Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #1  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Question Dietary supplements while on Atkins

Just wondering what pills and potions everyone is taking? I'm just popping a Centrum multivitamin and mineral (...which contains iron, of course - I know Doctor A says in the book you should go for something without iron, but I'd bought them before reading the book and they are blessedly familiar, rather than mysterious and Thai) and a fish oil capsule.

Since I've started using Fitday, though, it's been brought to my attention that, yes, my calcium intake is indeed shockingly low during Induction, as is my fibre intake.

Is it worth worrying about? Are you good people taking calcium supplements? Anything else you consider essential to health and fitness while on Atkins?
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I've always taken supplements...even before being on Atkins. I take a multivitamin with added calcium, 5000 mcg Biotin & 1250 mg garlic.

As for fibre, I eat plenty of veggies & 2 salads per day.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #3  
Fay

Hmm. Food for thought! Thank you kindly!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I take a multi vitamin, + calcium/magnesium/D, + potassium+ cromium.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

fibre supplement(recommended for pcos'ers)
chromium(recommended for pcos'ers)
silica
st. johns wort
magnesium
potassium
L-Carnitine(recommended for pcos'ers)
Lean System 7
multi vitamin
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Okay, this one's going to blow your mind, but here it goes. I have a friend who lost 100 lbs and when I asked him how, he told me about these pills (natural) that he bought from the dollar store that helped him lose the weight by curbing his appetite. So, I tried it. They work great! I bought them from the dollar tree, 1wk supply $1. The brand label is People's Choice, "Weight Loss". All it has in it is Cider vinegar, kelp (iodine), lecithin and vitamin b-6. It took a few days of taking them and then one day I realized that it had been 5 hours since my last meal and I wasn't even remotely hungry. That is unusual for me as I do have a ravinous appetite. So try it...you might like it.

Anyone taking any supplements that also help curb appetite/cravings?? Always open to new suggestions. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #7  
banned

Oh yeah...I'm also taking flax oil pills 1200 mg 2-3 pills per day with meals. And the Weight Loss pills I take one 3 times per day with meals.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #8  
Fay

Interesting hearing what everyone's using! This evening I swung by Boots The Chemist and picked up some Caltrate Plus (Calcium Supplement with Vitamin D and Minerals) and also something called 'Trim Time Forever', which is what they produced when I asked after Chromium (PCOS'er here!). It apparently contains white kidney bean extract, l-carnatine l-tartrate, cactus extract, green coffee dry extract, manganese amino acid chelate, niacin, chromium amino acid chelate and vitamin b6.

None of which sounds too scary. The lady, bless her, said dubiously "...we have this, but it's for people who want to lose weight." And I just LOOKED at her, and snorted with laughter, and gestured down at me, and said, "Um, well, yeah...!" And she was all "But you look great" and all that, which was just terribly sweet of her, and I explained that I was doing Atkins, blah blah blah supplementcakes, but that I wasn't looking for a magic get-thin-overnight pill - just trying to make sure I was getting all the right nutrients and suchlike I needed for my situation. And she was all "...well, this is for fat burning" and I was all "Hurrah! That sounds good to me! Next time I come in you won't RECOGNISE me!" - there was much hilarity and discussion of gyms and all this. And they gave me some free stuff! (moisturiser and lipbalm and things.) They rock! They will be my Boots The Chemist branch of choice henceforth!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Unfortunately....I am one of those people that is not able to take Chromium. It gave me such stomach pains I was sure I had an ulcer.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #10  
Fay

Really? Well - crap.

glares suspiciously at the shiny box of supplements

...hmm. Well, we'll see how it goes then. If I find myself stricken with stomach cramps, I'll know where to look to place the blame!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #11  
banned

Default B.A.B. - you are friggin hilarious!!! Love your sense of humor...

Anyway, let us know how it goes with the chromium. I remember years ago, the latest fad was chromium picolinate for burning fat....wonder if it really helps. We should start a forum just for that..ya know. People giving their "true" testimonials on dietary supplements...what works...what's crap...I think that would be helpful to everybody. Just a thought...Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
Really? Well - crap.

glares suspiciously at the shiny box of supplements

...hmm. Well, we'll see how it goes then. If I find myself stricken with stomach cramps, I'll know where to look to place the blame!