Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Default Wk 3 and gained 2 lbs!!! Help!

It's wk 3 of atkins for me. My wkly weigh in is up 2 lbs!! I've been doing induction the whole time. Here's the skinny:

breakfast: 1/2 choc/pb atkins bar; 2 cups coffee
lunch: salad with chicken, blue cheese or leftover dinner, low-carb soup; diet soda - 2-3 cups
snack: 2 sugar free reese peanut butter cups or york peppermint pattie (sugar free) 16 oz diet soda, 8 oz water
dinner: mom's crazy cabbage, seafood bisque soup or other entree; 16 oz soda; 4 oz water.

For wk 4, my plan is to completely cut out soda and replace with herbal tea, crystal light, water...I'll see if this works. Also, I'm probably a day or two from my "special time of the month"...maybe it's water weight gain??? I certainly hope so.

I do feel thinner, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me...the scale doesn't lie...I don't care what people say..I've never known a size 6 woman to weigh 200lbs! Just so frustrated!!! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

Height: 5'4

How many calories are you getting in? You may not be getting enough and your body could be going into starvation mode. Looking at your menu doesn't look like it is enough calories, good luck
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

I think your snag is the Atkins bar and the peanut butter cups. They actually have sugar alcohol carbs that are probably stalling you. Cutting out the soda is a good idea (unless it is diet rite or diet coke spenda version) and add a lot more water. I try to stay away from quick packaged low carb products and cook my own veggies, soups and the like. Good Luck!
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/190/150

Height: 5'1

You might want to add more protein. It looks like you are eating low carb food but not enough protein.

For breakast you might have some type of egg, and protein.
Also, for snack you might want to add string cheese, and some type of protein. Add lots and lots of water, try and stay away from soda any kind.
WeightSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

the atkins bars, and the sugar free candy is what is doing it. Cut those out, and you should be fine. Id also cut out the soda if possible and drink 64oz of water a day.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Joyce,

Sorry to hear about your 2 lb weight gain. I know it can be very frustrating.

In looking over your menu, there are several factors here that could be causing you not to lose. Have you ever looked at the back of the label on 1 of those Atkins bars and been totally confused?? On the front label it says 2 net carbs....but....turn it over and it says 22 total carbs & 10 grams of fiber....that calculates to 12 net carbs doesn't it? So...how does Atkins Nutritionals conclude 2 net carbs you ask. Well....they claim there are 0 grams sugar alcohols in those bars....but....they are deducting for Glycerine...and...guess what Glycerine is....a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!! They also contain milk, soy & peanuts....none of which are on the acceptable foods list for Induction. So...that 1/2 of bar you are eating for breakfast, is really 6 net carbs. Coffee can be another culprit. According to Dr. Atkins it can provoke cravings & cause you to overeat. Diet soda's are another no-no, as most of them contain aspartame & other chemicals no one can pronounce.

I am not sure if you realize the carb counts on those sugar-free Reese's peanut butter cups or the peppermint patties. ONE (1) of those sugar-free peppermint patties contains 9.3 carbs!!! A serving (5 pieces) of the Reese's peanut butter cups has 24 carbs!!! Not to mention these products are heavily laden with sugar alcohols!

Joyce, you may want to re-read the chapter on Induction in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Eat ONLY the foods on the acceptable foods list. 12-15 of your 20 carbs per day should be coming from the acceptable vegetables & salad. You should be drinking at least eight (8) 8 oz. glasses per day of water. Snacks should be things like string cheese, hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad. Induction is about clean eating & unproccessed foods. Done correctly, it will break your addiction to sugar.

I agree with the others here....dump the Atkins bars, the sugar free candies , the diet soda. Decaf herbal tea's are fine. Crystal Light is another story...it contains Maltodextrin & aspartame...my advice would be to stay away from that as well.

I hope this helps!

All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #7  
banned

Thanks all for your suggestions. But I have a question about sugar alcohols as I sit here reading my nearest and dearest reese's & peppermint patty labels its reads: York Peppermint Patty (sugar free):"total carb = 28g; dietary fiber = 1 g; sugar alcohols = 26g" - that would leave 2g of carbs per 3 pieces. Reeses Peanut butter Cups (sugar free): "total carb 24g; dietary fiber = 5g; sugar alcohols = 17g" leaving 2g carbs per 5 pieces. On the bottom of the label it goes on to read: "Sugar Alcohols (Lactitol and Maltitol - sugarsubstitues) are slowly metabolized carbohydrates that generally cause only a small rise in blood glucose levels."

So what actually is wrong with sugar alcohols while on induction??? why about it slows/stalls weight loss progress. I feel like I need something...I have decided to cut out diet soda for a week...after that, I will try the splenda diet sodas but in more moderation. I know I need to drink a **** of alot more water...so I am going to increase that. To be honest, I think 8 glasses a day will take some time to work up since I hate the taste of water and to drink it, I must literally force myself. My coffee, I've already cut down to 2 cups a day...best I can do.

Breakfast is a challenge for me as I think I'm alergic to eggs...it happened to me when I turned 30 yrs old. Suddenly, whenever I eat eggs, I hurl chunks...seriously though...almost immediately...even the smell makes me nautious. Any alternative breakfast suggestions. I'm gonna do this...one way or the other. As I write this message sitting here bloated and severely PMSing...I am praying its the water retention from that.....signed confused and disgusted....but hanging in there, cuz I'm no quitter!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

you go girl, as far as the water I was the same way I would be lucky if I had 1 class a week now I drink about 64oz or more the only way I can drink it is if its ice cold, also you can try adding those flavor drink things 2 your water, they say only 2 have a few of those a day but that might help you get a few more servings of water in,

you just need 2 get in the mind set that you need 2 do this the water is going 2 help a lot w/your weight loss, good luck,
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions. But I have a question about sugar alcohols as I sit here reading my nearest and dearest reese's & peppermint patty labels its reads: York Peppermint Patty (sugar free):"total carb = 28g; dietary fiber = 1 g; sugar alcohols = 26g" - that would leave 2g of carbs per 3 pieces. Reeses Peanut butter Cups (sugar free): "total carb 24g; dietary fiber = 5g; sugar alcohols = 17g" leaving 2g carbs per 5 pieces. On the bottom of the label it goes on to read: "Sugar Alcohols (Lactitol and Maltitol - sugarsubstitues) are slowly metabolized carbohydrates that generally cause only a small rise in blood glucose levels."

So what actually is wrong with sugar alcohols while on induction??? why about it slows/stalls weight loss progress.
Trying to explain sugar alcohols and whether or not they should be deducted when figuring net carbs is a bit of a controversy.

For example, from the numbers you are quoting for the York Peppermint Patties & the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...sugar alcohols are being deducted. For example, the York Peppermint Paties have a total carb count of 28..there is 1 gram of fiber and 26 grams of sugar alcohols...that is how they arrive at 2 net carbs per 3 pieces. Whether or not you deduct sugar alcohols as part of net carbs, when its all said & done, depends on how sugar alcohols effect YOU personally. If they are causing you to gain, you might want to think twice about deducting them. In the case of the peppermint patties, that means the carb count minus the fiber would be 27 carbs for 3 pieces.

Leenie posted 2 excellent articles regarding sugar alcohols that you may want to read that explain it very well.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...07&postcount=6

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...01&postcount=4

You might also want to read these:

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ead.php?t=6768
http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ead.php?t=6780

I hope this will help you have a better understanding of sugar alcohols.

All the best to you!!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #10  
banned

Thanks Jerseygyrl for the links...I'm gonna check them out. So far, though...I am staying in Ketosis (I check everyday), so the sugar alcohols must not be the culprit. I have a sneaky suspicion that its my water intake and the fact that I'm PMSing. We'll see...my next weigh-in in next Saturday...I've already cut out the soda...I made it through my first day...YEAH!!!!, we'll see if that helps. Joyce
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Joyce,

I've been thinking about your dilema. Perhaps Atkins is too restrictive of a plan for you since you seem to want to hold on to your sugar-free treats. You might want to consider a plan like South Beach that permits some sugar-free products made with sugar alcohols, as well as diet soda (caffeinated, limited to 1-2 servings per day on Phase 1) and powdered drink mixes.

South Beach does not count calories or carbs but be aware that they do count so exercising portion control to acheive healthy weight loss is important. Your portion sizes are not limited unless otherwise indicated.

Foods to Enjoy

PROTEIN

BEEF Lean cuts, such as:

Eye of Round
Ground beef:· Extra Lean (96/4)· Lean (92/8)· Sirloin (90/10)
Pastrami, lean
Sirloin Steak
Tenderloin
Top Loin
Top Round

POULTRY, skinless

Cornish hen
Turkey bacon (2 slices per day)
Turkey sausage (low-fat, limit to once per week)
Turkey and chicken breast
SEAFOOD
All types of fish and shellfish

PORK

Boiled ham
Canadian bacon
Loin
Tenderloin
VEAL

Chop
Cutlet, leg
Top round
LAMB (Remove all visible fat)

Center Cut
Chop
Loin
LUNCHMEAT
Fat-free or low-fat only

MEAT SUBSTITUTES (SOY BASED)

Bacon - Limit to 2 slices per day
Burger - < 6 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Chicken Patties & Nuggets - < 6 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Hot Dogs - < 6 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Sausage Patties - Limit 1 patty per day
Seiten
Soy Crumbles - 1/4 cup (2 oz) suggested serving
Soy Nuts - 1/4 cup for a protein snack is suggested serving
Tempeh 1/4 cup suggested serving
Tofu All varieties, 1/2 cup suggested serving
Yuba (Bean Curd or Sheet)

CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR LOW-FAT)

American
Cheddar
Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
Cream cheese substitute, dairy-free
Feta
Mozzarella
Parmesan
Provolone
Ricotta
String
Swiss
EGGS
The use of whole eggs is not limited unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Use egg whites and egg substitute as desired.

MILK/DAIRY
(2 -3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)

Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (less than 2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per serving)
1% or fat-free buttermilk
Fat-free plain yogurt

BEANS/LEGUMES
(Start with 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving)

Adzuki Beans
Black Beans
Black-eyed peas
Broad Beans
Butter Beans
Cannelloni Beans
Chickpeas or Garbanzo
Great Northern Beans
Italian Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Lima Beans
Navy Beans
Pigeon Peas
Pinto Beans
Soy Beans
Split Peas
White Beans

VEGETABLES
(May use fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar)

Artichokes
Asparagus
Broccoli
Bok Choy
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Capers
Cauliflower
Celery
Chayote
Chipotle
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Fennel
Green Beans
Hearts of palm
Jicama
Kale
Leeks
Lettuce (All varieties)
Mushrooms (All varieties)
Mustard Greens
Nopales
Okra
Onions
Parsley
Peppers (All varieties)
Pickles - Dill or artificially sweetened
Radicchio
Radishes (All varieties)
Rhubarb
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Sea Vegetables
Snow peas
Spinach
Sprouts
Squash, Spaghetti
Squash, Summer· Yellow· Zucchini
Swiss Chard
Tomato
Tomato Juice
Turnip Greens
Vegetable Juice Cocktail
Water Chestnuts
Watercress
Wax Beans
Zucchini

NUTS AND SEEDS
(Limit to one serving per day as specified)

Almonds - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Brazil Nuts - 4
Cashews - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Flax Seed - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Macadamia - 8 (Dry roasted recommended)
Peanut Butter, Natural = 2 TBS
Peanuts, 20 small (May use dry roasted or boiled)
Pecans - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Pine Nuts (Pignolia) - 1 ounce
Pistachios - 30 (Dry roasted recommended)
Pumpkin Seeds - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Sesame Seeds - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Sunflower Seeds - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Walnuts - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)

FATS/OILS
The following monounsaturated oils are recommended to be consumed daily:

Oil, canola
Oil, olive
Other Oil Choices that may be chosen (Polyunsaturated or a blend of Monounsaturated):
Corn
Enova
Grapeseed
Peanut
Safflower
Sesame
Soybean
Sunflower

Other Fat Choices:

Avocado - 1/3 whole = 1 TBS oil
Guacamole - 1/2 cup = 1 TBS oil
Margarine - Chose those that do not contain Trans Fatty Acids such as Fleischmann's Premium Olive Oil or Smart Balance
Mayonnaise - Regular or Low Fat
Olives (Green or Ripe) 15 = 1/2 TBS
Salad Dressing - Use those < 3 gms sugar per serving

SPICES AND SEASONINGS

All spices that contain no added sugar
Broth
Espresso powder
Extracts (almond, vanilla, or others)
Horseradish sauce
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Pepper (black, cayenne, red, white)
Salsa (check labels for added sugar)

Use the following toppings and sauces sparingly (check labels for added sugar and MSG)

Hot Sauce
Miso - 1/2 TBS
Shoyu - 1/2 TBS
Soy Sauce - 1/2 TBS
Steak Sauce - 1/2 TBS
Tamari
Worcestershire Sauce - 1 TBS
Whipped Topping (Light) - 2 TBS

SWEET TREATS
(Limit to 75 calories per day)

Candies, hard, sugar-free
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Cocoa powder, baking type
Fudgsicles, no sugar added
Gelatin, sugar-free
Gum, sugar-free
Popsicles, sugar-free

Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES

Acesulfame K
Fructose (needs to be counted as Sweet Treats, Caloric Limit)
Nutrasweet (Equal)
Saccharin (Sweet & Low)
Sucralose (Splenda)
Whey Low

BEVERAGES

Decaf Coffee and Tea
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free sodas and drinks
Herbal teas (peppermint, chamomile, etc.)
Milk (1% or fat-free) and soymilk (low-fat plain). See MILK/DAIRY.
Sugar-free powdered drink mixes
Vegetable Juice
Note: caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added are allowed, but limited to 1 - 2 servings per day.

Foods to Avoid
BEEF

Brisket
Liver
Jerky
Prime rib
Other fatty cuts
Rib steaks

POULTRY

Chicken, wings and legs
Duck
Goose
Poultry products, processed
Turkey, dark meat (including wings and thighs)

PORK

Honey-baked ham
Pork rinds

VEAL

Breast

CHEESE

Brie
Edam
Nonreduced fat

VEGETABLES

Beets
Carrots
Corn
Green peas
Potatoes, white
Potatoes, sweet
Pumpkin
Winter squash
Yams

FRUIT
Avoid all fruits and fruit juices in Phase 1, including:

Apples
Apricots
Berries
Cantaloupe
Grapefruit
Peaches
Pears

STARCHES AND CARBS
Avoid all starchy food in Phase 1, including:

Bread, all types
Cereal
Croutons, all types
Matzo
Oatmeal
Rice, all types
Pasta, all types
Pastry and baked goods, all types

MILK/DAIRY

Ice cream
Milk, whole

MISCELLANEOUS
No regular ketchup or cocktail sauce
No pork rinds - too high in saturated fat
No jerky - too high in sugar content

BEVERAGES
Alcohol of any kind, including beer and wine

You might want to give this plan some thought.

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-27-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #12  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I would say depends on the atkins bar you are eating. The ones that I often eat are the atkins advantage caramel variety and those don't have any sugar alcohols. They are 8 carb minus the fiber so if you have 1/2 that would be 4. The advantage morning/peanut butter crip ones are also 8 carbs with only one gram of sugar alcohol.

I do agree about your other snack, those sugar free treats are full of sugar alcohol.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #13  
banned

Thanks again Jerseygyrl - I've thought about the Southbeach diet, but when I really looked at the diet restrictions...I found that Atkins would be easier to follow. Without sounding like "I've gotta have it all" (although I wish), I hate fat-free products (which by the way are usually loaded with sugar for taste), I LOVE FAT!, and I loath portions...hey...I've got a hearty appetite. So, Atkins is best for me...I've done it several times in the past...The first time, I followed it by the book...lost 30 lbs in 3 months...just like that...bamm! size 6; the second time, I did add the atkins bar (choco/peanut bar) for breakfast, and in 3 months...bam...size 8; neither time did I exercise at all, but I looked as if I did, because of all the muscle that does lay beyond the fat.

This time, I want it to be different. I really want it to become a lifestyle balance of eating things that I enjoy (thereby making easy to stick with) and regular exercise for the inner and outer me.

Okay...okay...okay...you've finally got me...I've stopped the morning Atkins bar for 2 days now..and started having leftover dinner for breakfast (since I can't eat eggs)...but I will have 1-2 pieces of peppermint patty per day and an occasional sugar free ice cream bar that has 5 net carbs but only 1-2 times per week. No alcohol, 2 cups coffee in a.m. and yes, I ditched the soda (sad face). I think I'll just keep trying to tweak the diet and upgrade my exercise to 20 min cardio this week (started today with upgraded cardio) and I'll check back in to let you guys know if it made a change.

Thanks again for all your support. Joyce
Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #14  

Bambifox, I have the same problem with eggs and it does complicate things! My egg problem began about two or three years ago - I was definitely over 30 at the time. All the years I was doing weight watchers I had oatmeal every day for breakfast and only had to confront my egg issue when we ate out. But doing Atkins without eggs does make breakfast more complicated. My favorite breakfast is hamburgers. If we have burgers at night, I grill a bunch of extras and zap them in the morning with some cheese. Lots of time I put mayo on the side and kind of dip them. I was eating sausage a lot, but someone on this board told me to check the carbs and, yes, the precooked sausage had carbs so I stopped that. Lots of time I eat pork leftovers, cold, for breakfast. My husband always comments on the large amounts or meat I make him grill on weekends, but I seldom throw any away. Right now my fridge has a casserole of shedded chicken cooked with canned tomatoes (dinner for a couple of days), enough grilled chicken breasts to put one on my salad every day for lunch and some boneless ribs for breakfast for a day or two. I don't really feel deprived, except for bread. I do miss bread.

I went back and forth with the diet coke. This time I decided to try and give it up, but I do drink it on special occasions. We go out to eat with a group most Fridays and they all drink beer. The diet coke makes it easier to not drink beer. During the week I drink flavored water. No calories, no carbs, just a little carbonation (sp?). It's not ideal, I know, but I don't think it's damaging. I drink plain water with my meals and during my work out, so I get at least three or four glasses in. I've also discovered decaffinated herbal teas. I bought a sampler pack a while ago, so have new ones to try at night. That's been a good thing too. Good luck! But with two successful experiences behind you, you probably don't need it.
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #15  
banned

Lynnar - Thanks so much for feeling my agony! That means a bunch...to know that someone else out there struggles too! Today is day 2 with no soda and I gotta tell ya...I'm hurting! Giving up the bread, pasta, mickey dees, cakes, cookies, etc. all combined do not compare to the loss of my diet soda. I'm giving it a week and then I'd better see some results or back to the diet soda I go...I'll just get diet rite or some other splenda sweetened soda! I mean, for goodness sake...I've never heard of someone getting fat because of drinking "diet soda"....sorry, just needed to vent!!!! Thanks. Joyce