Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Body Shape to determine diet?

On another thread, someone mentioned that she has an apple shape and therefore tries to reduce carbs.

Is there any type of evidence to support these issues? I really can't decide what shape I am. I know I'm not a pear. I think I'm more of an orange which might be an apple.

I'm not doubting what she said.

I'm perplexed.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I think whatever healthy way of eating an individual can stick to (regardless of body shape) is the way to go. If you're an apple shape and reducing carbs makes you miserable and you stop dieting and give up what difference does your body shape make?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm a firm believer in eating an overall healthy diet, full of veggies, fruits, and low fat proteins, regardless of your shape. And of course keeping a watch, a strong watch on your calories. I do believe that is the bottom line.

We all need to figure out, through trial and error what works best for ourselves. I DO eat carbs, but mostly the ones found in veggies and fruits. Eating the breads, rice and pasta doesn't work for ME, because I tend to overeat them and they bring on cravings for me. Chances are if I could consume the same amount of calories eating the breads and pastas and such I most likely would have still lost my weight. But I truly believe had I included those items in my diet, that it would have led to a disaster.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Personally if I eat too many carbs I gain weight in the stomach, I am an apple. When I cut the carbs on the South Beach diet I lose in my stomach almost immediately as I am now. In addition carbs don't seem to agree with me, they make me tired. Everyone has a different "ratio" of protein, carbs and fats that works for them, that makes them feel their best. If you want to lose weight faster the low carb diets do tend to work but then you have to watch what you add back in carefully so you don't gain it back like I did.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I was always apple shaped, but ate plenty of carbs...whole grain ones, mostly, not white carbs and sugars, but plenty of carbs nonetheless! Didn't slow me down any.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

This is very interesting. Thank you for your responses. I have the menopausal middle. It's been difficult getting that to go down. I tried low carb but I'm one of those people who, while I lost weight, my dr panicked when she saw my bloodwork numbers. She told me to stop it.

Wonder if it would have a better result now that I've lost some weight.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm an apple shape, i think. I know that i am carrying alot of my weight in my belly right now. I don't know much about the shape diet things. I know i don't eat alot of bread because i LOVE breads so much. But i do eat carbs, of some sort i know. And i've lost 62 pounds so far. I think it's more about trigger foods. I love breads so i have to stay away from breads as much as possible. I think i have to just agree with the old "calories in, calories out" method. Sorry...wish i knew more.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

There are 3 basic metabolic types - different people process food in different ways. I stole the below from about.com

Protein types -- Protein types are fast oxidizers of parasympathetic dominant. They tend to be frequently hungry, crave fatty, salty foods, fail with low-calorie diets, and tend towards fatigue, anxiety, and nervousness. They are often lethargic or feel "wired", "on edge", with superficial energy while being tired underneath.

Carbo types -- Carbo types are slow oxidizers or sympathetic dominant. They generally have relatively weak appetites, a high tolerance for sweets, problems with weight management, "type A" personalities, and are often dependent on caffeine.

Mixed types -- Mixed types are neither fast or slow oxidizers, and are neither parasympathetic or sympathetic dominant. They generally have average appetites, cravings for sweets and starchy foods, relatively little trouble with weight control, and tend towards fatigue, anxiety, and nervousness.

I happen to be a mixed type...most people are. That's where I got the protien/carb/fat ratios of 30/40/30 (% of caloreis) that I use. There is a pretty compehensive test for what type you are in Jillian Michaels' books Winning by Losing and Making the Cut.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

The metabolic types don't really have anything to do with the body types. it's more about how you process food than where it goes.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks again! I think I'm a mixed type except for the part about "relatively little trouble with weight control".

Geez, this journey has been mind boggling.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have read (and of course can never find these articles when I want to refer to them) there is some evidence that processed and white sugars (NOT all carbs) are stored as fat in the abdominal area, resulting in an apple shape. But that doesn't mean that an apple shape should reduce all carbs, some carbs are good, like those found in fruits, veggies, and whole grain products. But I've read that a diet low in process sugars and white carbs (refined sugar, white flour, etc.) could help reduce abdominal fat.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

They say those with apple shapes are the ones who stress out the most, cortisol - so watch your stress too. I just watched the pbs movie by Dr. Rosen. (whatever his name is) with the best selling book YOU on a DIET. Ugh... gross. He showed what belly fat looks like and went on and on about how dangerous it is to have it, and to especially be the apple type - as far as higher blood pressure, risk of heart disease, etc. He doesn't stress low carb dieting at all but a balanced diet, with some - and only whole wheat carbs, plus lots of veggies. I just ordered his book through the library as I want to read more on his ideas. He seems to have a lot of common sense. Low carb diets appear to be "out" because they aren't balanced. I've been on the South Beach again but I can tell I'm moodier, I think we need some "happy" carbs.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

mare, I had the menopausal middle too. I never had a traditional apple shape until I hit menopause - then every single lb. seemed to go to my mid-section. I am a calorie-counting vegetarian who loves pasta, rice, breads. I make only whole-grain varieties, and try to balance by carbs/protein/fat at 40/30/30.

Since losing 50+ lbs., I am back to my pre-menopause body shape.
For me eating clean and keeping my calories in line - along with moderate exercise, has been the way to go.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote