Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #107

G'day all,

The starting of a new thread is not exactly a 'user friendly' excercise, it always takes me a bit to jolt my memory where to start.

In answer to my spray tan...no I did not stand naked to have this done, just a towel. The beautician I went to is Peta's sponsor and is a lovely person so I was very comfortable getting this tan.
It looked great but it does not last that long, as your skin sheds so does the tan

Glenda I hope your surgery went well, I missed coming here a few days so unfortunately did not heed your request to stop emails

I, of course, have forgotten what was said on the previous thread

Stay happy and well all

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Glenda: by now you are in your recovery day, and I hope all is well. If you feel the way my DH did you will be amazed at the difference it makes in your vision, the brightness of colors, etc.

Karen- I get some of your emails back also. Are you no longer using the Adelphia address? I seem to remember something about that

Off to the dermatologist this a.m. We both have some places that need to be checked and probably zapped. It is not a pleasant experience, but better than the alternative. That is the price we pay for the Florida sunshine, I guess.

See you all later. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #3  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

good Afternoon Ladies
Glenda Hope you are startint to feel better My DH is starting to get cataracts so I should probably make an appointment to have them checked they were not bad enough to require surgery yet The Dr wants to keep an eye on them
Well I must be doing something right I am down 2 lbs this and my Dh has decided he wants to lose some weight so that helps me keep motivated

Hope every one else is well Take care Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 AM   #4  

G'day all,

Well done Suz, wish I could report the same results

Ann I don't know if I should say this but Alan and I have both been pretty lucky and have had no need to visit a dermatologist. We are now very aware of the damage the sun does but that has not always been the case and many of our peers regularly have skin cancers brnt off.

I am disappointed I have had to put my bike riding on hold until my physio gives the OK.

We had the grand children yesterday, as we usually do on a Wednesday. We decided to take them out to a tourist area about 1 1/2 hours drive. We had a lovely time and the kids really enjoyed themselves. We caught the horse tram that runs from the mainland to a small penquin island. The kids just loved the horses.

I had a meeting with the people from the Australian Cranio Facial Foundation, it was very interesting and whilst I still feel a bit nervous about doing the website, I also feel quite excited.

Hope everyone is happy and well

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Red face

Hi all: We are back to some warmer weather again. i just really like the warmth.

we just had a short visit from DH brother and SIL. It is inspirational in a way, since the brother is not well at all and he has had strokes and other problems so that his walking and ability to get out of a chair is very limited. the inspiration comes from SIL who is such a strong care giver. She drove all the way from Utica, N.Y to here. He has to have a wheel chair much of the time as walking with just the walker seems much to difficult for him. He is diabetic, and she has to give him insulin every day, as well as check his blood sugar, and blood pressure.
She is nurse, as well as wife. I just have to give her so much credit, since she just doesn't show all the frustration she must feel at times, when he wants to give up. If all goes well they will be in So. Florida for 2 months and we do hope to go down and spend a few days with them in their apartment.

I expect that this will be the last winter coming to Florida. i know she is concerned about the prognosis for the future. He is soon to be 81 in April.
she makes me count my blessings for sure.

Maria: I'm sure you will do a wonderful job with the up and coming web site. You do such nice work. Your time with the kids sounds like fun.

Suz. Congrats on the weight loss. I am afraid to get on the scales next time, since with the family here about the only comfort for brother is food, so we went out to eat a couple of times. Good for your DH wanting to lose a bit. It is so much easier to have that sort of support.

Guess we are having our own little thread here. Where is everyone else?

Time now for bed. Ann
Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #6  
suz
suz

Afternoon Ladies
Well it started to snow here this morning about 6:30 and its now about 2:00 and its still coming down we probably have about 6 inches and it is supposed to snow well into the evening It is so nice to be able to watch it snow and not have to worry about driving in it My DH is out shovelling for the second time today

We have been in to town 2 times to get a bifold door for our closet in our bedroom and we can not seem to find any so I phoned and the place we tried first is getting some in on monday

Maria I am sure you will do a great job on the website

Take care Ladies and have a great weekend Suz
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #7  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi all

Suz, I can't believe you are getting another walloping from Mother Nature. I checked out the news channel and saw what is going on your way. We almost had a storm on Tue, it passed us by, but gave us some really cold weather with high wind chill factors. All is forgiven, it has "warmed" up (I use that term loosely).
Sorry I have not been participating in the challenge as I had promised. I am doing my regular workout and trying to eat right, but not a lb. has budged. I am reading a book now and have come to the metabolism chapter so maybe I will learn why I can't seem to drop a pound.
I guess I shouldn't complain too much after reading what Ann's BIL is going through. Sally's friend has become her husbands nurse since his stroke. It must be so hard to be the caregiver after so many years of having a partner in life.
Maria I hope you continue to catch the little spots of skin cancer before they take hold. What damage we did to our skin when we were young. I am always afraid to sit in the sun now. I take vitamin D because I know I don't get enough from the sunshine.
I had been working out on the eliptical machine, and now think I didn't do my knees any favor. They have been bothering me more than usual. It is hard on our bodies sometime, we have to find the right thing to do.
Karen I too have been getting back the e-mail I send you. What's up?
Well, back to my housework... I took a break with a cup of tea.
Take care all...
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Ladies, I have made it through this week. And it sounds like some of you are having worse weather than we have had. I just don't get along with this cold weather well. This morning it was 13 degrees and last night it snowed a lot. Today it should have melted somewhat.

Having one eye okay and the other not is just a bit of a challenge at work. I am wearing some reading glasses because my arms aren't long enough, but at home I can read close up. I will be happy to get this all done, but colors are so bright now and so fuzzy and yellow with the other eye. Wow, but this age thing is fun, isn't it? But again, Ann, you made me realize how blessed we all are when you were talking about husband's relatives.

Maria, know you will do great on the website. I am very jealous of you taking the kids out and enjoying the day. Tomorrow is Makenzie's 5th birthday party. Going to a kid place that I love too. It is inside and has huge slides and places where kids can crawl through and jump. It is hard to believe she is 5 already. Will get to see Colton who is 2 1/2 months now. His mama said he is now smiling. Maria, I think the spray tan is the only way I will ever look or feel slim. This metabolism thing is tough to beat. If only my thryoid would speed up a bit.

I suppose we will be by ourselves for the Super Bowl. What a big deal! Only like the commercials.

Peggy, keep washing those hands. Here at work we have so many cases of the bad flu. Nobody wants that.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Ann that is inspirational having a sister in law like that. Don't know if I could be that patient and I hope I will never put that test.
I am a bit like you Ann and not too keen to get on the scales Suz is doing a great job for all of usdespite the 6 inches of snow wow, that seems a good reason to have some lovely warming casseroles!

Nice to 'see' you Trudy, it is such a pain when you are into the groove of doing some excercise and then some part of your body just doesn't want to cooperate anymore

Glenda
'happy birthday' to Mackenzie I am sure the party will be great. Your eyes sound like they will be just great when they both 'match' How strange to now realise how bright colours are, like a whole new world opening up.

I have started doing some research and doing some mock websites to replace the Craniofacial one, I will post links for you to view in time to come and hopefully get some honest feedback.
I have bought a new keyboard, I am sick of the cordless ones always needing batteries replaced.

My spraytan is just about worn off, I might do it again if I have a special function to go to, it beats being out in the sun.

It is a beautiful day here again but no rain. Haven't had rain for almost a month now, not even a bit of a sprinkle.
Peta and David have to go to a wedding tonight and Peta wants to have a 'BIG' night so Matilda and Poppy will stay the night with me.
The wedding ceremony is held on the beach near my place, I might walk down with the kids, I am sure Matilda would love to see the bride.

Have a good weekend all....

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #10  
Web Nana

Hi All!
Not much to report from MA...although I just saw the eye dr. for a 1 yr followup on the retina tear and it seems all is well for another year. He did mention that I have Cataracts in both eyes but they are very small and I don't need to worry about them for a while. I will remember how wonderful your surgery came out Glenda, when my time comes. The other eye dr. said that my glaucoma is still down and to keep on with the drops. Actually I guess I did have something to report. Getting new glasses next week with a stronger distance prescription...maybe I can see road signs again. LOL

Glenda, again, that was wonderful news about your eyes and when they match you will be feeling 'mahvalous'!

Sally: You must be in Texas by now and I hope you enjoy it as much as you did Maui. Your trip home was another thing altogether. Hope your feeling better.

Trudy: Knees can be a big pain. DH's knees are really bothering him and now I am having the same kind of trouble. Stairs are really hard let alone trying to exercise.

Peggy: Your last post was on another page and now I can't remember what you said except that the kids at school like the salads....that's a good thing.

Ann: Your sil is an exception to the usual rule...she is comfortable with the care of her husband and can do it well. More power to her!

Karen: I have also had a couple of your emails returned but I think it is that we have two different addresses for you. Maybe you can let us know the correct one.
Suz: Keep up the good work. You are going to beat us all.

Maria: I have no doubt you will do a splendid job on the web site. You seem to have that magic touch. Hope you have a wonderful overnight with the girls. I am sure they will love seeing the bride.

We are not doing anything special for the 'Super Bowl' except keeping our fingers crossed for the Patriots. With all this hype I hope they can concentrate and just play a good game.

Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: DH is watching the super bowl and I am playing with the computer. I am not a foot ball fan at all. Never have been. As a matter of fact, I am going to bed early. I was up at 5:40 this a.m. to get ready to be in church by 7:30 for our early service. Since I am singing now, we have to be there to have sound checks and all. So I am getting sleepy. a bit early.

we to have had very little rain. I keep having to water my flowers. we finally made a decision about out grapefruit tree in the back lawn. It was so big, and the trees on the property behind us were shading it so much that it was growing toward the house. We considered just having it pruned, but since we are not eating them anymore, and we are only passing out all the fruit to anyone who wants it, it seemed smarter just to cut it down. So we had a fellow come in and do it. the yard looks so different now. There are so many others in the park who have grapefruit, that if we really wanted some, another year, we could easily get some. Now comes the job of filling in with grass sod. Always something.

My challenge part is not going so well. I have started walking again, and of course go to Curves 3x a week. But as you all say, the older you get the harder it is to lose, and I guess the metabolism just slows down. And I don't have thyroid to blame. It is just me.

Off to bed now. Go Patriots. Ann
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #12  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi..

Ann I think it would be great to go into my backyard and pick a fresh grapefruit. It must taste wonderful. How come you aren't eating them anymore? My DH can't because he takes Lipitor, but I eat quite a few of them. Right now the stores have Texas Red.
Gloria Didn't realize you had Glaucoma. How long have you been treated for it? I go every 6 months for pressure tests, so far I am at the high end of the safe zone. There is a lady in my aerobic class who has had Glaucoma since she was 25 and is legally blind. She has had several surgeries that give her some sight, there always seems to be some new treatment.
Maria Did you have fun with your little girls? How is the web site research coming along? You do keep yourself busy.
Glenda How did Mackenzie's birthday party go? I'll bet the kids had a great time. How can our girls be 5 already?

According to my book, the way to speed up the metabolism is to do strength training, build lean muscle and it will burn more calories, resulting in weight loss and a smaller dress size. Aerobic's are fine for cardiovascular health, but does little for the metabolism. Nothing but WORK, WORK, WORK! Why can't there be an easier way?

It is so damp out today, We are above 0, cloudy, snowy, damp and miserable. My knees are so sore, and I think it is because of the weather.

Bye for now..
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #13  
Fun Blonde

I have an appointment tomorrow with my optomalogist who will prescribe what will happen with the other eye the next week. I don't know if I just don't feel well today or not, but I am having a bit of dizziness and it might be because of the one-eye thing. I will be glad to start doing some strength training as soon as I can lift over 20 pounds. Just want this to end, but end good.

It sounds like everyone is busy. My Ann, to think you get up that early on Sunday is just unbelievable. What would your park do without you. How big was your grapefruit tree. My, that sounds so exotic to me!

And Maria, just living that near a beach sounds so wonderful too. I bet your girls had a good time the other night. Makenzie had a fun party. They gave her a microphone and she thanked everyone for coming to " my most wonderful paaaaaarty!" We took care of her and Jackson while her mom and dad did some shopping for her after the party. Her real birthday was Monday and she had another special day then, of course.

Yesterday our air conditioning in the building was off and it was 70 degrees outside, higher inside. And of course, I was dressed warmly. Today it is cold and raining outside and the heat is on. How did we ever live without air conditioning, but this Oklahoma weather is totally opposite the day before!

Trudy, hope your knees quit hurting. There is nothing like an ache that just will not quit. Suze, hope you are staying warm. I guess there are record snowfalls up yourway.
Glenda
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #14  
suz
suz

Morning Ladies
well to start my weight stayed the same and it looks like I will be getting some of my exercise by shovelling snow We are getting hit agian with about another 6 inches

the bedroom closet is fianlly done in our room it took 4 trips into town to get the last door we needed Now onto the next bedroom redo closetspaint entire room rip up old rug put down new flooring and then put together new bed and that room will be done Looks like this romm will keep us busy for about the next 2 weeks thats if all the materials are available when we need them

Hope everyone is doing well Suz
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Guys, where are you all? I want to "talk." Leon is puny and at home in bed. He is sick with a cold and I am sick of the noises that emit from his body. Yuck! But I feel sorry for him. There are so many people right now that are gone from work and so sick. It is a time where we all feel we are living in germs.

I have been walking about 60 minutes on a treadmill 4 times a week. I can't lift more than 20 pounds until this eye stuff is over with.

Well, no news. Just February!

Suze, your bedroom sounds like it will be beautiful and totally redone. Good for you. I have been so bored in the evening with TV and have even been watching American Idol. Sure is a mean show.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 02-07-2008 at 10:50 AM.