General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Post The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group concerning the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.
The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies, our daily efforts, receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet coach to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking here.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
November 2007 The Beck Diet Solution
October 2007 The Beck Diet Solution
September 2007 The Beck Diet Solution
The Beck Diet Solution August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - support group? [ May/June 2007]

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-10-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: HTML error in links to September and November 2007 threads
Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Only 2 hyping days till the Super Bowl

Diet Coaches - A minor act was a big victory for me. Yesterday I had a meeting where we worked straight through lunch, which was provided. I was chomping on a chicken breast sandwich on focaccia bread - a really tasty bread but white flour and much oil. Focaccia is on my list of white breads to avoid. At the quarter mark I stopped, finished off the chicken, and threw away the 3/4 focaccia roll. It was pretty easy for me to ignore the FREE chips of six varieties, the FREE hot, fresh baked cookies, and the FREE sodas. But it was a big deal for me to throw away food. CREDIT moi.

Looking for someone to volunteer to start the discussion on Program-day 9 Select a Diet Plan and 10 Set a Realistic Goal.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for your efforts to fight the "Mood" and get back on track. I do hate those snacks that seem so unnecessary after they're done. LOL at the thought that heartburn is your gift to remember how you like healthy eating.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Yeah that your weight loss was noticed. Your plan to do something for yourself sounds so conducive to surviving as a mother. Both sound fun. Every wedding I attend I recommit to taking a ballroom dance class with DW so that we're not so clumsy on the dance floor.

wendy (wendylan) - Kudos for conquering the family dinner on Wednesday - that's really a big one, kudos for all the exercising, and kudos for getting right back on plan after getting thrown by the schedule change. Congrats for the great weight loss.

CherryAutumn - Kudos for marching forward completing the first bunch of Beck Program-days. And KUDOS for giving yourself credit for doing so.

CatR - What fun to be reminded of Mammoth Lake. I hiked there once - fond memories. Thanks for so many points that resonate with me: figuring out desserts, wishing to eat like everyone else, time for food prep and exercise.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for completing the hunger exercise, and double kudos for recognizing when you were done so that you could get back on track. I can understand the emotion of saying goodbye to the old self. Perhaps the old self will understand if her bon voyage came with small pieces of cake, LOL, so you don't have to ramp up to start your ramp down. Look forward to your Advantages Response List (ARL).

Readers - "I now know … If I regain weight, I can go back to using the skills I learned to lose it – every time." Beck, pg 13.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #3  

Thank you for the welcome. The eating slowly and mindfully went fairly well yesterday. *credit* - I did only have one plate at dinner without seconds.

Day 6 - Find a diet Coach - My husband and i are doing this together so he is my diet coach. He has always been supportive of me and always encourages me to do my best. Also i am sure that you guys will be my diet coaches to in a sense.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Hello Everyone May I join your group?
I've purchased the Beck Diet Book before Christmas but there was alot of life issues and I've not picked the book up until lastnight and I've only read a few pages. I have been very impresses with what I've read. Well I look forward to reading more and getting to know you guys.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #5  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone!

Really busy today but I wanted to post these and make it "official". On another note, I also just wanted to say thanks for being here! DH volunteered to be my coach, but he doesn't really understand what CBT is about - or, for that matter, the struggle I've had my whole life with food and body. I'm tremendously grateful to have his support, and also thrilled that you all are going through it with me and understand what I'm feeling!

Stated in present tense and as positive statements:
· I’m reducing my risk factors for high blood pressure, maybe even reducing my blood pressure.
· I enjoy getting dressed in the morning because I love the way clothes hang on me.
· I will be more comfortable and healthier throughout my next pregnancy.
· I like looking at pictures of myself. Single chin and visible cheekbones! C cup boobs! Butt dimples! Abs! Tight firm thighs!
· I get joy out of shopping for clothes. I can wear better clothes in smaller sizes.
· I have more confidence.
· My spirit is lighter.
· I can run long distances at a good pace, and feel good doing it.
· I automatically gravitate towards the best and healthiest food choices, and I love to exercise and feel almost compelled to work out.
· I’m a healthy mother.
· I like myself.
· I feel good when I look in the mirror.
· I feel in control.
· I feel great physically.
· I inspire my family to take good care of themselves.
· I’m guaranteeing I’ll be there for my kids for a long, long time.
· I have boundless energy.
· I’m able to focus my time and energy on all kinds of issues that have nothing to do with food, weight or body size.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/200/175

Height: 5'4"

Wow a new month already,Jan was a good month for me staying on track for the most part and easing back into exercise which I really do enjoy.Funny how some things about dieting can be easier for some and some are easier for others.I find it easier to get my exercise in,drink 8-12 8oz glasses of water daily and to stock up on healthy food options.I will take credit for these.More difficult for me would be staying away from candy and desserts and moodiness that just makes me want to give up.Beck adresses these sabatoging thoughts but the work is ongoing.I found myself thinking today"I don't care what Beck says I don't want to read those cards and I want to eat what I want to".I gave in,ate some candy and then thought to myself "that did not taste as good as I remember,didn't like it much at all and didn't take away my moodiness". Is that progress?Then I remembered some of my cards to avoid eating what you haven't planned.When faced with a craving:1 label it-identify the feeling is a craving
2-stand firm-tell yourself you will absolutely give in
3-don't give yourself a choice-NO CHOICE
4-imagine aftermath-picture yourself giving in and feeling out of control
5remind yourself why you are withstanding the craving-you won't be able to attain your goal if you can't withstand your cravings

Welcome kuhljeanie and mezmerize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kuhljeanie-You have put alot of thought into your advantage list,I especially would like to join you with· "I automatically gravitate towards the best and healthiest food choices, and I love to exercise and feel almost compelled to work out."
Is there a certain set day we start the week to adress the new chapters 8 and 9?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #7  

big hello to everyone,

Welcome to Mezmirez-Beck has alot of great things to say-love the step by step but still it takes time to really intergrate all of her ideas and make the long term changes. We are a great group here-much luck on this journey.

Wendylan Yes, it is progress when you try the old ways(overating in order to feel better) and you really know it does not work any longer. You still may give it a try occassionally but the behavior is on the way out because you have acknowledged this just doesn't work. Wish I had your success in doing exercising. Much credit for your changes.

Kuhljeanie-how wonderful you have a supportive Dh-they are best (got one too) but this is a great spot to go over stuff in details they are not aware of. My Dh can actually forget to eat when busy-wow not one of my common responses. Thanks for posting your list. Feeling in control and mastering poor eating habits is big one for me also. Having lost 66 lb I do feel so much better inspite of still being over 300lbs. Hopefully by the end of April I'll be under 300's.

CherrryAutumn-glad mindful eating went well-at 1st I found it hard. It is great tht DH is working the program with you-keeping posting and let us know what is up and if we can help.

BillBlueeyes-Isn't fun you can throw away food which you know isn't that good. Sounds like a mindful choice that you didn't want to "waste" the cals on it. Enjoy that conscious choice to remain thin. that power to notice, decide and then throw away-nothing mindless here. How quickly you were satisated with a small portion-then focus on the protein. Hurray!!

I have had a good day-ate on plan, have to remain patient as my weight goes down every so slowly. A bit of salt in the soup seems to put 3/4 of lb back on. Hold the faith and I'll under 300 by the end of April. In someways I feel I have crossed over to letting go of mindless indulgence and truly understanding that food can not take away my unhappiness-that takes other skills than overeating. Sometimes I'll still try some high cal treat and when I check in I can know that while fun to taste, it provided no long lasting emotional change and what a shame to delay my weight loss!

A hello to all of our busy Beckers-
sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 02-02-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #8  

Hello there coaches/friends,
Bill-great work on throwing away foccacia bread! And resisting all the free stuff...

Cherryautumn: So nice to have a diet coach so available to you. This group can supplement that too-we are all doing the same program-who else can relate as well?

Mesmerize: Welcome to the group!

kuljeanie: Great list of advantages! I like all of them but especially: I’m able to focus my time and energy on all kinds of issues that have nothing to do with food, weight or body size.

wendylan: That IS definitely progress. I envy you that the exercise part is coming easily to you.

Sue: I am having a hard time being patient with weight loss too. I went into it solid that I would take is SLOWLy since this is forever but it is easy to fall into that pattern of wanting it to come off quickly.

Happy weekend to everyone. I look forward to making a few more dishes to have in the fridge (kudos to me ahead of time..), exercising twice during the weekend and resting some more-still exhausted (realized that I get up during the night if I hear what I think is Henry breathing funny or has to go out to pee or something). He is getting MUCH better but I am still watching him like a hawk in case he begins to fail again.

Til tomorrow, Heidi

ps waving to maryblu!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Mezster (mezmerize)

Mezster (mezmerize)

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you never got your proper one of these (gulp, 3 1/2 years ago!!!),

Do you prefer to be called Mezster, Mez, or ???

Looking forward to getting to know you, also.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Only 1 hyping day left till the Super Bowl

Diet Coaches - Today I need to do some serious walking; I've made choices this week that have cut back - all good choices, but I didn't make additional choices to get the walking done. I do admire all the Beckies here who are making choices in their lives that prioritize exercise and the whole process of healthy eating: planning, shopping, cooking, and preparing.

We'll have dinner tonight with an old friend visiting from out west. I'm just feeling really happy that I'm thinking about different neat restaurants and I have a calm sense that I'll eat on plan at any of them. Before my journey I'd think about LARGE portions and stuffing myself; during my early journey I'd worry about how I was going to handle it; right this moment, I'm looking forward to some special food - not worried about over doing it. For this one moment, I'm experiencing the relationship with food that I really want for the rest of my life. Not thinking that I've achieved this as a new state, but as a moment. It sure feels good.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Seems like one really big step: "I feel I have crossed over to letting go of mindless indulgence." Way to go!!! I'm with you on betting on the two hundreds by the end of April. Does 3FC have a neato name for the two hundreds like they have for Onederland?

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Happy cooking weekend! Good news that Henry is getting MUCH better! Hope you get to a rested state.

wendy (wendylan) - Kudos for January on track, for stocking up on healthy food, and exercising. And BIG kudos for being able to see what you're doing with the sweets and remembering the Beck steps for responding to that. "Is that progress?" Yes, I think that's progress, BIG time.

CherryAutumn - Kudos for eating slowly and mindfully. I was kinda shocked when I found out that my fork was always headed to my mouth before it was empty.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Neat that you wrote your Advantages Response Card in present tense and as positive statements. I, too, really like: I’m able to focus my time and energy on all kinds of issues that have nothing to do with food, weight or body size.

Mez (mezmerize) - Glad that you've joined us. When you get to the first Program-day will you share some of your Advantages Response Card with us?

Readers - "I now know … I can do it! I have the skills now. I know how to do it, and I’ll have these skills forever." Beck, pg 13.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Hi everybody.

I got my book yesterday. So now I can get officially started.

So far I have the following for my Advantage card:

1. Get in shape for great backpacking next summer.
2. Reduce abdominal fat to lower my risk for type 2 diabetes.
3. Feel better---more alert and energetic.
4. Stop putting off buying clothes until "I have lost weight".

Have a great weekend.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #12  

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Coastalsue
Old 02-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #13  

All I wrote didn't past for some odd reason so here I go again. Finger Crossed

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Coastalsue – I also lose weight at a turtle’s speed and at times when other would zoom past me. (At least that is how it seemed) I get a bit down but I just go over my plan I know what I was doing was right and the weight did come off! I guess my body is just over protective of my fat cells.

BillBlueEyes – LOL @ the gulp 3 ˝ years ago! I don’t recall if they had that smiley at the time I joined. Thanks that was very nice. As far as being called a certain name that’s up to you...if you don’t feel like typing just call me Mez. The nick Mezster came from a wonderful 3FC person that taught me never to give up and I will find my way. (lessofsarahtolove) I see you’ve maintained for 10 months WTG!! That is to me is very motivational. I will be very happy to share my Advantages Response Card with you.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #14  

Day 7 - Arrange Your Enviroment - Well i think it went well. I proceded to find all the foods that trigger over eating and put them up in a cupboard or pushed them to the back. I am short so this makes them difficult for me to get at them.

kuhljeanie - i enjoyed reading your list of advantages.

mezmerize - Cant wait to read your advantage response cards
Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Happy Ground Hog's Day, fellow Beckies!

Hello to all, and welcome to the new Beckies. We are growing again. I am impressed to see how quickly everyone is jumping in, getting the Beck wisdom, and freely posting.

I have been gone a cuppla days. ...and for some reason, my last post didn't get posted. I said I'd be awol for a bit.

Took my Dear Aunt to get a pacemaker installed...only in Minnesoda.......gotta love it........the admitter at the hospital asked her what her religion was, and she said, "Lutheran"...only in Minnesoda...lol...

I really am so impressed with what has been going on, I have to go back and re-read. Speed reading just is an injustice.

Closed Thread