Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10

Default What do you eat? / What should I eat?

I'm starting to get bored. For the past few weeks this has been my breakfast/lunch except for maybe one or two days

Breakfast:
Multigrain cheerios (W/2% milk)
Half a banana
Small glass of OJ

Snack:
Quaker chewy granola bar (100 cal)

Lunch:
Pre packaged salad
usually with a few grape tomato's, a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
A few times I added a hard boiled egg, or some chicken breast strips.
Yoplait light yogurt
Snack bag of sunchips

Dinner:
Whatever is made at home (I still live with my parents unfortunately)
They don't eat really "bad" foods but it's not always something extra healthy, so I try to just watch my portions.

I am looking for new options. I like veggies, fruit, tuna, chicken, turkey ... I just don't have any good ideas of what to put together.

I was thinking of getting some frozen veggies and some kind of Mrs. Dash seasoning and just putting them in the micro at work to 'steam' them.

Any other ideas?

What kinds of things do you eat?
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #2  
I Love my girls

S/C/G: 350/315/145-

Height: 5'3

Default what snacks I like

I really like Weight watchers yogurt, and smooties, also I like slimfast snacks.

Sugar free pudding is super excellent too!! I LOVE Chocolate but obviously
I try to stay away from it so the chocolate pudding is great!!
helenandaudreysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #3  
maggiegirl

S/C/G: 189/ticker/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've been on an oatmeal kick for breakfast- I like the quick oats cooked on the stove, but the quaker weight control instant is really good too. For lunch, you may try using the zip and steam bags for chicken breasts, or veggies- or pre-cook the chicken at home and fill a whole wheat wrap or pita with chicken & veggies or salsa, etc. Yummy!
maggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #4  

Get some couscous. It cooks super fast and is really easy.
Here are a few good combos: couscous w/ a bit of saffron, paprika and tomato paste in the water (or chicken broth) then you can add some chopped roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and chickpeas. I also love orzo pasta with some arugula, olive oil and parmesan (and a bit of bacon if you are feeling decadent). Or get some black beans, chicken, chopped bell peppers and salsa. Heat this whole mix in the microwave till it is hot and serve it over some rice (or without if you like) or in a tortilla.
jade408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I love making wraps. La Tortilla factory makes great high fiber ww tortillas and the small ones are only 50-60 calories with 8 grams of fiber. For a quick on the run breakfast spread with peanut butter and wrap around a banana. It's even better if you microwave it for a few seconds. For lunch I'll put some tuna salad (made with light mayo, mustard, chopped pickle) in the tortilla with a handful of fresh spinach.

Other ideas:

For breakfast~

Plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt with fruit (I like blueberries) and a piece of ww toast

Steel cut oatmeal (a trick I learned for steel cut oats in to put 1/4c oats and 3/4c-1c water in a pan, boil for one minute, take off the heat, cover and let sit overnight. It'll be cooked in the morning. Just reheat.) I like to add flaxseed meal, raisins, and a smidge of maple syrup to mine

1 egg + 1 egg white scrambled in 1t oil in a tortilla or on toast

For lunch~

Soups (homemade or bought)

Veggies and ww pasta tossed with low cal dressing

"baked" sweet potato with toppings like plain yogurt and spiced up black beans or whatever you like (you can microwave sweet potatoes at work~you can do this with a regular tater as well)

Veggies over Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) Quinoa cooks in 15 minutes and is very high in protein for a grain

Last night's leftovers (if your parents make something healthy/low cal)

Hummus and veggies/pita for dipping (amount would vary if it's a snack vs meal)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't care for the texture of the La Tortilla Factory wraps (though the are great if you do like them), but I love making sandwiches on whole grain bread. I use thin-sliced cheese (full sandwich coverage for half the calories without having to use fat free cheese!) and reduced sodium meats (ham, turkey, chicken, whatever). And, of course, if you like veggies, there's lots you can add: lettuce, spinach, tomato, onion, avocado, etc., or even fruit (ham, Swiss cheese, and pineapple rings in a toasted sandwich--YUM!). I also like to use hummus as my spread instead of mayo, and sometimes flavored hummus to give it a kick (dill, roasted red pepper, garlic...).

I've been craving some egg salad lately--another good option. If you're worried about the yolks, you can dump some of them and just use mostly whites if you like (although I go ahead and use the yolks since recent studies show that they're not as evil as once thought, plus they're yummy ). I just mix my eggs with some reduced fat mayo and plain mustard, sometimes add paprika, onion powder, parsley flakes, whatever I feel like that day. I often don't even eat egg salad on a sandwich, just straight from the bowl.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Are you following a specific plan? If so, do you have books supporting it? Those should give you a ton of ideas to keep it interesting. Also, if you can't afford the books, then go to the library.

If you aren't following a specific plan then you will have a bit more challenges. I tried different plans and found that I didn't like being structured in my food. I just do plain ole calorie counting. I do watch the fat and carbs, but nothing is off limits (except nuts, seeds and corn - medical condition).

Check out the foods section on here. There is a list of foods with nutritional info. That may open some doors for you as well.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote