your DH is certainly determined! Learning a new programming language isn't easy! At least not for me!!! (I am a technology coordinator for our local school district). IT is a difficult field right now. There are lots of very wonderful and talented folk looking for work. It is difficult to watch so many experienced and gifted colleagues struggling - and - as many here know much better than me - age discrimination is alive and well and as ugly as ever. I will keep you and your DH in prayer!

Yoyo - prayers ascending! Keep us posted on how your friend (coworker) is doing!

Phyllis - OUCH - the weather in Northern Michigan is abysmal! I can only dream!!!!

Freda - where in MI are you? I just left the Detroit area today (technology conference) and the weather was frightful all the way home! Many cars in the ditch and several accidents along the way - I hope you are safe and warm

Lynn - I am so impressed by your ability to maintain (if not lose) during those months. Your plan is abitious - I need to take a page from your notebook. I really should up my exercise to 6 hrs per week. You are an inspiration!!!!

OK, I think I am caught up! I look forward to getting to know more about each of you

Blessings, and have a WONDERFUL weekend

Laurie

Last edited by CountingDown; 02-01-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Laurie, Nice to see you over here! I keep praying and asking God for patience but then I add "Please Hurry!" I talk to my Dad everyday and he always asks if we have sold anything yet. He is 88 years old and he just doesn't understand why things aren't moving like they should. I am very anxious to get back there and be with him and the rest of my family but I know things have to be taken care of here first. So I'm trying to convince myself to take this time to work on the weightloss and then I will feel so much better when I do get moved back there! And shoot--- I may even enjoy the swiiming pool he has this coming Summer!

Phyllis -- any news on your place? I know you are just as anxious as I am. I just wish things weren't so tight right now BUT I know there are people out there that are looking for a place just like yours and mine!!

Birgit, thanks for the words of encouragment. You must be going through some pretty tough times too.

Cat, your daughter looks like a movie star for sure!! You must be very proud. As always I love looking at your pictures.

Zoe, hope things are going good for you. Are you getting a lot of the snow there too? I was thinking about it this afternoon and we haven't seen bare ground since Thanksgiving! Not a whole lot of snow but it has been so cold that it isn't melting.

yoyo-- sending lots of prayers your way for your friend. Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Karen3-- Sorry to hear about your car problems. I know I had something like that happen to me in 1998. A guy ran a red light and hit me. Of course, I had just washed my Blazer and was so proud of what it was! Anyway, the insurance took care of it, totalled it out, We gave it to my son and he worked on it and had a good car for several years and I got a new Blazer in 2000. Up until then I had a little Subaru wagon. But I love my Blazer!

Lynn, don't get discouraged..... We all know that this isn't an easy journey but we know it is a worth while one. Just keep smiling and we can all do this!

Well, I'm sure I've missed people but I didn't intend to. Will try to post more often and take my own advice and KEEP SMILING!! Have a good night!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #14  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

OMG . . . just a quick HI while I'm able . . . freezing rain and high winds are threatening the power supply again.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #15  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

OH, Meowee, stay warm. I don't know if I could stand the cold without power..ouch!!!!

I tried a black bean brownie recipe last night that turned out pretty good, so thought I would share:

15oz can black beans (drained & rinsed well)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated Splenda
1/4 cup of SF flavored syrup (like vanilla or caramel. I used Monin O'Free caramel.)
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp strong coffee
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*F.
Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Add the beans last and make sure you blend VERY well.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.
Add a little agave necter on top if not sweet enough for you.

Nothing too exiting happening here today...just playing it by ear to see what the day brings. I got up early to work, had a couple of cups of coffee, did the fluidity exercises and now have roomba running around cleaning the floors. Off to a hot bath, then open to what the day brings. I have a "homework assignment" for photography class and may work on that. I also bought a new program to make "paintings" from photos and may play with that also.

Last edited by femmecreole; 02-02-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Closed Thread