Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #1  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default On Crutches... sigh

After reading the jogging thread the other day I decided it was time to start running again. So, I laced up my running shoes and set off. About 2.5 miles into my run my left foot started to hurt very badly, I could barely make it home. After FOUR HOURS in the urgent care (grrrrr), I got a diagnosis: Plantar Fasciitis. My Dr. put me on crutches for the next week and told me to stop running until it's healed. His words "this isn't the kind of pain you want to work through, you need to stop exercising for at least a week." Poo.

On the bright side, I'm way psyched to be running again. I haven't done it in about 6 months and I was amazed that I could run 2.5 miles the first time back out. It's time to face the facts: I'm a runner at heart and I absolutely love it. Now to get healed up so I can be back at it again!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #2  

Height: 1.67m

I love running too!
So sorry to hear about your foot, is it something they can sort out?
Hope you can get back to your running soon
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh! I've had plantar fasciitis, and I can say that your doc is right--this definitely means rest. It also means getting good shoes! Mine was caused by wearing old shoes that didn't provide enough support. After I got new shoes, the problem cleared up. I did have to rest for awhile, and also I had to wear shoes from the moment I got up--no walking around barefoot--until the condition got better. It is not something that does well if you re-injure the area, so seriously--stay on those crutches.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I'm so sorry to hear about your foot! I had to stay off my foot back in early December, and it was a bummer. (All I could think about was how much I wanted to get back to walking >_<)

But, yes, listen to your doctor! It's more important right at this moment that your foot heal properly. Taking care of our aches & pains is part of overall health, afterall.

I wish you a speedy recovery so you can get back to that fun running you love!!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on discovering an old love! I am a former runner and I miss it, too. The threads about running have made me start thinking about starting to run again. I hope your foot heals quickly so you can get back to it.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-28-2008 at 07:37 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on the 2.5 miles, but sorry to hear about your injury
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #7  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Shucks--- that sucks that you found something you like and can't keep it up!!! But, hey, do some crunches or bicep curls, etc etc.... SOMETHING so that you're still moving!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on rediscovering running. Coincidentally, I actually started running again on Saturday. I haven't been doing it since it got so cold outside. I don't really like running inside on the track, but it's such a great calorie-burner. And I have to say - my legs got very sore from my 2-mile run. Not even close to your problem, though. I'm so sorry to hear about the foot problems, but it is nice that it won't keep you away from the track indefinitely. Can't wait to here about the marathon when you start your training!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Hehe Laurie, DH wants me to train with him for a marathon. I'm personally thinking a half is more within my ability range at this point. But, he's talking a year - 18 months from now, so we'll see. I can train a lot in a year. Maybe even enough to run a full Mary. DH and I both want to do the Bataan Death March Memorial marathon in White Sands, NM. It's held every March, so we'd have over a year to train for it. There's an option that I think DH wants to do where you march (run) a 15.2 mile course instead of 26.2, but you can carry a 50-80lb pack on your back as part of the memorial. They have veterans of the March there to be honored every year. Apparently it's rough, but very moving. Anyhow, I digress.

JayEll - Apparently my injury happened from running over some extremely uneven, rocky terrain and it bruised my tendon. I just got new (professionally fitted) running shoes not too long ago, but they definitely aren't trail running shoes. They're not meant to hold up to what I was running on. Now I know, I guess.

Thanks for the well wishes all, things are already feeling better today.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Sorry to hear this. I have foot problems too. Do what the doctor says. Maybe you can do some chair exercises and concentrate on upper body toning.

Take care.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sorry to hear about your foot!! But how awesome that you are running again!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Hehe Laurie, DH wants me to train with him for a marathon. I'm personally thinking a half is more within my ability range at this point. But, he's talking a year - 18 months from now, so we'll see. I can train a lot in a year. Maybe even enough to run a full Mary. DH and I both want to do the Bataan Death March Memorial marathon in White Sands, NM. It's held every March, so we'd have over a year to train for it. There's an option that I think DH wants to do where you march (run) a 15.2 mile course instead of 26.2, but you can carry a 50-80lb pack on your back as part of the memorial. They have veterans of the March there to be honored every year. Apparently it's rough, but very moving. Anyhow, I digress.
That's so exciting! Now that it's going to be spring in a few months, I think I might look for a tri to try. It's so great to be talking and thinking about these things instead of "I should really try to do something about this weight."
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

That sucks that you got it. But you found the bright side in it. I too think I may enjoy running. I'm on week 3 on the C25k trainking.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote