Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Default Getting bored with food on atkins wk 2 help!

I've been on atkins for 1 wk and 3 days. lost 5 lbs first week and second week weigh-ins are on saturdays for me so I do not know if any weight loss yet. I keep having this feeling every night late at night that I am hungry for something...I eat an orange (thinking its sweets), I drink herbal tea (sometimes)...no results. I think it may be mental. I stay in ketosis, so I know the citrus fruits (lemon, oranges) are not hurting me. Is it just induction, or what??? Any suggestions? I've been thinking about trying those hoodia pills to curb my appetite. The atkins diet does curb my appetite during the day by itself, but it is at night that I struggle.

I start my workout program tomorrow a.m., better get some rest...I have a hard time sleeping...any suggestions on this as well.
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #2  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hiya bambifox!

Ketosis is one thing - cravings another, ya know? I'm thinking the fruit is causing your hunger feelings/cravings? Have you ever done Induction w/o the fruit?

Are you drinking lots of water? LOTS?

Have you tried JerseyGyrls advice?:

"For some of the best low carb recipes on the net...have a look":
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

This site helps me with boredom.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #3  
Somethin's gotta give

I agree with Aud- and I have the same problem -I've got plenty of food to take, but it's the same thing day after day and I think its because I havent branched out and tried to MAKE anything- Im just straight on the meat, eggs, cheese, salad and too many pork rinds!
try the website- i've been printing out recipes im going to try and cook this weekend.
As for the sleep- I have also had trouble- Have you tried Valerian? I use it most nights- You can buy it at most drug stores- I take a few and it makes me drowsy-
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #4  
banned

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I will try the valerian. To answer your question Aud, I have tried Atkins without the fruit and your probably right. Although it was many years ago, I don't remember being this hungry late at night. But, my body is craving citrus fruits...so I don't know what to do??? I want to try that Hoodia stuff...maybe it will help curb my appetite. I just had my 2nd weigh-in and I lost another 3 lbs, bringing my total weight loss to 8lbs in two weeks! I know..I know...I should be happy, but I'm not. I started exercising this week and I really expected to lose another 5lbs like the first week. I don't drink lots of water...in fact, before I started Atkins 2 weeks ago, I actually drink NO water. Now, I drink 1-3 glasses a day. I know, pathetic right???, but I just hate water and I have to force myself to drink it. For week 3, I'm going to try drinking 6 glasses per day and see if my weight loss is increased.

I'm 5'9 and started at 185...down to 177 in 2 wks...anyone have any ideas of when I can expect to stall?? Thanks for all your help. Joyce
Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Your eating sounds closer to the South Beach diet, which does allow fruit. However, there is no fruit the first two weeks of the plan. Fruits can trigger cravings. You should probably give up the fruits for two weeks. Then you can add them back and you will really be able to tell if they are causing your cravings. Good luck.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #6  
banned

This weekend I tried Jerseygyrl's recommended website for low-carb recipes. Thanks Jerseygyrl! I made the seafood bisque soup and wow! It was soooo delishous and filling....almost too good to be true! I'm gonna try making a few more of the recipes on the website today and store it in the frig and freezer for the week. If anyone out there is like me and gets bored of the salad, meat, eggs (which I can't eat...makes me naucious), cheeze thing, I would highly recommend going to this site. The recipes and really not hard to make...I should know, I can't cook to save my life!

Tonight, I try my valerian. Hopefully, it will help me sleep. I'll let you all know if it helps.

As far as the southbeach diet is concerned, I tried looking into it, but found that it wouldn't work for me even though the diet allows fruit. Southbeach diet requires counting of calories, if I'm not mistaken, which I just simply cannot do. The reason I like Atkins is because there is no calorie counting. I have also added Flaxseed pills to my diet since I see alot of you low-carbers out there have tried them with success. I am also going to be trying some other natural fat burners that I got from the 99 cent store. It was only $1 and one week's supply. I figure that's an inexpensive way to try new pills and there natural so we'll see. Joyce
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #7  
banned

Oh yeah...I have a question. Has anyone tried any natural or unnatural pills that have helped curb your appetite or burned fat faster. I'm on a mission for my size 6 body and any edge I could get would be most helpful. Thanks. Joyce
Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #8  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

I'm not on Atkins, but I'd personally stay away from the pills, in general, especially if they're from the dollar store. The dollar store often carries things from overseas which aren't very regulated.. For example, toothpaste from South Africa which contains an excess of flouride since they don't have it in their public water systems, but which can cause tooth discoloration in Americans since we already have a supply in our water.. I'd just be really careful, especially if you have any history of hypertension or heart problems as the pills often just rev up your heartrate, causing your body to do extra work. (not good if you aren't in top health, and not good in general for anyone)

Last edited by LittleMissMotivation; 01-21-2008 at 12:08 PM.
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #9  
banned

These pills are supposed to be "all natural". I think the fat burner has vitamin B-6, vinegar and something else. What about these types of pills? Have you ever tried any of them such as flaxseed pills, etc. that have helped speed of your weight loss?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #10  
Wannabe Health Nut!

Anyway, even with a much slower rate of weight-loss, with your height, you should definitely be where you want by the summer - and much more likely to keep it off, than if you go "hard-core" to get to the size 6 with pills, etc. than if you did it the 'slow(er) and steady' way.

Best of luck - you'll get there! (and probably sooner than you think! - even without pills!)
Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #11  
banned

Thanks littlemissmotivation, I'm just so happy with the first 2 weeks loss (8lbs) and I'm working out. Perhaps even a placebo might help. But to be honest, little changes and experimentations with my diet have already helped with my cravings. I just know, if I can get back down to 150lb, I'll be able to keep it there with regular exercise. The trick is just getting there! Wanna here something silly, when I was 150lb size 6 diva, I still felt fat! I really have never been completely happy with what I saw in the mirror and now when I look at my old pics and see just how skinny and fit I really was, I would die to be the way I was....isn't life funny. I've made a promise to myself though...if ever I fit back into my old clothes again, I will totally appreciate it...smile. Joyce
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #12  
Wannabe Health Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
These pills are supposed to be "all natural". I think the fat burner has vitamin B-6, vinegar and something else. What about these types of pills? Have you ever tried any of them such as flaxseed pills, etc. that have helped speed of your weight loss?
Sounds more like a vitamin than a pill, then. I'd just beware of 'thermogenic' or 'fat burning' pills which can wreck havoc on your body. If it's just B-6, vinegar and maybe like another vitamin or calcium or something, I would think it COULD either work by just supplying some vitamins you may need in excess with dieting and working out to facilitate loss of weight, or it could just be some hyped-up pill that failed and ended up at the dollar store. Just be careful and don't expect too much from them.

Also, just because something is "all natural" doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Just look at heroin, cocaine, etc. These come from "natural" substances.. Natural substances can also be riskier since they aren't required to carry FDA approval on their claims as they can only be marketed as "dietary supplements".. While I don't put too much weight on the FDA (they ARE a business of sorts and subject to lobbying, etc.), I would prefer that something were at least subject to rigorous testing on their claims, as opposed to just being able to market whatever..

Again, not trying to rain on your parade, just advise you to be careful with your health.. Losing weight is a great way to improve health, but just be careful with the means.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/229/180

Height: 5'4

Melatonin is also very good to help with sleeping issues. I used to try all kinds of over the counter junk (like Tylenol pm and Unisom) and if it did help which was rare, I woke up feeling groggy. But Melatonin is natural. You can get it at health food stores and in most vitamin sections at retail stores.

Maire...
Had not heard of Valerian, may have to give that a shot too.
Amy On a Mission76 is offline   Reply With Quote