Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Default Need Help with Exercise Program

I have the Vectra double stack weight system...lifefitness eliptical and recumbant bike (which has been sitting here for over a year unused) and I've recently re-started Atkins 1/5/08. I don't want to "bulk up", however need to trim down. I am naturally muscular so I'm scared of this. I am a smoker. Currently, I'm just doing 10-14 min on the eliptical. Any suggestions for a newbee's beginning workout??? I'm sitting on the best equipment known to man and don't know what to do with it....help, please?????
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Bambi, it is pretty hard to bulk up, even if you are naturally muscular. If you balance weights with plenty of cardio and a calorie deficit, you should get smaller overall, rather than larger. You might be in trouble if you did only weights and didn't watch your diet, but with a balance of weights, cardio and diet you should be able to lose and become smaller.

You're not that big, so the first order of business is to start working towards longer cardio sessions. Perhaps increase 5 mins every day until you're doing 30 mins and then 45? I'm a (heavy) smoker too and it can be difficult, but you really can make massive improvements with your cardio fitness despite your lungs. I feel that I've gotten to the point now that my lungs stand between me and further fitness gains, but I've been exercising consistently 5-6 times a week for a year. It's all about pushing yourself.

We have a whole forum for weight training. Perhaps you should come and visit with us.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #3  
banned

Default Where can I find this weight training forum???

Thanks for your input...it's incouraging and I think you are right....cardio has always worked best for me...years ago, I used to live on the old "stairclimber"...whew!!! did not burn those calories...I got flat muscular abs, lean legs, rounded shoulders...people used to ask me all the time if I was an athlete/runner...and that's all I did...no pushups, situps...nothing. I'd like to join this weight training forum...I could use some help in figuring out a good program for my needs. Thanks again. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Bambi, it is pretty hard to bulk up, even if you are naturally muscular. If you balance weights with plenty of cardio and a calorie deficit, you should get smaller overall, rather than larger. You might be in trouble if you did only weights and didn't watch your diet, but with a balance of weights, cardio and diet you should be able to lose and become smaller.

You're not that big, so the first order of business is to start working towards longer cardio sessions. Perhaps increase 5 mins every day until you're doing 30 mins and then 45? I'm a (heavy) smoker too and it can be difficult, but you really can make massive improvements with your cardio fitness despite your lungs. I feel that I've gotten to the point now that my lungs stand between me and further fitness gains, but I've been exercising consistently 5-6 times a week for a year. It's all about pushing yourself.

We have a whole forum for weight training. Perhaps you should come and visit with us.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Here's a link to the Weight Training forum.

I second the vote that it's highly unlikely you will get too bulky. It just ain't in the genes.

I learned a LOT about weight training from Jillian Micheals' bokk Winning by Losing. You actually might be better off with her second book tho - Making the Cut. It's for people trying to lose the last 20 pounds.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #5  
banned

Default Thanks...

for the link...and also for the book advice. I'm going to google Jillian Michaels book Winning by Losing and Making the Cut. I'm a smoker...who physically is not in that bad of shape, but internally, my 8 yr old could outrun me! I don't just want to "look good", I want to "feel good"...so here it goes...I'll be posting on this new exercise forum...and finding new ways to shape my dehreah (not sure of spelling...but I mean rump!). Thanks again. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
Here's a link to the Weight Training forum.

I second the vote that it's highly unlikely you will get too bulky. It just ain't in the genes.

I learned a LOT about weight training from Jillian Micheals' bokk Winning by Losing. You actually might be better off with her second book tho - Making the Cut. It's for people trying to lose the last 20 pounds.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

For what it's worth, several of us in the WT forum are using the plans from "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". It (and the NRL for Men) are very good at explaining the principles behind the program and the programs themselves are tough and well thought-through. It's great.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote