South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Default Taco Soup - Maybe P1?

Hi everyone! My friend is on Weight Watchers and was eating this AMAZING smelling Taco Soup recipe at lunch. So I took it and altered it to SB! I think I did a pretty good job, but use your own judgment. SO YUMMY!

1-3 Cups water (depending on how thick you want it)
16 oz. canned tomato sauce - no sugar added
1 large onion
1 green pepper
1 can cannellini beans (kidney beans have added sugar )
1 can black beans
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet taco seasoning mix
Olive oil
garlic

Brown the ground beef/turkey, onion and pepper in large pan with a little olive oil and garlic. In a large pot, combine the gr beef and veggies with the rest of the ingredients. Stir. If you like it soupier, use more water, if you like it thicker, use less.

Simmer for 30 minutes and enjoy!!

I used a chipotle taco seasoning mix which made it a little spicy and it was so yummy! Make sure you look for a taco seasoning mix with no added sugar. I found one with less than 1 g so I figured I was ok.
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Mmm, Sounds good!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Just a little tidbit of info--cannellini beans are the same thing as white kidney beans, just another name for it. Not all kidney beans have added sugar--I bought some dark red, light red, and white kidney beans for a recipe last week, none of which had added sugar
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

I did see that the cannellini beans were white kidney beans, but they had no sugar like their counterparts. All the other red, dark, light etc. I picked up at the store had 3 or more grams of sugar - yipes! I guess you could technically use any kind of bean you wanted. It stinks that all stores don't carry the same things. I hear people talk about items which I have never seen or heard of!
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Did you check the ingredients, not just the nutritional info? Red kidney beans do have some naturally occurring sugar. Also, if there IS added and you want to use that type of bean anyway, draining and rinsing the beans would help to eliminate a lot of the sugar. That's what I do when I can't find a canned product I want with no salt added--dump in a strainer and rinse, rinse, rinse!

I made a pasta e fagioli (Olive Garden copycat recipe--minus the pasta) that was very similar to the recipe you posted here, but yours sounds yummier, so I think I'll try yours next time instead
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yum, I had some taco soup earlier this week that I based on Weezle's refried bean soup, and threw in some leftover taco meat. This one sounds good too. Thanks for the recipe. I have a hard time finding beans without sugar, and end up having to read the labels every time I go. One day I'll write down which ones are okay. But it's hard because some brands put sugar in some types but not others, so Hanover Kidneys may be okay, but not Hanover chick peas, and Safeway may put sugar in their chick peas, but not their kidneys, etc. When I can't find one that's okay, I buy the organic ones, because they usually don't have sugar. Or I cook them myself.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote