Old 01-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #1  
Gotta keep motivated!!!

S/C/G: 234/228/160

Height: 5'6

Question Tips for a struggling newbie!

Hello Ladies! I started LAWL back in Dec and got off to a 4lb start, then Christmas hit and I fell off the wagon. Been back on since the first of the year, but I still am only down 6lbs total. And everytime I go in all I do is flucuate. This is frustrating to me because I am soooooooo ready to get going with this weight loss.

That being said...is there any tips that you pros can give a new girl??? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
lawlchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/150.6/<130

Height: 5'5"

LAWL did not work for me either. The only thing I lost was a lot of money. First on that drink, meat and veg. for 2 days i lost 6 lbs then first whole week gained a pound and then the 2nd whole week gained another and was following it religously and exercising too. i was so disgusted. I have been following a hypoglycemic diet (plus i count calories and carbs and fats) since jan. first and have lost 10 pounds. I haven't got cravings like when on LAWL. their bars and drinks and things have lots of sugars in them. this is just my opinion based on my own experience..what do i know lol. dont give up and keep trying. good luck w/your goals.
flatbustedintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #3  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

First off

Are you keeping a diary? If so, are you measuring?
That extra ounce here and there add up. Little cheats count up over time, trust me. It can be as simple as adding on just a little extra olive oil.

Are you mixing things up?
A routine can be a killer, try something new. There's such a variety with fruits and veggies out there. Make an omlet for dinner, let yourself have beef.

Water, Water, Water
Are you getting in your full 8 glasses day. I'm totally being hypocritcal here, but it's all you should be drinking. The coffee and Diet Soda well it adds up, trust me, my body that is currently depudging is a testament to that. If you can't stomach it, go out and buy a reusuable 32oz bottle and a bunch of Crystal Lite to go packets. Half-strength Crystal Lite drunk through a straw goes down extrmely easily.

Eat Light for a few days
Try laying off the heavier starches, and the heavier proteins. Knock out the bread, knock out the cheese. It's tough but it works.

The scale doesn't tell it all
Plus you can be losing and not dropping pounds. When I was losing the scale stayed between 155 and 158 for 3 months. Yeah it sucked, but I went from a size 12 to a size 8 at the same time. So obviously I was losing fat, but gaining the muscle was worth it.

We've all been there and done that, trust us none of us oldtimes would still be around if it didn't work.

Last edited by marzbe; 01-27-2008 at 08:36 PM.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

I thought the line about "losing inches while staying the same weight" was BS. Until it happened to me. I lost 10# the first 2 months on LAWL. and for a month I sat a the same basic weight but in that time I went down a whole size! I had not noticed any size change with the 10# but after a month of basically maintaining I was certainly smaller. After each lose I have found that I needed to wait a while and let my body catch up with the scale. Muscle burns calories more efficiently and a higher rate.
lawlchic, give it time. It took ages to gain the weight it will take time to lose. You need to lose at a rate you can maintain. I really recommend cutting out sugar and processed flour. Eat lots of veggies, raw is best. Concentrate on how you feel. Learn to know when you are really hungry and when you are eating from boredom, stress or other trigger [TOM for me]. Remember you are in this for the long haul. You must relearn the way you eat, what you choose and how much you let yourself have. You are never going back, not if you want to keep what you won (lost really)
Stay posting on this site. You are surrounded by some of the biggest losers around!
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #5  
Gotta keep motivated!!!

Thank you so much ladies! You are a huge help. Having support is very important to me.

I really hope that LAWL works for me.

I do the water thing all day...but I also drink diet sodas. I can cut back on those...no problem. I am keeping my diary...but not weighing the food. I have not been exercising...but I already made up my mind that was next.

Anyway...thanks for the tips! You girls are GGRRRREAT!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #6  

Weighing your food is one of the most important parts....if you keep following the rules and weighing your foods, you'll start losing again. its a great plan and just like any weight loss plan, its difficult at times. Stay Strong!!
mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #7  
Katie

Height: 5'1

All wonderful advice. Also, stay positive and see yourself thin. If your mind is already there, your body will follow. Good luck!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #8  

since it is recommended to cut out sugar and processed flour, do you think it would be best to cut out the LA Lites and other bars that equal them? If so, should I add in and extra starch and protein during the day because moving up to the REd plan doesn't sound like fun.

Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #9  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlchic View Post
Thank you so much ladies! You are a huge help. Having support is very important to me.

I really hope that LAWL works for me.

I do the water thing all day...but I also drink diet sodas. I can cut back on those...no problem. I am keeping my diary...but not weighing the food. I have not been exercising...but I already made up my mind that was next.

Anyway...thanks for the tips! You girls are GGRRRREAT!
Definetely gotta cut the diet sodas way down.. Don't ask me to explain it medically, but I think it's largely a mental thing... Our body needs water, not sodas, so if we can get in that mindset, it's easy to do. I used to drink a ton of soda, but now I have a diet coke maybe twice or three times a week, max...

In order for this plan to work, you HAVE TO FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER.. Any variations in the beginning slow you down..

The reason that is, is because for so long, your body has gotten used to the crappy food you've been feeding it, so instead of processing out the bad stuff, it just add it to the weight.. Once you've gone through the program, your body will have gone through an adjustment that will allow it to get rid of the occassional, and I repeat, occassional junk food you might eat. It's a metabolism thing.

But if you only "mostly" stick to the plan in the beginning, you're not giving your body a chance to adjust. You can't let outside things like the holidays greatly influence your eating habits.. Yes, of course, it's to be expected that most people won't stick to the plan 100% during periods like that, but it's not an excuse to let it all go..

You have to be prepared mentally for the lifestyle change you are embarking on. If you aren't there mentally, you will not succeed, which is why it's so hard to start ANY kind of diet before the holidays..

You CAN do this if you really want to... This is a case where "want" is almost as important as "need"... Without both of those things, it ain't gonna work..

A couple of "on the ground" tips:

1. Little processed meats from the deli - If you must, search out low sodium alternatives like "Boar's Head Brand" roast beef and turkey..
2. No processed cheeses.
3. Cut WAY down on your salt intake.
4. Become a lable junky - Reading food lables at the store is WAY eyeopening.
5. Make sure you're getting enough fiber. Take suppliments or ask your COD for a list of fiber rich food.
6. Spice up the menu.. You can't live on Chicken salads. There are a multitude of ways to make your favorite recipies using healthy ingredients. Plus, there are ton of LAWL friendly recipies right here on this site.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Last edited by Dan2112; 01-28-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #10  
Purple (no lites)

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

lawlchic - You have definitely gotten some great advice here...and from people who have succeeded on LAWL...listen to them, I do.

Sodas are a weak spot for me too. I have been drinking only water during the day, then "treating" myself to a diet soda during dinner. It really hasn't been a very tough change to make.
pjbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #11  
Gold with Lites

S/C/G: 196/XXX/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, Dan. Just the motivation I needed today! Cindy
GrandmaCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #12  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

Dan,
By processed cheese do you mean string cheese as well?
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

I agree that you've gotten alot of good advice.

I loved soda but i dont like diet soda so cutting out sodas all together was what i did. I havent had soda at all since before new years and trust me once you go a few days without it, you wont miss it too much. My downfall is once i cheat once and have something i shouldnt it all goes downhill so i dont cheat.

It is tough but you have to make up your mind and be committed. If you dont give it 100% you will be disappointed and it will become easier and easier to cheat and fall off.

If you are having problems sticking to plan maybe you can write down somewhere the reasons you want to lose weight and whenever you have the urge to have something not on plan take a look at your list and hopefully it will help you to make the choice to be on plan.

You should definitely be weighing & measuring your foods. Also when you start exercising you will notice that you wont see a loss right away but stick with it & the inches will definitely come off.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #14  
Gotta keep motivated!!!

All the advice is wonderful!

I REALLY want this. I have been the fat girl all my life and I am ready to love myself.

I have a friend at work that is bringing me a scale tomorrow so I can start weighing all my food. I am going to try to quit drinking soda all together. I have done it before, it's not too bad.

But here is my question. Right now it is so easy for me to eat a turkey and cheese sandwich at lunch. But you say its bad to eat deli meat??? And processed cheese...is that like Kraft slices?? I don't cook so finding things to eat at work is hard. I am not a salt junkie at all, never add it to my food...is that what you mean by cut back on salt?

Anyway...thank you once again!

I CAN DO THIS!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #15  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

I love me a Tuna wrap. Make Tuna before you leave the house. I mix it with FF Ranch and a little hout sauce and then I put it in half a spinach tortilla. And then I put a few tomatoes and lettuce on it. Seriously it is sooo good and soo easy!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote