General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Default Another book thread- what are you reading right now?

I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera. It is lovely so far.

Everyone else?

Last edited by djs06; 01-22-2008 at 01:16 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

i'm reading Sex with the Queen
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Ballerina by Edward Stewart: I read it when it first came out in 1978 (it's long out of print), then happened to find a copy the other day. After that I'm going to read The High-Impact Infidelity Diet, which sounds cute and I'll report on it when I start

Last edited by ANOther; 01-22-2008 at 01:42 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Just finished Lifeguard by James Patterson...good! And now starting Gone by Lisa Gardner. This month alone I have read...Eat, Pray, Love (bored me but I did finish it) Into the Wild (good), Wife For Hire (silly, but liked it) and True Believer(also decent). I love to read! Oh geez, I forgot the best one...The Diving Bell & The Butterfly...excellent, and very inspirational for me. I must see the movie now even though I know it won't be as good as the book.

Last edited by FrouFrou; 01-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just finished "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See - I devoured it in just a few days, it was so fascinating.

Another recent favorite - "The Book of Joe" by Jonathan Tropper. So fascinating.

I am in the middle of "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls. What an amazing memoir. I'm hooked.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm listening to a book right now. I love getting these things at the library and have someone read a story to me while I commute to work.

When Day Breaks by Mary Jane Clark. I've never read anything by her before, I think I'll look into more books she has written.

I'm almost done with it and I have Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery At Sea by mother/daughter team Mary Higgins Clark and Carol Higgins Clark ready to go. I know the holidays are over and reading a mystery that takes place on a cruise ship may be the wrong thing to do before our cruise, but I'm doing it anyway.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #7  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

The Art, Science, and Technology of Pharmaceutical Compounding and Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems at the moment.

But when it comes to the weekend, I'm currently in the first book of Jacqueline Carey's 2nd D'Angeline Trilogy Kushiel's Scion.

It's either textbooks or trashy novels. I have no time for anything else ;>
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #8  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm reading The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs. It's about Jacobs' quest to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. It's a great story, weird little facts that Jacobs learns interweaved with issues he addresses in his life (problems with self worth, conception, etc).
scgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm about 500 pages into Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It is a very interesting and entertaining book. I can't wait each night to pick it up and read. Up next are the autobiography of Eric Clapton, the new one by Sue Grafton and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #10  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Its always fantasy or sci-fi for me Bedlam's Bard by Mercedes Lackey and Ellen Guon
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, books, one of my favorite topics.

Mare - I love love love audiobooks. I have one on in the car all the time (just finished Love Over Scotland by Alexander McCall Smith) and one on my MP3 player (just finished Starburst by Robin Pilcher). I highly recommend both of these books.

Our library participates in a downloadable books program - you can download a book to your home PC and listen there for 2 weeks, or burn it to CDs or onto an MP3 player and have it indefinitely. I also buy books from audible.com.

Allison, I loved Pillars of the Earth and I can't wait to read the new one.

I'm a big mystery reader, and right now I'm caught up with all my favorite authors. Why can't they right as fast as I read?

I need a new book right now. I picked up a Catherine Coulter paperback the other day, but I'm nearly done. And I started reading a book my DH got for his men's book club Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler, which is about China, but it's non-fiction and a little slow-going. I'll probably finish it, but I need something lighter to fill in. I also have my name down for Michael Pollen's new book about food (title escapes me).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

I just finished the first 4 books of the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books a couple days ago.

Last night I started reading The Inheritance of Loss, and so far it's very well written!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

I just finished up Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood, and am now reading Andrea Camilleri's "The Terra-Cotta Dog." (It's Italian detective fiction and pretty fantastic )

My two off-and-on books I'm reading are the Collected Correspondence of Alexander Pope and Alan Greenspan's The Age of Turbulence.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Woohoooo, so many books! This was a dangerous thread to start! i'm a used book sale-aholic. I have more books than will ever fit on my shelves and probably more than I can read in my entire lifetime- and I'm young! Now I'm furiously amazon-ing the titles everyone has written, and now i'm going crazy. In a good way. Yay!
Allison, Pillars is on my list (in the next five or so to read) but I've been hesitant because I'm intimidated by the sheer size of it! Everyone who has read it has given glowing recommendations though, so I might just bite the bullet!
Amanda, someone gave me the Glass Castle last year for Christmas and it's been on my perpetual "I'll read this in the next five" list, I think it'll have to move up now.

Pat, if you're into mystery, have you ever read Laura Lippman? She was one of my college professors and her books are wonderful.

Zen, I hear you! I can't make myself read for fun during the semester, and mine starts on Monday, so I'm trying to get in as much as I can in the next week.

Now if only I could train myself to read without falling off the elliptical I'll have to look into audiobooks.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Allison, Pillars is on my list (in the next five or so to read) but I've been hesitant because I'm intimidated by the sheer size of it! Everyone who has read it has given glowing recommendations though, so I might just bite the bullet!
Don't be intimidated! It was easy for me to get into and it is very interesting, despite the sheer size. I think my only problem is it's weight--my wrists get tired so I prop it up on my belly and rest it against my legs while I recline. Every once in a while a new character pops up and I have to go back a few pages to remember who he is, but for the most part there are references to help you remember who someone is. You really need to read it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote