South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

Default coffee creamers??

I am a big coffee drinker and I have questions about creamers. I drink 2- 16oz cups of reg coffee in the morning and 2- 16oz decaf. at night. Unfortunately, I need my coffee to be light and sweet. I have always used splenda and CoffeeMate FF hazelnut creamer (4g sugar). I really need to know if this is ok for me to use. I know we can use FF half and half even though it does contain corn surup. (2gr sugar)
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I use skim milk in mine...I drink a LOT of coffee with chicory and need that milk in it!
4gr of sugar is way too much. Splenda makes a hazelnut sweetener that is good...try that and some skim milk. (they also have other flavors) you can also get other SF sweeteners in bottles that have flavors (like they have at coffee shops like starbucks etc). I got a caramel one the other day (monin o'free brand) from a coffee shop that is really good and a gingerbread one from starbucks during the holidays. They both sold me a "fifth" of the syrup.

Last edited by femmecreole; 01-30-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sadly, ADAgirl, there aren't any coffee "creamers" that are SBD-safe, at least none that I know of. Even if you get past the crazy amounts of sugar (and it's usually the horrifying high fructose corn syrup ), they almost always have tons of trans fat (look for the word "hydrogenated" in the ingredients). Obviously, in a tiny serving, you're not getting much of either, but those tiny servings add up (and boy do they add up! ) over time and are just plain unhealthy for you, even if you weren't on SBD. Sorry...I think that kind of ended up sounding like a lecture! I didn't mean that to happen...jumping off of my soapbox now...

I'm the same as you when it comes to coffee! I use what's there, depending on what has the least saturated fat. I usually use 1% milk at home or the Fat Free Half n Half (which doesn't have the best ingredients either...). In restaurants, I'll use regular half n half sometimes, but if I can get it, I go for the 2% or skim milk. I read an article that said that dark coffee tastes dramatically different (and more pleasant!) after it reacts with the fats in cream. I love dark coffee, so I usually go for something with some fat--skim isn't that pleasant for me.

When I'm at home or at a fancy coffee place, I use/ask for flavored syrup (Dunkin Donuts flavors are sugar free and yummmm-mmy!). In other places, you can carry the flavored Splenda (comes in four flavors, I think?). Hope that helps!

Last edited by beachgal; 01-30-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #4  
Enjoying The Beach!!

S/C/G: 131.5/114

Height: 5'4"

I use either FF half & half or plain silk (soy) creamer in my coffee. I've mostly been drinking tea lately - I don't mind that black, with some lemon.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #5  

DARN!!.... coffee with skim milk just really takes the joy out of coffee for me! I have tried to get used to it in the past and it just tastes like watered down coffee to me. I will really miss that treat!! I do love the dark coffees. Well ladies, thank you so much for setting me straight. I kept thinking that this was a no no, but it seemed like such a small thing . Thank you beachgal for getting on your soapbox and setting me straight. I love that you all are going through some of the same things and can relate!! I have had my last cup of coffee with coffeemate. I am going to treat myself to a couple of those yummy sf surups though.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Adagirl, I'm with you on the coffee...it has to be rich and strong for me. I use CDM coffee with chicory and it is still VERY rich even with skim milk added. If you start with a really good coffee, then it won't taste like brown water when you add the skim milk. I promise...I am VERY picky about my coffee.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #7  

Please don't get grossed out at this suggestion, but...
what about using some fat free condensed milk? The nutritional info looks like it might be ok for the SB diet.
Serving Size 2 Tbsp Amount Per Serving Calories 25 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value* Total Fat 0g
0% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 40mg 2% Potassium 110mg 3% Total Carb.4g 1% Sugars 4g
Protein 2g 5%
Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #8  

Opps I just noticed that 2TBS had 4 g of sugar. Sorry. But maybe it is from the natural sugars in the milk. Hmmm.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #9  

Oh Cat, I just loved the coffee (and of course the Beignets) at Cafe' Du Monde!!! I have been to New Orleans three times and I started my days there every time!! I would have never thought of that. Of course, in Michigan, that is not a coffee we would find in the markets around here. Thanks for the link. I am going to order some.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #10  

TnTechGirl,
Don't laugh, but that is the first thing I tought of too! I was so desperate that I actually even considered FF plain Yogurt. Ok, only for a minute. What we won't do to get our own way!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/258/165

Height: 5' 8"

I found sugar free creamer, works pretty good... And the syrups they use at the coffee stands, alot of grocery stores carry sugar free varieties. What I do is take 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ff milk and heat it up for a minute or so and then pour in the coffee, and add the creamer. If I'm using the syrup, I might use a little more milk. Anyway, it's great and sugar free =)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #12  

I have been using sugarfree creamer, too, even though it does have some HFCS in it. (Why are we avoiding that, again? I know it's bad...just because it's sugar or is there something more ominous?) I tried to give it up, even bought the DaVinci to try to replace it but it just isn't the same. Will keep trying to quit it, but so far, I haven't been able to! My bad!!!!

It just seems like whenever I try to replace something with something healthier, I end up getting something else I don't want (FF yogurt? extra sugar. SF products? artificial sweeteners. Sigh.)

Last edited by bellaluna; 02-07-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

We ran out of creamer (on purpose) to avoid all those bad thing. I had coffee this morning with skim milk-ick, it did taste like brown water, and I forgot to heat it up so it was cold, too!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Hey Femme!
CDM fan here!!!! My husband got me hooked and there is just no going back! I just use 1% milk and splenda; wasn't great at first but I've gotten used to it.
Think I might have to go make a few cups.....sadly,no beignets ( I did make them for the first time a few months ago while on vacation-they are yummy with the coffee!!)
Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #15  
I'm not fat I'm fluffy!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

HI All,
I was really glad to see this thread because i drink ALOT of coffee, and was confused about creamers. I checked out a lot of flavored creamers and I found one that I thought looked good. PLEASE let me know what you think. Because it taste great I figured it had to be bad.....I sit here with skim milk in one hand and creamer in the other awaiting your input.
------------------------------------------------
International Delights SF French Vanilla
Serv. Size 1 tbsp
Cal. 20 Fat Cal. 15
Total Fat 2g-3%
Sat. Fat. 1g-5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbs 1g- 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g