Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Spaghetti Squash

Im so happy that I found one!!! Now does anyone know an easy way to cook it? I rather use the oven than microwave.

Last edited by CountryGirl18; 01-29-2008 at 01:36 PM.
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

LoL, they're super easy.

1) Stick it in the microwave for 3-5 minutes, pull it out and let it cool slightly. Then chop it in half.

2) Scrape out all the seeds.

3) Depending on which diet you're using, you'll add different liquids. I'm on Atkins, so I use butter or EVOO. If you're on low-fat/cal use apple, orange or pomegranate juice. Just a tablespoon per side will do you.

4) Wrap in aluminum foil

5) Bake cut side up @ 400F for 30-45 minutes.

6) Take out, let cool, scrape down the sides and mix it up.

You can either serve it with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese, or you can mix in little fruity veggie things. I like to use petite frozen peas or pomegranate seeds.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, this was a great "find" for me. I never even knew about it or cared to know about it before my lifestyle change.

I cook it in the oven though, sorry. I cut it in 1/2. Scoop out the seeds, lay it in a baking pan, skin side up, with a bit of water, cover it and bake at 375 -400 for an hour or so, til it's soft. YUMMY.

I very often serve it with sauteed onions, portabello mushroom slices, chicken breast strips and some marinara sauce. Who needs pasta when you've got this stuff?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #4  
Im a work in progress!!

Thank you ladies!!
Im thinking maybe boiling might be better for me since I always burn things in the oven and never know when its done.
If I boil it, do I still pierce it first?? Or do I cut it first?

Im so excited to eat this!!

Last edited by CountryGirl18; 01-29-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

I'm not too sure about boiling it. You really can't burn this, unless of course you leave it in the oven for ages. If you overcook it, it'll just get softer.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I like to eat mine with I Can't Believe its Not Butter spray and parm. cheese. Good stuff!! Enjoy
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I would definitely recommend the oven or the microwave since boiling leeches the nutrients out of vegetables. I usually do the microwave since I'm too lazy to cook anything in the oven for as long as it calls for (and I've always had to cook it for WAY more than 40 minutes in the oven when I've tried or else it's still a bit crunchy).

I just pierce the skin with a fork, pop the whole thing in the microwave for about 5 minutes, then cut in half (microwaving it first makes it easier to cut).

Then I scoop out the seeds and pop both halves back in the microwave, skin side down, and nuke it till it's soft (maybe 15 minutes).

I've read online that you should place the halves face down in about an inch of water, but that's too much work for me, so I have never bothered, and it's never affected the outcome.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I use a steamer - I chop it into maybe 8 pieces first and toss the seeds? Then just steam until it's soft. It should scoop right out of the skin.

I like it with butter spray and maple syrup.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #9  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

I love (no LOVE) pasta. Does spaghetti squash really taste like pasta when mixed with sauce and cheese? I hate whole wheat pasta--managed to learn to love brown rice, but can't find a whole wheat pasta I like. This could definitely be an alternative!
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #10  
Im a work in progress!!

I ate most of it, so yes its GOOD!! I bought some spaghetti sauce, roasted some garlic in olive oil. And I am full!!
Its a pretty good swap for the real thing and much much better than those asian noodles!!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I've read online that you should place the halves face down in about an inch of water, but that's too much work for me, so I have never bothered, and it's never affected the outcome.
I tried that...then I burned the bottom, lol. That's why I switched to face up and wrapping. The skin usually gets a little burned, but the squash never does...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #12  
Shrink Spot Shrink!

S/C/G: 324/324/215

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl18 View Post
I ate most of it, so yes its GOOD!! I bought some spaghetti sauce, roasted some garlic in olive oil. And I am full!!
Its a pretty good swap for the real thing and much much better than those asian noodles!!
Alright! I'll be giving it a try soon!
See Spot Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

are you guys talking using the squash instead of pasta sauce with spagetti? I"m a little confused, it sounds like you guys are just talking about difft ways to use squash. Forgive me though....its been a loooooong day...lol
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I wish I liked the stuff - it tastes and feels absolutely vile to me LOL

I'll have to stick with my serving of w.w. pasta
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Born to fly - it's called SPAGHETTI squash. When it's done cooking, you scrape out the flesh and it kinda comes out in long strands - like spaghetti.

See Spot Shrink, I wouldn't call it identical to pasta. The consistiency is not the same and it's pretty bland and DOES need lots of spices to make it taste yummy. I use tons of fresh garlic and onions and pepper and some marinara and I find it to be an excellent substitute for pasta. EXCELLENT.

And I too find that 40 minutes is way to short to cook it. You want it nice and soft.