Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Not losing weight but losing inches

Has anyone gone through this?

I have completely re-vamped my workouts and my eating since January 1st. I was slacking in December but still working out pretty faithfully. This month though, I have been doing 4 days of strength training with my personal trainer and one day of a cardio class. I also walk or run before meeting my trainer or at night at home on my TM. Food wise, I am watching my calories, I quit eating junk, no sodas, etc.

Since January 1st, I have lost 3 pounds which is alright except I have been at 202 give or take since the 8th. No budging. I measure my inches each week and I have lost 9 inches overall which I am happy about. But I want to lose pounds too. What am I doing wrong, or is this just how it's going to be for a while? I am gaining a lot of muscle, but I want the fat to go away too!

I have a body fat measurement on Tuesday so I am hoping it has improved since the last time I took it. Should I just do more cardio? I am so tired from the other stuff I am doing all week (1 hr a day 5 days a week and either Sat/Sun running). Any ideas?

Frustrated and wanting a Coca-Cola!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/167/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Also stuck on inches

While my weight loss started out with a boom, I too am stuck on one number 167. Haven't lost a pound in about 5 months, but my inches are slowly coming off with weight training. Everyone else thinks I should be happy with these results but I work out really hard and although I am doing weight training about 3 days per week, I still do my cardio 5 days per week. Lots of treadmill walking--on varying inclines, and programs, not just a stroll. I love the challenge of the stair climber (you know the machine at the gym that looks like an escalator) 15-30 minutes once per week, and the stationary bike on level 7 or 8.

I monitor my food portions and journal my calories to stay on track, but I haven't found the right food combinations to jolt my metabolism to continue to lose fat, but I can definitely tell I am gaining muscle mass. I'm tempted to cut down on resistance training and go fully back to cardio, but I do like the results of weight training.

In need of some new suggestions, that aren't extreme. Not interested in accupuncture or anything like that.
Onamission08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #3  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sure someone here will have something to say about this but actually losing inches over pounds is great. That means you are losing the "fat" and retaining and/or building much needed muscle. The numbers on the scale may not move for a while. I can go 3 months with no number change on the scale but my inches shrink. I would wait to see wait to see what BF test shows. If that's gone done you're doing everything wonderfully. Hope this helps some.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #4  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

I'm facing the same situation that you are. I strength train 3 times a week and do some form of cardio 6 days a week (less on days that I strength train). The scale didn't budge for almost 3 months, although the inches are coming off. My WW leader suggested that I eat more. This past week I made a concerted effort to eat all that was "coming" to me (Weight Watchers plan) - all healthy - and I lost 1-1/2 lbs this week!

Make sure you're not starving your body - it needs more calories to build muscle.
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If you are losing inches and your weight is staying the same, then you are losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you lose fat and gain muscle, you may not lose weight but you will be smaller.

My sister started exercising last year but did not change her diet. She dropped from a size 10 to a size 6 (sometimes even a size 4) but because she made no changes to her diet, she did not lose any weight. Her weight is exactly the same as when she started exercising but you would never guess it in a a million years. She looks fabulous. So if you are still losing inches, I wouldn't worry about losing weight. In the end, you will look fabulous. And you definitely want to keep up with the weight training; when you reach your goal, your going to want the toning that weight lifting gives you.

Cakses, if you've lost 3 pounds since Jan 1 but your weight hasn't changed since Jan 8, that must mean that you lost all three pounds during the first week of January. Three lbs is a lot to lose in one week, so it's possible that you've just stalled out for a bit while your body catches up. Weight loss isn't linear; it goes it fits and starts. In my experience, if you see a three lb loss in one week, it's not unusual to go the next couple of weeks without a loss.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

In the long run, the muscle gain should increase your metabolism also, so maybe you're just going a little while without losing, then you'll start again. At any rate, losing inches is usually a good thing. =0)
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote