Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #1  

Height: 5 feet 11 inches

Default should i get a personal trainer?

so i'm debating weather or not i should get a personal trainer they have them on campus for 12 sessions at 150 dollars..i mean yea thats cheap but please be aware i'm on a collge student budgent ...so to me it's a little up there...anyways the reason i dont know weather i wanna get one is because i'll only be able to go twice a way due to my schedule this semester and that the trainer is actually as student here at the school...well i think a graduate student but still a student ..so i'm not sure...if they will actually be trying to help me of just get the money..what do you guys think. i currently dont go to the gym i just walk alot
sugarcoatit07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

Height: 5'4

I would check out refs see if they have helped others, plus its up 2 you if you don't have the money then do it on your own, I am in the same boat on a very limit budget, I can't afford a trainer I would love to be able 2 go 2 one, they will help you get jump start plus if your anything like me I could be doing much better then I am but I need that kick in the butt 2 get me going, lol
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Wow.. well it's up to you but I'm also a college student and I would definitely pay that and I would MAKE the time in order to make all those sessions since I consider my health top priority. I price checked a gym membership in my area then an add on package of 6 50 minute sessions was almost $300 dollars. I've also tried to find other independent personal trainers not through a gym and the prices are still high so I consider that a very good deal.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #4  

yea i guess...your right...i know it's something i need to do...and i really dont have any time i take day and night classes..but i think i'm gonna pay for like 8 and then if its going well i'll just continue..thanks guys
Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #5  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Height: 5'5"

Well, it seems to me that it would be a waste of money if you only have time to go to the gym twice a week. You really do need to find time to exercise. Exercise a big componant in weight loss. I have seen people bring their studies to the gym and put their books on the tread mills and elipticals and study while the work out. Where there is a will there is a way. But, for a personal trainer, you are going to spend a lot of money on something that you really can't commit to right now.
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #6  

i think i'm gonna just buy me some cardio dvds so i can get in some extra cardio and i bought some weights so thats just gonna have to do it for now plus the walking i do on campus...i mean at least i can do those anytime weather if it's a night and get out late or not.. thanks everybody for the in put
Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I think you should definitely take the deal with the trainer, specially if he has good references... THAT is a great price. I also think starting at going only twice/week is better than not doing any weight training at all. Weight training will build muscles and in turn muscles burn calories more at rest, and we all like that idea don't we ... Also, look at your schedule carefully, there must be ONE other time during the week that you could go to the gym, I definitely think you should make the time for weights. Just make sure the guy has good references...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 AM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree with Ilene. That is a fabulous deal on personal training and you should take it while you can. I have a personal trainer and I consider him to be the number one factor in my success (and I've gone from a size 14 to a size 2-4). My trainer is also a student (undergraduate even), but he's been athletic his whole life and is studying kinesiology (which is what you study when you want to be a professional trainer), so the fact that your trainer is a student doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't be good trainer. My trainer loves his job and is great at it. Check the trainer's references and see if he has any certifications to do personal training.

I also don't think two times a week is necessarily a problem. When I first started with my trainer, I only went three times a week. That's it, I did no other exercise and did not change my eating habits and I still saw results. And the sessions were really motivating. So motivating that I started to exercise on my own and began modifying my eating habits.

12 sessions for $150! That's only $12.50 per session. I pay $60 per session. You aren't going to get a deal like that once you are out of college; you should take it while you can.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I go to the family Y and they have an "Activate America" plan where you can get 10 sessions for $120. And you can choose to use those 10 sessions any time you want. That's what i'm going to do with some of my income tax money. Get a trainer for 5 weeks, 2 times a week. I really just need someone to really get me started on weightlifting so i can start to see some results before summer gets here. If need be...i may just have to buy another 10 sessions if things are going well enough. I think a trainer is a very good thing to have...to either keep you motivated or just to plain out teach you what you need to do to reach your goals.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

What a DEAL! I agree with Ilene and Barbara. Do it while you can! That's a wonderful price, I don't see anything wrong with it being a student, as long as they know what they are doing.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #11  
is what I speak

S/C/G: 179/174.4/150

Height: 5'3"

i agree with everyone else. that's a great deal, i pay almost that much each month for 4 sessions a month.

again... like everyone else said... check references... you could end up with a guy my gym hired on the spot.. came to find out he was a convicted murderer... scary (oh yeah he was fired two days later, and the guy who hired him as well w/o checking his background)

Last edited by dahonesttruth; 01-30-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot a sentence
dahonesttruth is offline   Reply With Quote