Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Crafty Chicks!

I looked around and couldn't find any clubs for us crafters out there. Scrapbooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing, wood working, the possibilities for sub-clubs is endless!! This is just an idea, if anyone else agrees, please let me know! I'm sure if enough of us are into it we could make it happen!

Personally, I'm an avid knitter/crocheter. It would be interesting to have a place to share patterns and styles and short cuts. Secrets, ideas, and tips. Books of patterns we enjoy and laughing at our past mistakes. I love to crochet, but I find knitting easier and I can find patterns I like more in the knitting as opposed to crocheting.

Anyone else out there big into crafting? What is it that you do?
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #2  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I am a crafter. Was into beading. Not so much anymore as no space in my apt. I do paper crafts, florals, wire crafts, wood burning, cross stitch, latch hook, wreathes etc. Crafts are great to keep you out of the kitchen!
flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool. I make costumes for people in theater and for Halloween for extra money, but my main love is sewing weird junk for myself and friends. I recently started making plush toys and I mess around with Fimo clay. My relatives with pets all got Christmas ornaments of their dogs made out of Fimo with their presents this year. ^_^

When I have breaks from college I help my mom with her quilting too, she quilts more than anybody, I swear.
Quote:
Crafts are great to keep you out of the kitchen!
Ha, yes, that too. Keeps the hands busy!
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

I am a knitter too! Can't eat much with two sticks in your hand! (unless they are chopsticks) I would love to be a crafty chick. I do a lot of felting too, purses mostly.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #5  

Flower: Wow, you do wire crafting? What sort of things do you make with that? It sounds really interesting.

Amy: I would love to sew costumes, that must be so much fun! And rewarding! Tons of people get to see your work on stage! What sort of stuffed animals do you make? I've always wanted to start making stuffed animals with sewing, but never really had the guts (or ideas/patterns) to try it. I've made some stuffed animals with knitting patterns, but that's the most I've done. And I love those pet ornaments idea. What a personal and sweet touch to a Christmas gift. That's very creative. I've never heard of Fimo, what is it exactly?

Missingmyerica: I want to get into felting, but I'm sort of intimidated by the thought. I mean, I don't know where to start and I have a feeling I'll mess it up. And there's no going back once you felt...and I'll feel like I've wasted so much time if I knit something and then felt it only to mess it up. Any ideas/suggestions/tips? Did you read a particular book or online article?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 AM   #6  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I used to have a pink shed. I also had a garage so I converted it to my craft room. That is when I could craft, I never had to put things completely away. Just shut the door. It was heaven. Now, a 3 bedroom apt for 6 people, nah, it sucks.

I make wind chimes, mobiles, jewelry, baskets w/ wire. I haven't done much of that lately but I just need the spark to hit me and I will start up again. I would love to learn how to crochet it. I think that is awesome!~

I have a sewing machine. I am sad to inform you that alll I know how to do on it is hem. lol I am sure I could do more, but I am not even sure where to start.
flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #7  

I like to do scrapbooking and i did some very simple knitting once. We live in a two bedroom house that we converted into 3 bedroom using the large laundry room so we really don't have space for my crafts. I also like to sketch and draw when i have the time.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #8  

Post to our bio thread! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125796

Flower: That garage would have been heaven for me; I could make as much of a mess as I'd want and then just close the door and POOF! No mess. Oh well. I'm blessed enough to have a hobby room (no children yet to use the bedrooms we have), but I do have to clean it when people come over. But I do occasionally leave it a bit messy. As far as learning to crochet, I'd recommend the "Crocheting for Dummies" book. It starts off simple and basically explains everything in great detail. I don't know if it comes with a DVD or anything, but some of those Dummies books do. I too own a sewing machine; a nice one. But I just find it hard to get really get into many projects because I'm not very good at using it. I do use those "iron hem" strips though! lol, just apply heat with an iron and you're done! It's like sewing for the lazy. Have you ever sold any of your wire crafts, or do you mainly use them for household use and gifts? I'm interested in eventually getting a table at a craft fair and I'm looking for people who have done it in the past for suggestions.

CherryAutumn: I use to scrapbook, but I stunk at it! I would think I did a good job, and then see the picture in the magazine of what the page is suppose to look like...and mine is all deformed. It wasn't a pretty site, let me tell you. What do you sketch and draw? Real life? Landscapes? I use to be big into drawing real life. But then life happened and I haven't had the time to sit down and just draw anymore.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I'm a crafter as well!

I crochet and knit although I find crocheting to much easier for me then knitting. In fact, I had to learn to knit continental style because I'm already used to holding the yarn in my left hand.

I've been thinking about getting into jewelry making at some point as well. Anyone do that? Any tips?

leanmoomercows~ I haven't gone into the realm of felting yet either. Mainly because I have so many other projects I want to do first. Maybe you should try felting a few swatches? That you don't feel like you wasted too much time if it doesn't work out and you can see how much it shrinks. I've heard 25% shrinkage is normal, but I imagine it'd vary depending on the yarn.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Amy: I would love to sew costumes, that must be so much fun! And rewarding! Tons of people get to see your work on stage! What sort of stuffed animals do you make? I've always wanted to start making stuffed animals with sewing, but never really had the guts (or ideas/patterns) to try it. I've made some stuffed animals with knitting patterns, but that's the most I've done. And I love those pet ornaments idea. What a personal and sweet touch to a Christmas gift. That's very creative. I've never heard of Fimo, what is it exactly?
Yeah, costumes are a lot of fun.

Right now, I'm trying stuffed rabbits. I have a bunch of pink and blue plush material but haven't got it quite right yet. Eventually I want to make something similar to my dog (for my mom's birthday, if it turns out right), but I'm not at that stage yet. ^_^ I did buy some black and white fur plush though.

Fimo=polymer clay that you bake in the oven. They just started making a softer version which is easier to work with, I used to have trouble with the stuff in colder months, you can knead it and knead it and it never gets soft. ^_^
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I do a bunch of crafts. Scrapbooking, cardmaking, candlemaking, cross stitching, ceramic painting, sewing, & other random kinds of things. I took pictures of my craft room here:
/vertigo-skyy.livejournal.com/236055.html

I want to learn to crochet and knit.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #12  

I have done some real life but mostly i like to just do some line art that is modern looking but still looks like what it is supposed to be.

As far as scrapbooking mine don't look how they are in the magazines but i still enjoy it and i still can tell myself they look good. I have one for each of my two kids but it is hard to stay caught up
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #13  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

hello everyone, I am a crafter (and baker and cake decorator). I scrapbook---my first love. I have so much to do but it's hard because things are kind of expensive, especially when you don't have the money for it. I can do some cross stitich but haven't done it in awhile. I'm always wanting to learn new crafts. I love doing crafts.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #14  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Eek! I love crafting! I pour candles, scrapbook, make jewelry, play with Sculpey, play with melt and pour soap, arrange flowers, sew things, paint ceramics... hmmm... what else have a dabbled in... think... think... think...
I sometimes go to the craft store just to wander around - it's like therapy for me!! Lol! I used to sketch... and I have a couple of Doodle Art posters I hope to one day finish...
(I have TOO many hobbies!!)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #15  

Zenor77 : I agree that crocheting is easier; unfortunately I've always found that most styles that I like as far as patterns are usually knitting patterns. Thanks for the suggestion about felting; that's a great idea. I might try that small swatch idea. Maybe I can sew all the small swatches together and create some kind of purse or something when I'm done testing!? It could be some kind of...felt afghan-looking purse or something. It'll become all the rage!

Amy: I love rabbits, oh what a cute idea! You should post pictures of your creations when you're done with them, I bet they're adorable! I'm just afraid to get into the realm of stuffed animals, it seems like there's so much to them as far as detail. But I'm sure I could maybe find a simple pattern that doesn't have much detail and work my way up. Does it really matter what kind of fabric you use to make them? Would anything work...like even fleece?

VertigoSky: Look at all that space! Wow! I'm lucky enough to have a hobby room as well, but I share it with my fiance, where he has his computer and accessories. So I'm not as spread out as you. And I definitely do NOT have as much room as you do. You must use that all the time! I would! I love to cross-stitch too! And if you would really love to learn to knit & crochet, I'd recommend Knitting for Dummies & Crocheting for Dummies. They're great books for teaching yourself. Or you can go to your local yarn shop (some place that's not a Michael's or AC Moore or Jo Ann's Fabrics...they're too commercial) and join a knitting/crocheting club or "circle". Lots of women show up and it's the best way to learn. If you get caught up on a pattern and don't understand how to work the yarn, they will help you so much! The best part is, most of the older women know great "tricks" that newer books don't explain. And it can make your whole experience much easier! Just an idea. And I've always wanted to learn hot to make candles, but I really have no idea how to go about it.

Cherry Autumn:
That's what got me with the scrapbooking...catching up. I would have 3 or 4 big events in a short period of time and then I'll end up with a million pages to do! And it got to be too much to keep up with. So, now I just keep the "My Pictures" section of my computer very well organized. Presto! Instant scrapbook! hahaha

Tkglenn: Ohhh! I'm sooo jealous! I've always wanted to do cake decorating! Sometimes when I'm in a creative mood, I'll go buy the ingredients for a cake and the toppings, but it usually comes out all messed up. I wish I could take a class or something, I've seen some beautiful cakes that I wish I could make. And I agree; I think scrapbooking is very expensive. I think lots of crafts are, but I think scrapbooking is one of the crafts with the most over priced pieces.

Scraver:
I use to go to the craft store and just walk around aimlessly too! I'd look around and try to get new ideas for crafts I'd never heard of but wanted to try. I was never brave enough to try...but I love looking as well. You seem to do so many crafts, how do you make time!? Do you have a devoted craft room for all this craziness!?