Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default I'd be wholesome except....

OK, ok, I am a whole foods girl....most of the time. But are there any processed fake foods that you just cant/wont give up and eat regularly? I know a lot of people use the artificial sweeteners regularly

My biggies are
Kraft 2% sharp cheddar singles - I like the fake melty goo I confess..I have one slice every morning in my omelet
(Caffeine free- if possible) diet coke - my only source of artificial sweeteners..I probably average about a can a day of the caffeine free or maybe1-2 x /week I'll have a caffeinated one instead.

Last edited by ennay; 01-19-2008 at 01:37 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I love Fiber One bars. They are the one thing I can't seem to give up!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

chips and any candy--snickers, reeces cups.

but i guess one thing i would hate to live without:

Macaroni and Cheese! with the powdered 'cheese'.

granted i always use evoo instead of butter and add a chopped tomato or spinach, but it's still a favorite treat.
the last few batches have been from Trader joes. I don't know if he makes it with less chemicals than your regular macncheese or not, but i think most TJ's stuff is less preservatives, right?
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I know this isn't exactly processed fake food, but homemade cookies are a weakness (sugar, white flour, etc.) I do try to get at least something healthy in them though. I made pumpkin chocolate chip ones last time I needed a cookie fix.

I also love good vanilla ice cream on occasion.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I can't get myself to make my own bread. I'm not actually eating bread right now since I'm on Phase 1 of South Beach, but I'll be adding back into my life when I reach Phase 2, and I just use a whole grain bread with no HFCS and no sugar (mine has a small amount of sugar alcohols, which are derived from plants).

I thought I was buying way processed turkey burgers since I'm too lazy to make my own patties from ground turkey--I assumed they were loaded with sodium and had preservatives and such in them, but today I checked the label more closely, and the only ingredients are turkey and seasonings, and there's only 85mg sodium per burger--I was so excited! I'm not sure how it happened that I'd been buying them for so long and never read the label that closely, as I read the labels on EVERYTHING--I think maybe I was afraid they were so bad I just didn't want to know anything other than calorie count
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Blue bunny fudgesicles - 35 calories each and they give me my little bit of chocolate and ice cream. I'm NOT giving them up!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Jill - I was reading bread labels yesterday, as we're about out and I didn't see where I was going to find the time to bake. Every one I picked up had HFCS in it. Sigh. I'm baking bread today. I don't mind an occasional slice of bread, but I don't want to buy it for everyday.

I actually love mac n cheese too, the powdered cheese kind, or the real stuff (which has waaay too many calories and fat). Probably eat it only 1-2x a year. But like Ennay, I like the gooiness of the 2% slices too. And I still buy some Lean Cuisine dinners to keep at work so I'm not tempted to go out for a pricey - both in $$ and calories - lunch when I don't bring one.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Blue bunny fudgesicles - 35 calories each and they give me my little bit of chocolate and ice cream. I'm NOT giving them up!
oooh, that too--I get the no sugar added Popsicle brang fudgesicles for 40 calories each. Good call!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #9  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Chocolate bars eek!

I've started making peanut butter cookies by doing the following:

1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg.

Blend together until thick. This makes 24 cookies. I usually have one or two a day max... maybe for 2 days before they're gone LOL. I love how there is no flour or any other flavorings.

I cook at about 350F... but keep an eye on them, they cook fast and will burn easily.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

There isn't really any processed food I eat regularly but there are a number of things I buy....

Whole grain bread - DH eats most of this but occassionally I will have a sandwich. I like Ezekiel Cinnamon raisin bread which is pretty good.

Whole grain cereals - DH eats a lot of whole grain cereals, mostly Trader Joe's brand. Although they aren't sugary, they are still processed.

Snack bars and such - Larabars, Clif bars, etc. Even though I try to buy the ones with fewest ingredients and all natural ingredients. I rarely eat these though.

Soy milk/almond milk - DH mostly uses these with his cereal but occasionally I'll have cereal too.

Dark chocolate squares - These are a treat which I sometimes indulge in and DH really likes as well.

That is pretty much it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #11  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Well, things have changed for me.....

I completed Phase One and I am almost done with Week One of Phase Two.

I haven't read of anyone else having had this experience or posted about it but I seem to have lost almost all taste or desire for carbs. I thought I would be ready to add them in when the time came but when I did I was disappointed that what I used to eat and love the taste (or so I thought) I would want and maybe even crave but I didn't!

I am taking this as a cue that my body has really detoxed from some of my former taste preferences. I have decided that I am going to follow that cue and only add in the carbs that I need to keep me going to the bathroom and forego some of the ones that I really don't miss.

I have found that the sugar free Jello, chocolate pudding and hard candies that Dr. A. recommends in his book have satisfied any residual desire I have had for anything sweet. I plan on keeping it that way.

I have lost 12 lbs since starting this and I am psyched to keep going so all of those goodies you ladies are eating I do not even want to "go there". There will be none of that in my kitchen as long as I can help it. In the past, I allowed myself some cheats and all it ended up doing for me was weakening my resolve and stalling my weight lose.

In his book, he did say that on occasion you could have a piece of cake or bread but in my experience that only works in theory.For me, in practice, it doesn't work. I was following WW Flex Points prior to switching to SBD and I was allowing myself things that I shouldn't have both for health reasons and to aid in my weight lose. For me, and I am only speaking for me, this doesn't work well. I have to follow the plan as it is written.

Besides, I want to reach my goal weight by Thanksgiving of this year and I can do it if I work the plan the way it was meant to be worked.

Thanks for sharing though,

Last edited by pamatga; 01-21-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more words
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Occasional splenda (as of Jan 1, 2008) I have stopped using it in my daily coffee.

Fiber One Bars - couple a week. I usually have them when I'm in a pinch with no snack.

Occasional other random treats that I have a showers, parties, night's out. I do have a sweet tooth!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

pamatga, did you mean to post in the South Beach section? This is the Whole Foods area--some similarities, but overall quite different plans (I know some Whole Food-ers don't do sugar-free Jell-o or pudding since there are chemicals and artificial sweeteners, for example)
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I don't eat much in the way of processed food, but I do have a weakness for processed potatoes. I love McDonald's french fries and have a serious weakness for salt and vinegar chips.

I buy and eat dark chocolate but don't consider this a processed food. It's processed in the way that canned tomatoes or goat cheese are processed--naturally and inevitably.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Laughing cow cheese
Lean Cuisines. I only eat them occasionally, but I don't want to give them up
Sugar free pudding
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote