Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Diet help

My friends are drunks! (lol)
They love to drink... and usually I don't partake, but sometimes I like to... Does alcohol pose any health or weight loss threats (other than calories and liver disease)
rockerinsideafatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

You will get many different answers to this question. My thoughts:
All things in moderation. I like a glass of wine with dinner. It was a non-negotiable with me. I have fit it into my calorie count and plan. People ask, "how does wine fit into your weightloss plan?" In answer, "very nicely!"

That being said. hear what I said about moderation. One drink, if planned for, will not cause you much of a problem. Too many will. Not only the calories from the drink, but we usually become less aware of our eating when we drink too much, so extra calories are almost a given!

When I go out with friends, I decide what I will eat and what I will drink ahead of time. Then I stick to my plan. I move the popcorn bowl, chips etc. out of my reach and closer to someone else. I order a glass of water AND my wine, then I sip my wine slowly and refill my water glass often.

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-03-2008 at 10:52 AM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #3  

Do your friends get crazy drunk? I don't want to stop hanging out with them... but they get drunk EVERY weekend.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Lightbulb

I accidently replied twice. Please see my reply below

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 01-03-2008 at 12:20 PM.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #5  

Lightbulb

rockerinsideafatgirl - My 2 cents...Just because your friends are getting smashed doesn't mean that you have to. I guess we all know this in the back of our heads, but I actually put it into practice for the first time on New Years. I had decided to limit my drinks, savor a few and focus on the people that I was with. So I was just barely buzzed (I had one drink and champagne at midnight), and I was in the company of people who were quite sloshed. I had more fun making my one drink last for a few hours then if I had shotgunned a dozen, like I used to do.
That night has taught me a lesson that I'm going to hang on to. Other then that, I stick to the drinks that will do the least damage (calorie wise) and if I go to the bar, I have a couple of drinks and dance the night away! Dancing makes less alcohol affect you more, burns lots of calories, and it's alot of fun!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #6  

Besides the calories and the liver, there aren't that many other effects. And you could either abstain or do the low calorie beers... or something like diet coke and vodka (lower calorie). Wine spritzers are good too.
JennyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

My only issue with mixed drinks is that you don't know exactly how much the bartender is putting in your drink. We have all been to clubs where one person makes the drink weak...and another makes it so strong, etc.

There is a HUGE difference in calories there, if you don't know exactly what you are getting. The only way to be sure, with a rum and Diet Coke, for example, is to order them separately-a Diet Coke, and a shot of rum.

In a light beer (in bottle or can) you can be sure of the calories that you are getting.

I am a wine drinker, and just like with food-you have to be aware of the portion size, to calculate the calories correctly.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

This may be my age speaking - but the fact that you indicate that they get crazy drunk is such a red flag. In my youth, my friends and I were big drinkers and it was a big part of our routine and I still don't think I would have ever used the term crazy drunk. Even when we were drinking, there was never any pressure when someone in the group was cutting back which in most cases was to lose weight. We were always glad to have a designated driver.

I will admit though that crazy drunk people are not that fun to be around if you are not drunk with them. But I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

If they are truly your friends, they won't care. If it is an issue to them then you need to rethink friends. My recommendation to you would be to limit yourself to 2 simple drinks (vodka and tonic etc), budget for it and drink plenty of water inbetween.

Lori

Last edited by lorilove; 01-04-2008 at 10:01 AM.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #9  

They don't pressure me, a get a few comments, but that is it. I don't get drunk with them all that often, but I do once in a while... I don't really know what it is, but when they are all drunk and I'm not... I get stuck playing mom, which I hate. Besides that, I like do to party, but I guess its just another thing to sacrifice. I know it's possible... I was just wondering if there were any other setbacks to dieting besides calories. The only other one I could think of was dehydration... I guess that can effect a lot of things as well... I dunno. I don't necessarily have a problem with not getting drunk, I was just wondering if there was a way I could... HAHAHA (i'm not a drunk I swear!)
Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

I limit myself very much! Alcohol will slow your metabilizom down from what my doctor said. My staple is margaritas! Oooh, i love em! so i plan when i want one maybe 1 or 2 a month and plan my day around it!
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #11  

skinnyvanilly2b - Cheers from another margarita girl!

Real margaritas - just silver tequila, triple sec, and lime juice with a salt rim

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 01-23-2008 at 01:39 PM.