Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #1  

Default Soup Recipes to Share???

Thanks again for the great lunch ideas. I have some ideas to try now, but on to my next request. So many of you mentioned soup as a great alternative and I'd prefer to make my own as I don't use any salt when I cook, so I can control the sodium if I make it at home.

Would you all be willing to share your soup recipes? I'm looking forward to some yummy options!

Thanks!
Goal Success
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love this one!

Spinach Chickpea Leek Soup

This is SO good and so fast and easy to make - makes plenty for several days. Great to make on a Sunday and eat all week.

1 tbs olive oil
2 leeks, sliced thinly (circles)
1 zuchini, chopped
minced garlic (I use tons)
2 14 oz cans tomatoes
small can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 3/4 cup veg broth
1 14 oz can chickpeas (gabanzo beans) drained
block of frozen spinach (thawed, drained)
1 tbs oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
fresh parm cheese for topping

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add leeks and zucchini and cook briskly for 5 minutes.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable broth, chickpeas and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Shred the spinach finely, add to the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season to taste. (the longer it cooks on the stove, the better it is). Remove the bay leaf, sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if desired).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, I made that one last winter Glory and it was good!

Don't know if any of you ever read Cook's Illustrated. It's a totally over-the-top test kitchen type of cookbook/magazine, but for some perverse reason I love reading it. I picked up this month's and it's all soups! Some sound good, others, eh. But it's fun - if you're twisted like me - to read about the lengths they go to for just the right taste and richness, yada yada. They do have some good tips and review of implements and ingredients too.

But hey, my favorite soups - like Baffled said on the lunch thread - are just put together from stuff I have at home. Usually some sort of veggie or tomato base, with added vegetables, beans/rice/pasta, and seasonings to taste.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I made this soup this week with Bob's Red Mill 13 bean soup mix, it was delish....

Quote:
13 Bean Soup Mix Recipe

This is a basic soup recipe using our 13 Bean Soup Mix.

Ingredients:
2 cups 13-Bean Soup Mix
1 Ham Hock ( I didn't add this )
1 cup Onion, chopped
1- 15 oz can Tomato Sauce or 1 qt Tomatoes ( I added a can of sauce AND a large can of plum tomatoes)
1 1/2 tsp to 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Garlic Cloves or 2 tsp Garlic Powder

Wash and soak 2 cups 13 Bean Soup Mix overnight. (I washed them but I didn't soak over night I just simmered till the beans were tender, saved a LOT of time... I didn't drain the water either I just added the cans of tomatoes) In the morning, drain and rinse beans. In a large pot, bring 2 1/2 quarts water to boil with beans and ham hock. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Add 1 cup chopped onion, one 15 oz. can of tomato sauce (or tomatoes), chili powder, and garlic. Simmer 30 minutes. Makes about 8 servings.

For an interesting variation try using our Bean Soup Seasoning Mix~ we do all of the spice mixing for you!

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
One serving contains Calories 200, Calories from Fat 20, Total Fat 2.5g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 300mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g, Dietary Fiber 10g, Sugars 5g, and Protein 13g.
http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/detail.php?rid=1090

Last edited by Ilene; 02-01-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote