Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation Impending business trip

Alright... it's that time of year. Tradeshow season. First trip....8 days in VA Beach. We are talking crazy busy, conference food, booze, entertainment, junk, and I'm sure no sleep (which I've been having trouble with in the first place these days!)

My hotel looks to have a really nice gym but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to use it. I'm sure there is a fridge in the room so I can keep some things there but with the nature of my business I can't skip the social events.

My first 2 events scheduled is a 'New England Lobsta Bake' and a Superbowl party at a sports bar. I'm afraid it's going to be an awful week. More than I'm worried about food I'm worried about the booze... I'm a drinker, and am currently trying not to drink at all as I've, lets say, had some problems with it recently. In my new found clarity I was actually wondering how much weight I'd lose if I simply did not have any alcohol at all for a month...just as a test...then I realized that I'm going to get on a plane in a week to what I'm sure will be an 8 day bout of debauchery and I'm terrified that I won't be strong enough.

I'll take any advice or votes of encouragement that anyone has.

Oh and on a happier note, i totally invested in an elliptical yesterday...a nice compact one for my remaining patch of free land in my tiny apartment. I'm psyched...I can't wait for it to be delivered! I got a sweet deal if anyone has been in the market let me know!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #2  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I would say that you should avoid the drinks completely if you can. Not only are drinks empty calories you don't need but drinking (atleast for me) makes resisting the bad foods even harder. Do the best you can, if there is a fridge bring healthy low cal breakfast items to get a good start to the day. At the events pick the healthiest options and watch portions. Don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect. Try the best you can to make it to the hotel gym, even to just walk on a treadmill for 15 minutes (better then nothing) I am going on vacation soon and I won't be logging my calories for the week. That is pretty much my plan, make the best choices I can, allow myself small treats just watch the portion size, and keep moving either go to gym or do activities that get me moving. I will call it a victory if I can maintain my weight over that week.
Great buy on the elliptical!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've gone on many business trips throughout the years and I don't drink.

I've never been bothered about not drinking, its just not what I do.

My advice is to stay away. If you want something "drink like" you could try club soda with a lime. That is usually what I drink on airplanes.

Really, you can do this. Socializing doesn't require drinking. Its just a waste of calories and money.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #4  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

oh yeah! Have them put some Martinelli's sparkling cider in a champagne glass for you! It's delish, and you won't feel like an outsider.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

If you really want to drink, alternate the alcohol with water...or just limit yourself to one. Rum and Diet Coke is my drink of choice....although I am not drinking at the moment!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Good luck on your trip

Good luck on your trip. I've been amazed that when I've been chosen to be designated driver at a social function, no one noticed so long as I held a half full glass in my hand.

By-the-by, I happen to be in the market for an eliptical. What's the story on your sweet deal?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I've been on many business trips like this, and drinking was never a requirement. I drank sparkling water or whatever I felt like, unapologetically and without thinking of hiding it.

Sure, there are lots of drinkers at these types of events, but that doesn't mean you have to drink, too.

If you've been noticing that you're overindulging regularly on booze, it's probably a great idea to avoid it altogether rather than trying for moderation. It's not like food, which we have to find a way to deal with. I know with myself, when I drink I tend to overeat, too. My defenses go way down and the consquences don't seem as close.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Thanks folks.

I just need to get to the point where I can just not drink...for me easier said than done... let's just say I'm not the kind of person that can 'just have one' it's not a good idea for me to drink at all for a good long time as far as I can see. BattleAx you re right about trying to avoid it all together which I'm doing great with at home!

I just need to get past the first initial few orderings of diet cokes to get myself in the habit. It would be so much easier if I had to pay for any of it, or drive etc... I know excuses, excuses. I shouldn't make them.I like the cider idea, and the requesting the same glass as the 'alcohol' glass. Those both have great potential!

As for food, I'm basically going to have to have all of my meals out during this as I it's a tourism based conference and hey, people like to show off so we have scheduled meals etc so i think just watching, and portion control and special requests are going to be the key for that. Stick to the basics.

The other thing I need to be mindful of is going back to the hotel after an evening event ends and not going off traipsing around the city with friends and clients all night. Maybe also not being on time for the evening events...go back to the hotel, try to work out and take a shower and show up later in the evening...the less time I'm there the better off I'll be!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #9  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Sunshine--You can do it, I know you can!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #10  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Sunshine, I feel for you. When I worked full-time at the publishing company we always had to fly off to book shows whatever. The whole atmosphere is just not a "normal life" one at those functions. A big part of what gets deals done is the wining and dining, and it sounds pretty similar at your shindig. I agree with the other girls, don't beat yourself up about it too much, just try to maintain. Consider this like a dieting natural disaster From what you've said though, totally avoiding alcohol sounds like your best choice. (one never stays one, at least in my own experience) Could you tell your friends and colleagues from the get go that you are taking medicine that contraindicates the consumption of alcohol or something like that? That way you won't get any pressure to "just have one" and you might be setting up a support system as well. Anyways being prepared for trouble is already half the battle! I'm sure this trade show for you will go much better than previous ones!! You can do it!!
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote