Old 01-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #1  
All things are possible!!

Default Help, please! Having a tough day with temptations!!

I must confess what I almost did just now. Background info: I am home alone. Dh is off for the day. Today was supposed to be a big day - run errands, clean the house, do the laundry, and work out to Richard Simmons.

I made a big pot of bean soup for the first time today. What a yummy lunch! I figured that it doesn't have many calories, so I had two servings. Stupid me! I have better willpower than that. But I knew that wouldn't really kill my plan today.

And then. . just now. . . I started to clean up the kitchen, thinking about the bags of chocolate chips that are in the cupboard. "I could have just a few. There are 3 bags, so dh wouldn't know." OH MY GOSH! I'm having terrible mind-set today.

It shouldn't MATTER if nobody else would know. I will know! So instead of opening that cupboard and getting those chocolate chips, I came into my computer room and wrote this thread. I wish I could say that the craving is over. It's not.

Oh, this stinks! I've been doing so well. I just CAN'T blow it now. I'm off to clean more and get my mind on something else!!

Has this happened to anyone else??? Any advice on getting over the craving?
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #2  
vek

S/C/G: 203/ticker/180

Height: 5ft2"

1. Hide or give the food that is not in your diet plan
2. Make a biiiig lettuce salad and read a book or watch a movie to put your mind away
3. Take a pen and a paper and make a list with things to buy to reward yourself for every 10 pounds lost
4. Drink plenty of water
5. Look at your pics when you were slimmer and imagine yourself slim and sexy
If none of these works, get dressed and go to a salon to get a massage or haistyle, or manicure, pedicure, etc.
vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I've been in your situation many times. You can do many things really. You can leave the house, take a bath, throw all the chocolate away, take a small portion and eat it as slowly as you can and enjoy it (count it in your daily totals), do some deep breathing to calm down.

It would be hard for me to keep all that chocolate in the house. I'd throw it away. But, that's just me.

Good luck!!!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I've done lots of things in this situation - lots of them mentioned. Sometimes I ask DH to take the item that is tempting me out to his car! He's happy to help, although he seriously doesn't understand my odd cravings sometimes...or even my normal ones...he doesn't like chocolate! And once you say NO and stick to it, it is *usually* easier the next time.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #5  
Determined!!!

S/C/G: 275/261/150

Height: 5'

I think that list that vek mentioned sounds like a good idea. I know its hard to fight the temptation. I have some days where all I want to do is eat many little things, but its the little things that creep up on ya.

My brother's g/f bakes alot, but it doesn't bother me because I don't eat sweets very much. Well I noticed that the other day she had half a bag left over and layed it on the freezer in the kitchen. Well everytime someone passed by they would take like 3 of them. Well here I go passing by and getting some myself.....hello I don't even like chocolate! So I am making this horrible face and my brother says what's wrong with you? I said I just ate some of the chocolate chips...well he just shakes his head at me. Now why in the world would I do somehing like that? I think it was just to stuff my face.
Chelavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

last night all i wanted was chocolate. I wasn't hungry whatsoever - I think it was partly due to the fact it was the end of a long week, I'd spent a couple of hours in the gym and I was just tired.

I ended up drinking two cups of water and two cups of tea. I found the sweetener that I have in my tea (hate adding sugar in the 'sugar' form) kicked the need for 'sweetness' to the kerb.

Suggestions: drink lots, go out for a walk, do something with your hands (ironing?), even call a friend and talk on the phone!

oh and just keep thinking... every little decision adds up... you CAN do this
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #7  
All things are possible!!

Thanks, guys! I am feeling a little silly right now, asking for help to not eat. How sad is that?! I can't even avoid a temptation without asking for help. I feel so weak today!

But, I didn't open one of the packages of chocolate chips. Instead, I made some sugar-free pudding (which was on my list of things to do anyway), and I ate the 3 spoonfulls that were at the bottom of the bowl. It was good, and I'm hoping it will supress my sweet tooth.

This is just so strange for me, because I haven't had this kind of craving yet. I know I'm only 3 weeks into this journey, and things are going to be popping up that I haven't experienced yet. I guess I was naive and thought that the temptations wouldn't affect me. Boy was I wrong!

Thanks for holding me up!
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

hey faith you should never feel silly regarding weight loss! We've all been there no doubt

Anyway, it's not the falls that dictate this journey, merely how well you get back up from them
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Posting here was a great idea!!! I've had to do that several times to make it through the day. Another suggestion, go brush your teeth, floss, then drink a huge glass of water. Good luck! You can do it!!!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! You did great to avoid that temptation! Good for you!

Two or three weeks in is actually when the going can get tougher! The excitement of the "new plan" has worn off, and the cravings for sweets (for some people) can become really strong. I'm not sure why this is, but it does seem to happen.

Hang on! Don't give in to that "just a little here, just a little there," thinking!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #11  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad that you came here to post about it...there have been days that I have binged and then later wished I had came here to hear some of the wonderful suggestions that some of these ladies have offered.

When I'm having a temptation-filled day, I have to give myself a mental pep-talk, and I have to MEAN IT, lol. There are just a few hours left in the day...you can get through!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #12  
No description available.

You could do your exercise tape when a craving like this hits. It buys you time AND after all that work, you might not want chocolate that would undo your efforts.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Call DH and tell him there are 3 bags and that you need to count them when he gets home. If that's not feasible, call your friend or write it on the fridge. Making it something that become accountable will help!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havingfaith View Post
Thanks, guys! I am feeling a little silly right now, asking for help to not eat. How sad is that?! I can't even avoid a temptation without asking for help. I feel so weak today!

But, I didn't open one of the packages of chocolate chips. Instead, I made some sugar-free pudding (which was on my list of things to do anyway), and I ate the 3 spoonfulls that were at the bottom of the bowl. It was good, and I'm hoping it will supress my sweet tooth.

This is just so strange for me, because I haven't had this kind of craving yet. I know I'm only 3 weeks into this journey, and things are going to be popping up that I haven't experienced yet. I guess I was naive and thought that the temptations wouldn't affect me. Boy was I wrong!

Thanks for holding me up!
oh my gosh it's not SILLY in the slightest!!! i think it's AWESOME that you chose talking to US instead eating some chocolate and an even better compromise that you made some SF pudding to fill the void

that is :

1. facing a problem
2. getting help
3. finding a solution

in short, that is called ROCKING THE DAY! woohooo
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #15  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

OF COURSE it happens to us!
It is so hard when that craving monster hits.

All the things suggested above can help. Why just the other day, Rhonda helped me out of a very tough situation with an A&W Bacon ' Egger and hashbrown! And I threw it away.

So, you made it! And I'm so proud of you!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote