Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

Default Eating the same things everyday

So since we're always going back and forth with the answer to this question i thought i'd ask a nutritionist on Allexperts.com. So here's the what i asked and the answer.

Subject Eating the same things.
Question Hi i'm currently doing LA weightloss. My question is:

Can eating the same foods every day or 2 - 3 days in a row affect weightloss? Would someone lose less weight if they ate the same things constantly?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Debbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer Hello Debbie!

Thank you for your nutrition question. As long as you are eating 500 calories less daily then your calorie needs, you should be able to lose weight. Eating 500 calories less daily adds up to a 1-2 lb weight loss per week. You can still lose weight by eating the same foods 2-3 days in a row however, eating a variety of foods will keep your diet more interesting and easier to stay with.

Guess the councelors were really full of it!

I will still be switching things up but now i wont feel bad if i ate the same things 2-3 days in a row.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/190/175

Height: 5'7"

Well that is interesting, because you keep hearing different things about the subject.
ChopperChick355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Several studies have shown that people who eat a less varied diet actually maintain weight loss better than those that have a diet with high variety. The theory is that when you eat the same foods you are satisfied with a smaller amount. when you bring more variety into your diet you will want more of a new item as you do not get it often and do not know when you may get it again.
Personally, I like to eat a variety of foods that I change up in a routine order. My breakfast is always eggs, a starch and water, my mid morning snack is always yogurt with fruit I change the fruit every couple days, lunch is always a protein 1-2 veggies and a starch. But every meal and snack has certain exchanges included so I can easily keep track of what I have had and what is still available.
I will eat the same thing with small variations several days in a row (called left over by most). I cook up chicken, fish or steak for my protein in addition to my morning eggs. And I have green beans, asparagus or other veggie ready to go. Plus I make a high fiber whole grain pilaf. I can combine each in what ever combination I desire for the day.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #4  
Amy

Debbie-

When my mom did this diet, she pretty much ate the same thing every day and lost like CRAZY! The only downside of that is, when you start eatting other things, you could gain.

I think as long as it's in moderation, go for it!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/141.9/137

Height: 5'5'

I was told the same thing - that I needed to switch it up each day. They told me to eat dinner for breakfast, breakfast for lunch, etc. It's difficult to do when I have a son to feed each night. Anyway, I eat the same thing Monday thru Thursday for breakfast and lunch. Same breakfast on Friday but lunch varies since I go out. I do change up my fruits sometimes and might vary my breakfast from an egg sandwich to homemade turkey sausage sandwich or combo of both.

I have been losing slow and steady. I am just 6 lbs away from my goal of 137. It's been a long road - 14 weeks. I only have one more week left of paid weight loss. I'm currently following Plan 2 w/o LALites. Since I have everything I need to continue, I'm not even going to weigh in again. This message board has been more help then the COD.

Thanks,
jamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #6  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Cool View Post
Several studies have shown that people who eat a less varied diet actually maintain weight loss better than those that have a diet with high variety. The theory is that when you eat the same foods you are satisfied with a smaller amount. when you bring more variety into your diet you will want more of a new item as you do not get it often and do not know when you may get it again.
The YOU on a Diet folks recommend having the same thing for one meal each day, every day for this reason. Makes sense I guess. I would think that having the same thing all the time would gyp your body of certain nutrients. Don't think that having the same things for several days would matter much though.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

I don't eat the same thing for every meal every day, but I have a very similiar breakfast every day and similiar snack for morning and afternoon every day, and generally try to limit lunch to a starch, a protein and a veggie or two.

I also don't do a lot of measuring on my vegetables. I just eat as many as I feel like having, which is almost always over what they say to eat. Even when I was in weight loss mode, I ate more veggies than they said. Since I was not one who felt it was hard to get all the food in, but one who felt that I was starving all the time.

I do think eating very similiar (I will vary the type of fruit or the type of cereal somewhat) meals everyday makes it easier to maintain. When I break out of my routine is when I tend to gain. It is just easier to keep track of yourself long term (as I don't do a food diary anymore since I hit maintenance) if you keep the exchanges you are eating for each meal very similiar, so you always can know what you have left without having to remember much. I have found when I mix it up, I mess it up.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #8  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Debbie....thanks for checking that out further. I feel very comfortable with the answer you were given. Again, I think we all need to figure out what works for us......and with that being said.........I do think you have to stick to the basics of the plan in order for it to work. That does not mean other plans will not work.......but if you want LAWL to work.......you have to go with it. Our dear friend, Cassi used to always remind us of that.......don't fight it.....either go with it, or don't. And now, our dear friend Lynn reminds us.......and she is proof that it really does work if you stick to it. And, if you read through your materials.....I don't really think it says you shouldn't eat the same foods everday if they are nutrient rich. Variety is better as far as getting in all of your vitamins and minerals, cuz they aren't all found in brocolli and chicken........but, being overweight is certainly not healthy........so if brocolli and chicken and a multi-vitamin supplement get your healthy.......I say your heart will probably thank you

And Barbara.......I eat as many veggies as I want too.....I think Katie does too

Debbie........I love the issues you raise........it makes for good discussion!!!
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #9  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Since I've been on LAWL for quite a while, I can definitely say that I've become a bit pessimistic about some of the counselors. I've gotten all of the suggestions, including dinner for lunch, splitting like proteins, etc.

What it comes down to is that they are trying to keep YOU in it, not that they have the magic answer for weight loss (if only). We all know that weight loss is as much psychological as physical. If the counselors see you not losing and you are getting frustrated, it is their job to get you to re-commit rather than get discouraged - "changing up' what you eat is a way to do this.

Once I realized that's what they were doing, I got less frustrated at their suggestions and started tracking what worked best for me.

Also, they want us to incorporate a variety of foods so that we know what they are... since this should be a lifestyle change (my way of thinking of it anyway).

That said, when I am feeling less than positive or secure about my ability to plan meals, or I am focused on reaching a mini-goal, I scale back and eat a limited assortment of meals.

Last edited by Kimphin; 01-22-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #10  
Liza - LAWL since 6/17/07

Kim - that is a really great way of looking at it! I like that!
lizababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #11  
Kim - IP 9/10

Yeah, suprised myself on that one!

It was a "eureka" moment for me.

Last edited by Kimphin; 01-22-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Kim, What a way to put into words what I had lurking around in my mind for some time. The true secret to losing weight is sticking with a plan for long enough for it to work. I guess if they can distract us into focusing on trying different things, we will keep at it. It is kind of brilliant in its own devious way. I definitely fell for it for the first 9-10 months...
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote