Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #1  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Question Breast cancer walks and the like..

Lately I've been thinking about signing up for a 5K to work up to, and I've also been seeing these Breast Cancer 3 Day (60 mile) walk commercials.. They look really interesting and I'd love to sign up, but..

Oftentimes when I look on the websites, they require sponsorships and raising a lot of money.. That's fine, but where do people get the money? I don't have a large social group, and no one in my family (thank God) has any fatal disease or anything they are motivated to sponsor.. (my mom will sometimes send in like $5 bucks or something to charities as they come up, but we don't have any big spenders and I feel guilty about buying sneakers or a $4 container of shrimp)

So how to people go about raising the thousands of dollars necessary? I'd like to join but I just can't figure out how people raise the money unless they're ultra connected or surrounded by the rich and generous.
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #2  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Some of my friends post blogs or go into their groups on myspace and ask for donations.

I'd love to do the Breast Cancer 3 Day, but its in Sept, and I dont think we'll be living here then.

Good luck if you do it.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-28-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #3  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I generally e-mail every single person I know and ask them for $5. I've found that most people can find a spare $5, and if you get enough people, it adds up.

However, I generally hate these because I feel really guilty asking people for money, even if it's for a good cause.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I mailed letters to everyone I knew...and I mean EVERYONE, but I was doing one of the cheaper fundraiser requirements, I would have never made it on friends/coworkers alone if I had been doing team-in-training or the like. The not-so-surprising, but somewhat disappointing thing was my poorer friends contributed far more than my wealthier friends

I know people who have held charity garage sales...instead of asking friends to donate $$ they had them donate all the stuff they have been meaning to garage sale or take to goodwill etc.

Raffles - going around to businesses and asking them to donate stuff and then holding a raffle. Be creative. You can add prizes like housecleaning or errand running to the mix.

Several people have done a fund raiser at our local pizza shop. They pick a block of time and provide some extra volunteer waitstaff and then X% of the proceeds go to the fundraiser.

The long and short of it is...it takes a good bit of effort to raise the money for some of the events.

Last edited by ennay; 01-28-2008 at 09:55 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #5  
Started again Aug 21, 09

S/C/G: 237/204/165

Height: 5'9"

I've done the Dallas 3day twice and the fundraising is definitely more challenging to me than the walking. But it can be done - you never know what someone will give you until you ask. Get creative. I had a car wash at Hooters (seemed fitting) the first time I did it. They were thrilled to help out and I had friends that were in a band that donated their time.

Plus most companies offer matching gifts and since ultimately they are making a donation to Susan G Komen Foundation it generally qualifies.

And by all means, if you do sign up, TRAIN!!! 20-23 miles a day is tough no matter how in shape you are!

You can do it!
tinabinab is offline   Reply With Quote