Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Weird sensation in my quads tonite during the decline phase of my w/l.......input pls

I lifted tonite, which was 48 hrs since my last session - and I was not in leg soreness from the last session. I experienced a sensation I don't remember ever having before. While doing squats with like 8, 10, and 15 lb weights (12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps respectively), I started feeling like a shredding sensation in my muscles on my decline. I won't call it pain bc I certainly would have quit had it been that. But, it was like the "soreness" sensation x10 - similar to the same sensation you get while going down stairs or trying to sit down after a tough workout. I've just never felt that outside of the post-workout symptom, and since my post workout discomfort wasn't present, this caught me totally by surprise to feel that discomfort while lifting - thus I call it that "shredding" feeling like my muscle was pulling apart. Was this possibly just the feeling of my muscles not having healed and being ready for this lifting yet? I got it on the first set of even the lightest weight, and have not increased my load at all recently. Just wondered if you've heard/experienced anything like this happening. I think it's normal to "feel" the muscle working and be in some minor discomfort as you push it to exhausting it, but this was quite unusual, like I said.

I am not sore today, not even the going down the stairs, sitting on the couch sore. So I don't know.

And by the way, what is your interval between doing legs? Perhaps is 48 hrs not an adequate rest? I'm only doing squats and on the ball wall squats, so it's not like I'm doing a ton of different exercises, just 2, for a total of 60 reps all combined.

Last edited by sportmom; 01-22-2008 at 12:09 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Fran, I don't know the answer to the first question. What you describe sounds very strange, but I don't have any ideas!

How long have you been lifting weights? When I first started, I sometimes felt that 48 hours between workouts wasn't enough recovery time, but as I've gotten more accustomed to it, it tends to be enough. That said, if you still feel stiff and sore after 2 days, there is no good reason not to wait until the third day. Some bodies need longer to recover than others and it is always advisable to listen to what your body is telling you. Try switching up your workout schedule and see if that feels better.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #3  

Thanks Baff. I've been lifting off and on for about 18 months, and less consistently going back to 5 years prior to that so I'm not totally new to it. I will play around with timing I guess.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #4  
Mel

I have no idea what the sensation was How do you feel now?

I do legs "heavy" once a week, with a full body day including legs lite after 3 rest days (or more accurate, 3 days of NOT legs). It's unusual for me to get very sore anymore unless I do a totally new exercise.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #5  

Well, actually today I'm in pretty sore discomfort. I must have run up the stairs once to fast because once at the top my thighs were killing me, esp. the part of the quads that wraps around the lower inside of the thigh going into the knee (but not the knee, thankfully). I guess i need to workout again?? I did already do my cardio. But this is that cold weather/need to workout sensation. Odd.

My short term solution is to wear yoga-type stretch pants one size too small. I'm really enjoying kind of the massaging or control/top sensation around my thighs. I think it's good to keep them warm and let the heat build up somewhat there. Crazy, but now I understand why the athletes try to keep their muscles warm b/w events.