Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Who's The Turkey Here?

OK Gals ~ I take a sandwich...and soup...almost every day to work. My soup is usually Progresso or Campbell's Healthy Request...sometimes my own homemade. I usually have a sandwich of Hillshire Farms Deli Select lunchmeat of ham or turkey. My question is this ~ Is that considered "healthy" lunchmeat and also...what do you do for the meat for your turkey sandwiches...do you make an entire turkey or what?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Does it have additives? Is there dextrose, high fructose corn syrup or any other unnecessary additives?

If I were you, I'd look for a product that had only the turkey, water/broth and salt/seasonings.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

http://gomeat.com/sitecontent/lunchm...ed-turkey.aspx

Deli Select Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

INGREDIENTS:
Turkey Breast, Water, Modified Food Starch, 2% or less of: Turkey Flavor (Salt, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavoring), Salt, Dextrose, Carrageenan, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Nitrite.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

AWW come on SOUL....I am drowning in the rain here...as you well know...and then you "slap" me down with additives! At least it is 97% Fat Free

SOO then....where do you get your turkey from?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I get roast turkey breast from the deli section at the grocery. I suspect it has some additives, but not as much as luncheon meat. I'll also buy a turkey breast on sale and cook it and freeze part for later. Took one out today in fact. I'm more apt to make my own bean burritos for lunch. Low-carb tortillas, canned ff refried beans (is that an oxymoron or what??) and some avocado, lf sour cream and salsa. Fills me up - lots of protein and fiber.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

So PAT the meat they cut off the roll in the deli section is better than the same brand pre packaged lunch meat? And do you get the turkey breast in the meat section of the grocery where the chicken, etc is? I know it sounds silly that I don't know... but I do most of the grocery shopping around here and when we get turkey, we always get a whole turkey.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

Well, EZ, I am vegan so I don't eat the same things as most others, but if I were in the market for turkey, I'd look at Whole Foods or even CostCo for the natural and organic products. They don't have the additives and so on.

This rain really IS something! It is so odd for us in SoCa!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

There are some brands of deli meat that don't contain additives. I know that Boars Head and Dietz and Watson don't. Of course, these are the more expensive brands of deli meat. You should be able to ask at your deli counter. I know that around here, Stop and Shop carries Boars Head and Shaw's carries Dietz and Watson. Don't know what you have available in CA, but you should be able to ask at the counter.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thanks SOUL I'll check it out at Costco. Good news that the rain eased a bit...more for us on the way.

MODKITTN thanks...I have seen those brands at the produce market we shop at, I'll check it out!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 01-28-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I eat turkeysandwiches every day for lunch. I buy mine from my grocery store's prepared food section. They bake and marinate whole turkey breasts daily, and you can just have them slice it for you.

I personally would stay away from anything with preservatives/nitrates. That stuff can't be good for you. I'd look for something where the ingredients are more like: turkey, water, salt, and maybe some spices.

Also, even at the deli counter, you can see or ask to see the list of ingredients on those rolls of "meat".
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thanks TARA!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #12  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

You can also always roast your own turkey breast in the oven (you can buy a whole breast instead of a whole turkey) and have yummy turkey all week long I do that every once in a while! I usually don't eat deli meat but that is just personal preference. I don't like it that much - I'd rather eat soup or make something else for my meal or have turkey or chicken that is leftovers from what I made myself.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote