Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #1  
All things are possible!!

Default Does this feel like a roller coaster to anyone else?

I guess I'm just checking to see if I'm normal!

I have times when I am so psyched up about eating right and exercising. I see the goal - I see myself succeeding in losing this extra weight. I focus on my successes and my mini-goals. I can do it, and nothing can stop me!

Then. . . there's the other times.

Sometimes I feel so down because it's such a HUGE goal, and I wonder if I can do it. I dread exercising, and I envy those people who don't have a problem with food.

This weekend has been such a rollercoaster for me. I had cravings yesterday, and I didn't do the fitness video I had planned to do. Today, I was DREADING going to the high school to work out - big time. I kept dragging my feet, for probably an hour before we went. I had such a crummy attitude during my workout. But as Dr. Phil says in the book I'm reading, "You don't have to like it - you just have to do it."

Am I the only one who deals with the roller coaster of emotions about it? Does it get better or worse as you go through this weight loss journey??

Last edited by Havingfaith; 01-20-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #2  

I know exactly how you feel. I just had the flu (tough way to lose weight) and have been eating much less and feeling great. But I'm up and down, too. I just posted and article by Kathy Smith that I thought was encouraging. Here's the link.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...114875&page=21
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I'm sitting beside you on the rollercoaster!
And yes you are normal! If everyone stayed psyched all the time they would probably never relapse uinto old habits etc. I guess the trick is what to do when we feel less psyched/ motivated? I made myself a virtual model at my starting weight, halfway goal and final goal and put them on a paper that I look at for motivation.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #4  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I can't say I enjoy walking, but you know what has helped me is having people that I walk with or go to the "gym" with. If I make a commitment with someone else, I am forced to go basically. It's easier to if you involve more people. That way if one bails, you still have others.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

It's absoloutley normal. I guess I just get through it by thinking that the 'downside' of the rollercoaster has to move into the 'upside' of it... I know it's going to go back down again but perseverance is the name of the game - it can't stay a downside of that rollercoaster forever!

For the most part I like working out (well I enjoy the feeling afterwards). I work out every other day at the moment - and sometimes when it's the downside of the rollercoaster and I'm working out I just keep telling myself -I just have to work as hard as I can for the next two hours then its another 48 hours before I'm back here again. I know that may sound negative etc but it's what gets me through. The food bit I find easier to control anyway.

Last edited by denialisnthappiness; 01-20-2008 at 05:31 PM.
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

no, it's just you - this whole thing is a breeze for everyone else LOL hahaha OK that's the funniest thing i've ever typed! hehehe

of course it's crappy and sucky sometimes, it's such a pain in the a$$ to have to think about food alllll the time, what can i have, what's for lunch 3 days from now, ugh! i get heartily sick of it weekly!

that being said, i can't even remotely imagine what losing 100lbs looks like, so i break it into chunks of 10 lbs, which i can handle. some months its been a four pound chunk LOL but it's off your butt so regardless of how much is OFF, it's OFF!

I wish there was a magic phrase to make everything easier, boy do i !!! All i know is 'this too shall pass', whatever mood you're in today, it'll change

keep it up! yay!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #7  

To be honest -- at this point in time, losing weight/exercise is the only rollercoaster I constantly can get my big butt on !! Some days I wake up feeling amazing, ready to eat right, exercise, etc. The next day/week could be a downward spiral to a weight gain. I have also noticed that if I do exercise/eat right one day, the next day usually tends to go well. But, the day I fail at either (even a little, tiny bit) the next day is a struggle. I try not to look at the "big picture", not worry about the scale, because to me it's all about correcting the big mess I've made of my eating over 37 years and "re-entering normal" (losing food obsessions, etc.). I'm a work in progress and as long as I progress (no matter how slow) the "100 pound hill" will be climbed before I know it!! Besides, a year will pass whether I try or not so my best effort is all I can ask.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #8  
going, going, gone!!!!

S/C/G: 157/146.5/135

Height: 5'5"

I hope that I am not butting in but I have been there with you all weekend long!!! I think I'm going to make it, I'm struggling and struggling and then my kids don't finish their meal, and I sabotage myself and clean their plate. I also found every excuse in the book not to workout today...good for you for at least making the effort. Sundays I'm on my own for that, bluex has it right, if I weren't meeting other for bootcamp lord only knows how bad it would be. Hopefully tomorrow we'll feel better. Don't give up it is normal for us to have a down day, but that's just it, for the majority of us we have to make sure that it doesn't go beyond that. So I'll make a promise if you make a promise, we are worth the extra effort it takes us to do what we have to do to eat right and exercise....we'll only feel better for doing it!
thisrlipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #9  
All things are possible!!

You guys are awesome - seriously! And while I'm not happy that the rest of you go through these big roller-coaster changes in emotions/motivation, I AM happy that I am somewhat normal!

Oh, and I did do my workout today - I was just grumpy the whole time.

I just wish this whole weight-loss thing was easier - how lazy does that sound? LOL
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #10  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Every day of this is a rollercoaster!
HOWEVER, doing nothing about my weight, and knowing how badly I needed to, hating myself, retreating within myself was a much worse rollercoaster.

At least on this ride, we've got each other to hold onto when we're scared!

I'm right beside you!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote