Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Question Work Out Question

Hi There,

I have a question about bodyweight workouts - OK, 2 questions

First - I am 1 week into a bodyweight workout on DVD that alternates strengthening moves with stretching moves. I'm already seeing progress in my ability to maintain correct positions and can even do a few reps in the "intermediate" positions in some of the moves that are "open" body moves but....... I'm having issues with the moves that call for more of a "folded" position - particularly the ones that are supposed to work abs. When I try to "fold" I have all this extra thighs and middle that get in each others way and stop my position from being entirely correct. I don't feel like I'm really working my lower abs (the upper abs, right below my breasts, are taking all the work and almost start to cramp during this part of the workout) . Is it OK to find a slightly different position that allows me to feel the lower abs more? or should just keep plugging away a few more weeks doing the best I can to follow the video until the body parts in question get less obtrusive?

Second - the program suggests 2 or 3 times a week should be enough and I'm thinking that when I reach goal and move on to a maintenance program this should be fine but, for this initial Get In Shape part I would really like to do it more often. I've read conflicting things about muscle training. Some say you should give them rest every other day and others say strenght training every day is great. Is a body weight program OK to do every day?

Looking forward to your input
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I don't know about the positions: my sense is that you should adapt the positions to work with your body, but just be careful not to hurt yourself.

The rule about weight training is that you shouldn't work the same muscle group on consecutive days. The idea is that the recovery period between workouts is the time that your body uses to rebuild and strengthen your muscles and so it is very, very important. But in this case I'd say it probably depends on the intensity of the workouts because I imagine that you could do yoga on consecutive days and you can run on consecutive days. Do these workouts really tire your muscles? Do they feel nice and sore the next day? If the exercise is gentle, you could probably do it every day, BUT, I think the better option would be to do it every other day and add in a different kind of exercise on the intervening days--like walking or jogging or swimming or whatever. Weight training is great, but so is cardio. The combination of the two is a body-changing powerhouse. Besides, the body likes variety--it keeps it on its toes (literally).
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #3  

Default This program

Thanks baffled. This program is a whole body workout that is fairly intense (at least for someone in my lack of condition) It's only 30 minutes but the muscles get REALLY tired - get to that shakey, "nope, not moving" point. And I do do break a sweat, get slightly out of breath, and heart rate goes up. The first couple of times I was very sore the next morning but this morning (did the workout yesterday) instead of being sore I felt different. I can feel that I used my muscles but it feels good instead of hurting. Kind of like I want to move and stretch, and push against things all the time. No, I didn't have a double esspresso it's not that nervous, twitchy thing - it's a "do it more" thing. That's why I was asking if I could do it every day
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ok, thanks for clarifying. No, you can't do that every day. Your body *needs* the recovery period to build muscle. Really truly, doing it every day will do more harm than good. I suggest adding in some cardio. If you like dvds, perhaps check out those "Walk Away the Pounds" dvds that everyone likes, or take up some other kind of cardio.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #5  

Smile drat

well poopie. That's OK - I was planning to add jumping rope eventually anyway so I'll just make it sooner than later. Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #6  
Dedicated to a better me!

S/C/G: 208/169/150

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up jump rope

Adding some jump rope is a great idea! I use it as my primary cardio workout, along with running and elliptical, and have seen tremendous results. My legs are stronger and better defined and I'm finally getting a booty!!
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote